Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	469.8 KB ID:	133624
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	469.6 KB ID:	133623
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	416.9 KB ID:	133622
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	373.5 KB ID:	133621
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	376.1 KB ID:	133620
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	459.7 KB ID:	133619
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	133618
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	393.6 KB ID:	133627
    I think it was some 12 years ago I started to Build a Sturgeon Class Model with Production in mind. I shelved this project along with a few others I am doing. I have dusted off these Masters, which is about 90% ready for Mold Making. In the Past A Long, Long time ago I made all of my own parts and laid up hulls, the work was not as perfect as I would have liked to do for Production Sales! And with that Said, I am Joining Forces with David Merriman, & Bob Martin for this model to be produced as a kit for R/C or Static Submarine.

David, as we all know, is a Master of many R/C sub-fields, his Casting are the finest I have seen, his Contribution over the Many Many Years has made R/C Submarines in reach of all who wish to Play!

Bob, is more than on his way to be the One-Stop R/C Submarine Shop! He has been in the game as far back as I can remember, and his influence with the Nautilus Drydocks is a Fine Place to have my Products sold.
    My Brand is STARK MODELS, and I like to Produce Masters for reproduction, and Detail other people's work that makes good plugs/masters, but Lack the Surface Details, then pass it on to the best-qualified business to copy/produce my work. I am Not the Greatest, that was Ali, but not bad for an Aging Body Man.

Sturgeon Sail;

With this sail, I wanted an interior mounting plate for each Scope Housing to hold them in place for a few reasons. The Modeler can remove them at will for transport, replace easily in case of mishaps, or even rig them to move up & down. The sail and housing pieces number in Six Parts including the Planes. Scopes and antenna are some Nine separate pieces.

Recessed Scribed details were copied onto the Master with the help of Greg Sharps Plans, and Photo researching. After the Shape is formed a heavy coat of primer is applied, this Prime acts as the Scribing substraight for me. Aditionational detail can be made with the use of Primer for recessed or raised details, with the use of Tape and primer coats.

Markin out the Details is the First step for proper Placement, I Never scribe in and a Hatch here and there, then move on further down the model to add other details. Execution of Placement is the Key to a finely Scribed Modle where all the Details fit with an Eye view & measurement.

Scribing Patterns that match the desired detail and found with existing templates, or hand Crafted for sheet brass and filed to shape for the Plans.

I Scribe with a simple Fine point Stainless Steel old Dental tool I ground down, I also have an extensive collection of scribe blade that fits into my Exacto knife.

I count my passed for depth when all details are done I clean up with a light sanding. Then I wipe the Scribe with an air-dry Spot putty, Nitro Stain or this Kombi. Than another sanding flush to remove the excess putty. and a pass with the Same Scribe tool will finish up my work. then a final Prime, smooth sand with 800 grit and the part is ready to copy.
    What one Man can do, YOU can do too!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Oh, man! I'm loving the mast and fairing foundations you're incorporating in the sail master. And, what an array of scribing stencils -- a collection that has grown through the decades. Superb scribing work there, Brian.

This kit is going to be a killer-diller! And I could not agree with you more: the three of us should play to our respective strengths -- and that's happening here: You're the master maker; I'm the tool-maker, resin and metal casting guy; and Bob is the glass guy, customer-contact-guy, and point of sale.

Now, if we all can just stay alive long enough to see this and other projects through. (Knock on wood, or RenShape if near-by).

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• STARK
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Nov 2009

Your so Right, Getting old the body goes and it's a Nightmare! But as long as my penis works I will be happy ;)

Comment

• STARK
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Nov 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	133633Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	522.6 KB
ID:	133634Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	133635 A few imperfections I see but here is the Primed Sail after Scribe and prime.

Comment

• Tom Spettel
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Dec 2009

Thats great you are working at it again i was following when
          you first started it. And in 1/72 nd!!! Yha!!
          Last edited by Tom Spettel; 08-06-2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• STARK
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Nov 2009

Thanks, Tom, it feels good again to be at her, been too long!!

