German type XVIIb

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MFR1964
    replied
    Yeah, that man had a gift for building insane mechanical things, i was lucky enough to learn the trick of the trades from him, made a simular type VII myself, learning each step in the process from my mentor, he never builded something for me, he simply said, you know how it works, you've seen it working, now, build it yourself.
    At the end i had a working type VII, his best comment was, that looks like a nice type VII, i told you that you can build submarines.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Manfred, Thanks for sharing the great background history of your VII. It has a lot of special meaning to it. Very neat. I ran across the videos you made some time ago about bringing it back to operational running. The working features on that submarine are amazing. Your friend was also super talented!

Nick

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
    I can not say it enough, really great work! Your craftsmanship and attention to detail is amazing. By the way, your type VII looks awesome in the background. Can’t wait to see you get this new boat in the water!
    Nick, i've gained my craftmanship during the years by falling and standing up, being teased by David in the good sense, still hate him, the type VII is a special one, build by my mentor, which has reached roomtemparture, i decided to take it over with the intension to get it back in working order as a tribute to him.
    Scale is 1:35, giving a length of about 2 meters and a weight of 17 kg, fully fuctional with 5 torps and all other moving stuff.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    Manfred, love your work and documentation. Thank you!
    Thanks Tom, as long everybody takes the time to document their build with the good and the bad we can learn from each other.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Originally posted by bassplayer1
    Fantastic work Manfred !!!
    Thanks my friend, don't forget about yourself, i've seen your excelllent work with my own eyes.

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    I can not say it enough, really great work! Your craftsmanship and attention to detail is amazing. By the way, your type VII looks awesome in the background. Can’t wait to see you get this new boat in the water!

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Manfred, love your work and documentation. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• bassplayer1
    replied
    Fantastic work Manfred !!!

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Thanks, it is still a lot of work, but i have high hopes she will see water within a few weeks, that is, testing if she is watertight.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Very nice! Awesome work!

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    I had a small delay last few weeks, SWMBO wanted a new kitchen, she barricaded the cave, finished up this project a few days ago, so finally some more progress on the hatches,

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2081.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	142225

Brass M3 screws and stainless steel nuts to fasten the hatch.

Name:	IMG_2082.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	142226

Made the screws pointy, more as a experiment to see if i can push them through the rubber seal at the deck, most work is cleaning all screwheads with the dremel to get a good surface for glueing.

Name:	IMG_2083.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	142227

Name:	IMG_2084.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	142228

All hatches are done in one move, the pointy experiment prove to be useless, used a small drill to prepare the holes, much easier.

Name:	IMG_2086.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	142229

Finally i could place all components which will be placed underneath the tower, for now i have to glue down both the scope and the schnorkel, this will be tricky, everything has to be in line and square.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied

Name:	IMG_2076.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	141670

Turned the holders for both floats.

Name:	IMG_2064.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	141671

Name:	IMG_2065.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	141672

The deck is done, glued on both sides, added RTV on top of the glue to protect it on the long term against UV, it tends to make the glue brittle.

Name:	IMG_2079.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	141673

The floatholders are glued in place, added some threaded holes to secure the floats.

Name:	IMG_2077.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	141674

Name:	IMG_2078.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	141675

For now i started to add the rubber seals, next step will be adding all the M3 screws to keep the lexan hatches tight to the rubber seals.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Tom, you're right with the function of the magnetic switch, in the end it will act as the main controller for shutting down the compressor when diving, activating the levelkeeper, and shutting down the main valve on the ballastttank.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Manfred, you magnificent engineer, the float’s magnet when it get close to the switch will be the safety to turn on or off the pump?

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    One side of the deck is glued down, started with the inside, made my needed floats during glueing.

Name:	IMG_2063.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	141423

This side is done, have to repeat the process on the inside to get a secure connection between the hull and deck.

Name:	IMG_2061.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	141424

Used a tool to get the lipseals inside, used some vaseline to ease the job.

Name:	IMG_2062.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	141425

Before i glued down the last things on the outside i inserted the lipseals into their holders.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2066.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	141400

While glueing i started with the floats needed for my boat, the left one is for the compressor and leveling the pressure inside the boat, the right one is for sealing off the main valve of the ballasttank.
    That black thing is a magnetic switch complete with the magnet which will activate it,

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2069.JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	141402

Glued down the magnet inside the underside of the main float.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2067.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	141401

I stole David's idea of the safety float from the SAS system, ehhh, only half of it to be more precise, inside you can see the seat which will be closed by the float itself.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2070.JPG Views:	0 Size:	47.8 KB ID:	141403

Both floats with rubber seals and the construction to keep them inside the tube like structures.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2071.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	141404

I need free access to get the air inside, decided to drill holes all around and on top of the tube.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2072.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	141405

Had to make a slight modification to the main float, to prefent wobbling around, glued down some styrene strips to get a better fit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2073.JPG Views:	0 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	141406

The finished products, made a mistake with the height of the ballast valve float, still have to solder a longer tube to it to bring it to proper height.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2075.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.7 KB ID:	141407

Adjusting the magnetic switch to the proper height and position with a multimeter, i can secure it by tightening up a screw.

For now i have to turn the feedthroughs for placing the floats on the deck, this will be done during my second glueing session.

Manfred.

Last edited by MFR1964; 07-05-2020, 10:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...