3d FDM Print vs Resin Print

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coryhenry
    replied
    I have the FDM hull ready for mechanicals. First I printed up some new bulkheads that fit the 2.5" and 3" MSD from Bob. As you can see in the picture the stock MSD is too large, the front of the bottom hull has to house the missile tubes. So now to determine how big for the ballast tank, any thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	typhoon cylinder setup.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	148422
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• coryhenry
    replied
    Well I took a little break from sanding to almost complete my first RC sub. Its a Kilo from Bob with all the bells and whistles. Running gear is in and working just waiting on a package getting here on Friday to connect the prop shaft.

Name:	Kilo almost finished small.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	148029

Leave a comment:

• skaboo
    replied
    would you be kind enough to drop me a line regarding the 3d typhoon prints thanks skaboo
    skaboo@talktalk.net

Leave a comment:

• coryhenry
    replied
    I finally got the hulls assembled but still alot of work to do to make it smooth and everything fit. Some observations; the resin hull is much heavier and much more brittle (as expected) but it is easier to sand and make smooth. The FDM hull fit better but will take more sanding work. I have almost finished printing all the parts. Once I get the hulls fitting together correctly I will start working the running gear.

Name:	Complete Hull small.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	147909
    FDM (ASA) in the foreground and Resin in the background.

Leave a comment:

• Sinksalot
    replied
    Yes you will see alot of imperfections in the resin hull prints if you resin printer is not set to the correct setting. Also your STL files need to be smooth as heck or your resin prints will come out needing alot of sanding and look bad. Any files I get from other people or buy I uses Netfabb program to smooth the outer shell for good resin prints, as the files are made most of the time for reg 3D printers. I own a Elegoo Saturn. This is what I am printing with the Saturn.
    Last edited by Sinksalot; 02-22-2021, 07:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Nice work! Looks like a fun project.

Leave a comment:

• coryhenry
    replied
    I keep working on the hulls, the Resin hull is completely printed, the FDM hull still has two large parts and all of the small parts. I have been smoothing and sanding the resin hull, but still alot of work to do. The resin didn't keep its shape perfectly so there is some contours that have to be filled and smoothed. The FDM hull looks to be much more in tolerance so should have less filling.

Name:	typhoon resin sanding small.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	147723
    This is the resin hull

Name:	Typhoon FDM sanding small.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	147724
    And the FDM hull (ASA)

Name:	Kilo Sanding small.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	147725
    And a shot of the Kilo sanding process. I have almost all the running gear done. The cylinder is up and running.

Leave a comment:

• coryhenry
    replied
    Slight differences in top and bottom dimensions that require some sanding to make the parts align. Nothing major but still worth noting, could probably be fixed with printer tweaking. I like the detail of the resin but I think the FDM in ASA is going to be more durable. When I get to sanding and fitting I think that will determine preference. I also think a hybrid approach would be great. The resin is excellent on all the planes and conning tower with ASA for the body, but it remains to be seen.

Leave a comment:

• RanSan
    replied
    When you say dimensional problems what do you mean? I’ll be very interested in your progress. So far which do you prefer?

Leave a comment:

• coryhenry
    started a topic 3d FDM Print vs Resin Print

3d FDM Print vs Resin Print

I am going about producing two of the Typhoon subs from Bob's store by two methods. One is using a Prusa 3d FDM printer in an enclosure using ASA and the other is doing it out of resin (SirayaTech) on a Photon Mono X. I will post updates and pictures here as I work through the process. So far I have completed printing one hull out of Resin and am halfway through printing the other hull out of ASA. The resin printer has really great details and is printing well. The only issue with the resin is alot of supports are needed to get it off the buildplate and it has some dimensional problems in several of the pieces. THe ASA is printing very well and I'm doing it in high quality in an enclosure. I has some of the same issue with dimensional changes but pretty much everything is on track. Here are some pictures of my setup and the prints
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Prusa Small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.3 KB ID:	147585
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Mono x small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	147586
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ASA parts small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.9 KB ID:	147587
    The ASA parts even show the small quad holes that are like pinholes.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Resin Parts small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.0 KB ID:	147588
    The resin has bee sanded some that is why some of the white dust.
    Attached Files
Working...