X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • STARK
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Nov 2009

TYPE VII D Minenleger

I bought this Revell 1/144th Model VII D to build, and I took some time to put a few aftermarket add on to enhance the Model. Revell hit the ground running with their Submarine Model line, and with all the Scales they have covered everyone has a subject they want or plan to build. I like to build Static Display, for IPMS Contest, I also build R/C to play with. I have this Boat in 1/72 with a After Market hull extension for the Mine's that one of these days I would like to build, their is a Local guy that enjoys running down R/C subs with his Surface Target, I'm thinking a few well placed mines with enough Monofilament could be a problem for his Screws as he plays the Pond Bully!
    I took a look around and found some PE for this model, Oto Gerza has a Super line of Photo Etch for the Revell line that blew me away when they arrived, his Site WWW.RCSUBS.CZ.

Normally I think of the end model, it's Display how I want the Model to be seen when complete, what will the main focus point be, the degree of war patrol wreathing. the more the detail I can place on a subject the Better! For this Model, I went to the Books, Line Drawing, and Photos give me the necessary placement for just about anything we can copy and add to our models. I started with opening up the Flood vents from the backside of the hull, with the use of a Light Board, the silhouette of each flood hole is easily ground away till paper thin. A # 11 blade and some steel wool cleans up the work nicely. Oto does a Great job supplying PE Flood Vents Plates that you can did out the section and add this detail. me I fine it easier to did them out from the reverse side.

A few strips of Plastic Stock adds Inner Structure to floods over the Saddle Tanks, this some may find wrong, but check your Photos, they were their!

the Deck, I found the simplest way to add this was again Plastic Strip Stock, I found the size that made up the difference of the Kit Deck, but left the needed thickness of the PE deck to fit Perfectly Flush. With a inner Pressure Hull made from Plastic Sheet, and a few other details added so the superstructure will have some detail to be seen threw the open deck and vents, I secured the decking with CA and filled the seem lines with brushed on Primer.

The model has hull detail that Revell has overdone in all their U Boat line, scale wise a Rivets would be the size of your Palm, and weld lines about a 2X4. I plan to leave the hull rivets in place and just sand them down a tad. The Tower will get replaced with an add on Resin Rivet made by Archer. These are just a decal you apply to the model and then paint over. the Saddle tanks and pleasure hull Weld lines I am replacing with the Archer product, they make scale weld line too.
    Attached Files
    What one Man can do, YOU can do too!
  • gantu
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

Nice work brian :-)
    Regards Gantu

Comment

• STARK
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Nov 2009

Thank you Gantu, hey I got your XXII here and I am going to ship this week my friend!! So I will see if their is a way to track it and let you know.
      What one Man can do, YOU can do too!

Comment

Working...