Comment

• SSN687
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Nov 2015

7 August 2019
              I’m looking forward to following the build and development of the 1/72 Sturgeon. I have been waiting for a Sturgeon since I heard about RC submarines. I waited on another producer to restart his production of the Sturgeon forever, now I have been bugging Bob about it since he has purchased the 1/96 version. I’m excited to see that you are working on the 1/72 scale Sturgeon. I hope that it is fitted with a WTC larger than 2.5 inches. The engine room of the 2.5 WTC is like putting 15 lbs of stuffing in a 10 lbs turkey.
              I’m specifically interested in a long hull, I was on the R.B. Russell (SSN-687) last of the Sturgeons.
              Are you doing a long hull Sturgeon also?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SSN687
                7 August 2019
                I’m looking forward to following the build and development of the 1/72 Sturgeon. I have been waiting for a Sturgeon since I heard about RC submarines. I waited on another producer to restart his production of the Sturgeon forever, now I have been bugging Bob about it since he has purchased the 1/96 version. I’m excited to see that you are working on the 1/72 scale Sturgeon. I hope that it is fitted with a WTC larger than 2.5 inches. The engine room of the 2.5 WTC is like putting 15 lbs of stuffing in a 10 lbs turkey.
                I’m specifically interested in a long hull, I was on the R.B. Russell (SSN-687) last of the Sturgeons.
                Are you doing a long hull Sturgeon also?
                The 3.5" SubDriver is a perfect fit for Brian's 1/72 STURGEON, not to fear. And there is plenty of room in the after dry space for your fat fingers with this one.

Here are some shots of that SD as well as how big it is next to a 1/72 THRESHER, wich is pretty much the same size as the 1/72 STURGEON.

David
                Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 08-07-2019, 10:46 AM.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• STARK
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Nov 2009

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	133681
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	477.3 KB ID:	133682
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	403.6 KB ID:	133683
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	498.9 KB ID:	133684

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	558.2 KB ID:	133686
                  {"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"133687","data-size":"full"} I had in the past researched the Long Version SSN 683 USS Parche? and it really is just a matter of a hull insert to lengthen it. An add on center section wound be available for the model in time, First I have to again research information of length and where the section would be added. Simple to do, but I need to know where to place it in the model, added length, and surface details with location to be accurate.
                  The Sturgeon was the Cold War Super Hero and must be represented correctly by me.

Thor's Sturgeon was my First R/C Submarine, I wanted a SkipJack, but David asked me to by Thor's model instead, to help out a Friend just stating in Sub Kit Sales! I was Not Disappointed, it still, is a Fantastic Model and runs Rock Steady!! That's why I went 1/72 scale, don't want to step on other's hard work, and it's a Great Scale to play with.

The Sturgeon had a rescue sub try out's and I would like to see a scale model on its back one day. The towed sonar is an add-on part I like to incorporate too.

Sub Driver's, the 3.5 is what I had in mind, David has done all that work with the Permit above, so it's a Perfect Match!

Hard to find, Photos and Drawings are what I like to ask of All here to post what you have, this is what I need more than ever. Some of you may have even served on the boats and have few photos around, post them in the Sub Photos section, we all can use them.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by STARK; 08-07-2019, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• SSN687
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Nov 2015

Set the time machine to way back Sherman. If I remember correctly frame 57 was the Rx compartment door and the extended hull portion was just forward of the Chiefs table in the crew’s mess, the library. On the piping tab I think that it would be frames 49a, 49b, and 49c

Comment

• STARK
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Nov 2009

Ah Sherman, was that Mr. Peebody? Thanks, I have not seen that plan set in some time!!!

Comment

• SSN687
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Nov 2015

Sea trails

Name:	ssn687_at_sea_6.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	133713
                        sea trails

Name:	ssn687_at_sea_4.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	133714
                        Diving

Name:	ssn687_ps_1.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	133715

Comment

• secrtwpn
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Feb 2012

It's too bad none of the Sturgeons were kept as a museum.......

Comment

• SSN687
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Nov 2015

13 December 2019
                            I was wondering if there has been any development towards the production of the Starks, Merriman, & Martin 1/72 Sturgeon (long hull) or a date that the 1/72 Sturgeon would start production and be for sale? I have been waiting for a 1/72 Sturgeon since I heard about RC submarines.

Thanks
                            Ernie

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SSN687
                              13 December 2019
                              I was wondering if there has been any development towards the production of the Starks, Merriman, & Martin 1/72 Sturgeon (long hull) or a date that the 1/72 Sturgeon would start production and be for sale? I have been waiting for a 1/72 Sturgeon since I heard about RC submarines.

Thanks
                              Ernie
                              First, re-introduction of the Thor 1/96 STURGEON. No telling where we'll shoe-horn the 1/72 STURGEON project. Right now we're knee-deep in the re-design of the SubDriver.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...