X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RanSan
    Lieutenant
    • May 2020

George Washington Drawings?

Does anyone have any good drawings for George Washington SSBN 598?

As a side note, and this is a dumb question because I can't see anyone want to give them up but, does anyone know or have any Greg Sharpe Drawings they are looking to get rid of?

Thanks,
    Randy
  • gantu
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

Regards Gantu

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

That's a PERMIT class. This is the GW.
      uss george washington submarine drawings - Bing images
      Last edited by Das Boot; 05-17-2021, 11:19 PM.
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• CC Clarke
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Aug 2020

These might be a little closer. . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ortho 02.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	150101
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Ortho 01.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	150102
        Attached Files

Comment

• RanSan
          Lieutenant
          • May 2020

That’s exactly what I had in mind. Thank you Mr. Clarke.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Those drawings are wrong. Edward Wiswesser, right? Tapers are wrong, control surfaces are wrong. Missile compartment interface unions not indicated...

Some of his stuff was OK. Most of his submarine stuff is crap. That big DeBoer SKIPJACK was built off of Wiswesser drawings and each copy of that kit is... wrong.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RanSan
              Lieutenant
              • May 2020

The only resource I have are the internet and these kind of forums up here in the wilderness of Canada. So with a lack of better drawings this will be another crap submarine. Did I mention I'm going to 3D print it?

Kidding aside David, were do you get your information and inspiration?

Thanks

Comment

• CC Clarke
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Aug 2020

SSBN 600 was my first boat (the Ever-Ready, Never-Steady, Teddy) and I'll be modeling it for 3D printing at some point. One part that many fail on is the leading edge of the turtleback - in front of the sail. Many models feature a pronounced lip. There was none; it was faired into the superstructure.

The STASS (Towed Array) was a kludge, but it worked - when we could find a Mike boat able to stream it. On the starboard stern plane outer edge, there was a box with a stub cable tucked inside. A diver would whip it out and we would tie the end topside just prior to getting underway. If the Mike boat was having a good day, they would throw us a line with their end of the towed array, and we would mate the ends. When we gave them the OK signal, they would cut power and unspool the rest of the T/A from a cable reel. Retrieval was always iffy. I've included a picture to show what the stub cable storage box looked like should you choose to mode a mid-70's version.

The 600 was the "First to do it last", meaning we were the first boomer to perform their final patrol. We left Guam for patrol 46, and ended up in Pearl in late '78. Both crews were combined, and we operated as a "Vessel of Opportunity" for anyone that needed a submarine to work with. That final year in Pearl was a lot more fun than drilling holes in the ocean on patrol. We had 688s running under-hulls on us, (the only way we could track them was with our fathometer) we tested the MOSS, (it drew our SSNs away every time) did a lot of CAPTOR ops, and most fun of all - penetrating skimmer screens (dropped a flare on a CV flight deck) and navigating "Bear Traps" (sonobuoy fields) laid by P-3s. We arrived at Subase Bangor during the big Trident infrastructure build-up and offloaded our birds at the Explosive Handling Wharf (their first time using the facility and testing their procedures.) I detached during the offload and headed to Mare Island for a good tour on the Seawolf. Quite a difference. I never wore my "boomer pin" again!

Click image for larger version  Name:	0860206.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	150157Click image for larger version  Name:	TA Stub Cable Storage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.0 KB ID:	150158
                Attached Files
                Last edited by CC Clarke; 05-25-2021, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by RanSan
                  The only resource I have are the internet and these kind of forums up here in the wilderness of Canada. So with a lack of better drawings this will be another crap submarine. Did I mention I'm going to 3D print it?

Kidding aside David, were do you get your information and inspiration?

Thanks
                  I worked as staff at the Submarine Force Library and Museum in the mid-to-late 70's (when it was still on the upper-base). I was tasked with the disposal of the Libraries General Arrangement and Docking plans of all boats from the A's up to the GUPPY conversions. We retained as hard-copies. However, shortly before I got the assignment, all the drawings had been copied to microfiche to free up valuable storage space. Those drawings some how never made it to the incinerator!

While at the museum I befriended Jim Christly (who has authored books and has contributed his art-work to several of the Norman Freidman submarine master works). On my behalf he secured a declassification of the SKIPJACK general arrangement drawings, which freed me up to take those home as well.

I'm the guy who fed Deep Sea Designs with the dope from which Greg produced those excellent SKIPJACK, STURGEON, and THRESHER model-builder plans.

Also, contributing to my growing files of American and foreign killing machines was our setting out to exploit the money being poured into the Defense Industry at the time -- Ellie and I formed D&E Miniatures to produce defense contractor display/promotional models of said products. Over the years our clients, by necessity, provided us with source documentation on their clients submarines. We secured plans for the German 209, 207, and other HDW boats; the Australian/Swedish COLLINS; American SEAWOLF; American OHIO; the modified Russian ROMEO's (Russian designs, built by the Chinese, upgraded electronics by the Americans, and operated by the Saudis' -- strange bed-fellow!); and the Russian AKULA (the tools from that industrial job later used to build my first r/c submarine).

The pictures below are just some of that defense display work, as well as private commissions and displays for museums:

My inspiration?

My Dad. Ellie, The works of Fred Freeman, Chestly Bonestell, Rolf Klep, and R.A. Smith. George Pal. And the Master model-builders that came before me.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jphatton
                    Lieutenant
                    • Jan 2021

David,

Thanks again for posting pictures of display model work over the years.

Nice to see that you also made spacecraft models, I recognise the Von Braun / Collier's series Moon Recon Spacecraft (with spherical tanks & cabin) as well as the iconic winged Ferry Rocket. Out of curiosity which museum / exhibition were these two models made for?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by jphatton
                      David,

Thanks again for posting pictures of display model work over the years.

Nice to see that you also made spacecraft models, I recognise the Von Braun / Collier's series Moon Recon Spacecraft (with spherical tanks & cabin) as well as the iconic winged Ferry Rocket. Out of curiosity which museum / exhibition were these two models made for?
                      Fred Ordway lll (you will recognize who that is!) contacted me through another professional modeler. He was brokering the work for IBM, that company sponsoring a book and symposium (likely modeled after the Cornelius Rayon one done at the Colliers offices so many years ago) promoting the work of von Braun and others back in the day who worked to 'sell' spaceflight to America.

The models -- part of a much larger exhibit -- were initially on display at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, then went to other facilities and eventually wound up at IBM Corporate headquarters.

Some of our best work.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RanSan
                        Lieutenant
                        • May 2020

Thanks for the picture of the deck and sail very helpful.

David you have had a career many of us envy. Your drawing collection must be amazing.

Comment

Working...