X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveNeill
    Commander
    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Wow, Rob. Mr. C handed you the super-sized **** sandwich! But, you're still punching. Good man.

Modern science may have fried some of your gray matter, but it also saved your life. These are good times, and place, to be alive.

David
    Absolutely!

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Looks like we could start a Mr. C club....... Glad you are here Rob!
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SteveNeill
        Commander
        • Apr 2020

Yep fought a long hard battle that nearly killed me with my late wife and her cancer. She passed after a 10 year struggle in 2013. I have since restarted my own life, left Hollywood and moved to Ventura by the sea. Met Mary (who also survived cancer and lost her husband to it) and we have lived happily ever after. So far. Knock on wood. These experiences really change one and usually for the better because if you never have figured out what's truly important in life you have now! Bless you guys! You are my heroes.

Comment

• SteveNeill
          Commander
          • Apr 2020

I was never able to get the rust pigments to show up well after clear coat so I used Nova color acrylics and made up two different shades of rust color and airbrushed a test on the hull with favorable results. I still need a bit more blending but it's working. Clear doesn't diminish it.

Comment

• Davidh
            Captain
            • Nov 2010

Nice Gotland.

Comment

• SteveNeill
              Commander
              • Apr 2020

Rob if I can be any help with the paint let me know. I didn't talk much about the Nova Color paints. It's a bit of a story. The short one is Mary and I both paint and Mary found these artist color paints. They are thick and in plastic jars. But I found they can be thinned with water and airbrushed. Not only that they work well on plastic, metal and wood. I even use them to pain my Free Flight model airplanes. The Bf-109 is one example.

They have a wide range of colors which allows you to mix your own colors from them. They take well to tints too. No one was more surprised than me by all this because on the whole Liquidtex type painters artist paints don't work well at all on models but these are killer paints. Tough, highly opaque, stick well, and once dry water proof. Lastly you get a lot of paint for a low cost.

Nova Color Artists' Acrylic Paint Supplies discount prices, Fine art acrylics, mural paint, iridescent paint, pearl paint, scenic paints, faux finish acrylic paints, fabric paint, fiberglass paints, sculpture painting, surfboard painting. Online Artists Acrylic Paint & Mediums Art Supplies Shop Online

I started in on the lighting. 20 lights in this little girl. I got in 8 so far. All straw hats 4.5 with 220 ohm resistors and liquid tape to seal off from corrosion. I modified the cylinder as per Bob Martins diagram and it works great. This will never be a true static sit on the bottom diver but it will also never be lost at the bottom of the lake either.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                Commander
                • Apr 2020

David you will like the Nova Color. Try it.

I don't have a pony tail. I think it fell off with the rest of my hair. I don't hug trees but I have been known to sit under one and read a book. I like the beaches here. I tend not to notice states, countries, or much else anymore, I just enjoy being alive still.

I had a real DOH! moment when I observed how you wired the salon lights. Thanks for enlightening me again. Very smart. See they do have smart people in Florida, I know 3 of you now, Simon Mercs, Bob Martin and you! But it's the same here. Far more dummies, but then again they are everywhere.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2020

Not to mention tape for positioning the lenses!!!!!

Comment

• SteveNeill
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2020

Rob it's actually a quick build IMHO. The 66 inch version, not so quick. But then again this is my fourth build.

Nearly done I got all the lighting in yesterday. Not as neat and tidy as David's but very functional and water proofed with liquid tape. These straw hats LEDs are super bright and will show up on a sunny day at the lake. Once all the lenses are on they will defuse a bit. I used Matt Krylon clear one the googly eyes to frost them which helps.

I used warm whites and a warmer one for the wheel house. The wheel house is painted and today I'll add the last of the lenses and wheel house parts and call this boat done. All that's left to do is the WTC wiring and add some ballast and foam.

Next week it will be time to add water to the test tank at the studio and trim this boat. I have a large fish tank that is big enough I was able to trim my Skipjack in it and some other smaller boats. Makes it nice to test and trim at the studio not to mention the great video I'll be able to get.

I've added some pictures of the last customer build I did of the trails in the test tank.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                      Commander
                      • Apr 2020

Test tank pictures of my last costumer build.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                        Commander
                        • Apr 2020

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	139673Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	139675 Same tank with the my Skipjack being trimmed.
                        Last edited by SteveNeill; 05-22-2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2020

Thank you David! Always had a sweet spot for the Skipjack since the time my dad would come home from work talking about his work on the boat at Mare Island.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2020

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	139691I love this picture Mary took. The boat was hauling the mail being chased by a school of bass. Fast attack and fast escape.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                              Commander
                              • Apr 2020

Except for a bit of work on the WTC this boat will be ready to test at the pool next weekend. I am very pleased with the model and it's outcome. It isn't without it's little problems as with all garage kits you have to make adjustments. Nothing a bit of Apoxie Sculpt and paint can't fix. Can't wait to run her!

Comment

• SteveNeill
                                Commander
                                • Apr 2020

Pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5587.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	139755Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5586.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	85.8 KB