Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hywel
    Lieutenant
    • Aug 2022

I've been very lax with updates...sorry!

First up is the hull reinforcement. I used SubDude 's carbon fibre rod mount to run a 3mm CF rod down each side of the hull (only one side done so far obvs). I did heat up the hull with a hot air gun (aka a pink hair dryer) and a section that was bowing a bunch DID pull back into alignment a bunch. I'm going to say this was a worthwhile mod. Thank you SubDude!

Secondly I took a section of hull that was a discarded print and tried some quick fibreglassing on it. Not pretty, but it validated my approach of stuffing modeling clay (Sculpy actually) in the holes in the hull to block them out sufficiently so that the resin didnt fill them up and make them impossible to reopen. Also, this was a shot at trying a slower cure resin than I've used previously on my sci-fi helmets (Bondo brand) with a different matting that I think I like better. Will try another test later today with the "old" stuff. I must say that the hull survived many drop tests even with this small, incomplete reinforcement which bare sections failed in an epic fashion.

More to come...
    Attached Files

Comment

• hywel
      Lieutenant
      • Aug 2022

FWIW, this build is on hiatus for a while. Need to learn some more submarine building skills before I continue down this particular route!

I did, however, pick up something else that is quite possibly a lot more challenging, but has a lot of the "extra bits" needed right in the box...more soon.

Comment

Working...