• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raymic
    Ensign
    • Dec 2018

1/48 Trumpeter U552 Early Version Build

Hi
    Fairly new to this forum but I've read it a lot.
    I've been building this beast slowly for the last year or so.
    Unfortunately as most of you know Trumpeter unfortunately did a woeful job in terms of accuracy.

Although I'm no Type VIIC expert like people like the great late Snakedoc RIP I have endeavoured to research as much as possible the amazing research of other experts , collected every U552 photo/video I could find, viewed other modellers work and exchanged notes to assist each other and tried to build as accurate as the kit and my skills and sanity allow.
    Due to some limitations I've had to use some 'Artistic Licence' to keep my sanity LOL LOL
    My research journey has even discovered some minor technical questions possibly never yet addressed which is exciting.

RED and White LEDS throughout.

My model is hopefully U552 in early version ie less the Windbreak and Wood Conning Tower panels.

Section 1 Torpedo Room. I had actually finished this until I realised all the Trump measurements were wrong so I have stripped it down and completely rebuilding it. Photos to come

Section 2. Radio Room section Complete but needs weathering and detailing with crew personal gear food etc. Also I might redo the floor structure

Section 3. Control Room. Completed (reasonably!!) correct floor curved structure. Detail to come.

Section 4. Conning Tower Attack Periscope Area.

Internals completely rebuilt. 90% complete. Ladder is missing in photos. Internal area extended below deck to be accurate.

Section 5. Conning Tower External.
    The Trumpeter kit Conning Tower is not quite the correct shape but I've let that slide to keep my sanity.....................Crew area, UZO, Attack Periscope Housing all completely scratch and rebuilt.

More to come.
    RAYMIC
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Raymic; 12-09-2018, 06:07 PM.
  • Scott T
    Commander
    • May 2009

Looks great Raymic.

Comment

Working...