• Mar 2013

Outstanding job.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
      Outstanding job.
      Thank you, sir.

I'll get back on the ALBACORE job after I take care of some back-orders for Bob.

Much good fun.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
        Vice Admiral
        • Mar 2013

I'm having a practice with the new gel coat. With any luck you'll have a new Beluga hull shortly (or you might have another pile of crap depending on how it goes).

Comment

• Aug 2008

I'm having a practice with the new gel coat. With any luck you'll have a new Beluga hull shortly (or you might have another pile of crap depending on how it goes).
          Excellent. Just give the lay-up a couple of days to transition from 'green' to 'hard' state before ripping the parts away from their tools. The big bug-a-bool with that first set of BALUGA hulls was the pin-holes in the finish and severe outward bowing of the two hull halves. Both problems should be addressed by improved lay-up methodology, and use of a proper gel-coat.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

In the last photograph, showing the various woven glass mats, is that last piece chopped strand? If it is, can you use that with epoxy resin? I thought that it was only for polyester.

Comment

• Aug 2008

In the last photograph, showing the various woven glass mats, is that last piece chopped strand? If it is, can you use that with epoxy resin? I thought that it was only for polyester.
              I've used it from day-one with epoxy -- the binder of the strands will 'melt' with either a polyester or epoxy chemistry.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Nice vid, Dave.

With regards to the chopped matt, there are two different kinds. The most common type has the strands bound with styrene, which melts down fine with polyester resins, but doesn't work with epoxy as it lacks the styrene content to emulsify with the matt. The second type is powder bound, and can be used with epoxy and polyester resins. The snag is that it tends to be more expensive and more difficult to find, plus it tends to come in more limited weights. I have limited experience working with epoxy, but have only used cloth reinforcement up until present with those resins.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                    Nice vid, Dave.
                    With regards to the chopped matt, there are two different kinds. The most common type has the strands bound with styrene, which melts down fine with polyester resins, but doesn't work with epoxy as it lacks the styrene content to emulsify with the matt. The second type is powder bound, and can be used with epoxy and polyester resins. The snag is that it tends to be more expensive and more difficult to find, plus it tends to come in more limited weights. I have limited experience working with epoxy, but have only used cloth reinforcement up until present with those resins.
                    Thanks, Andy. You're little water-tight camera enclosure made most of those u/w shots possible.

And thanks for the dope on the different matt strand binders. Guess I've just been lucky with the epoxy.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

I'm glad it's found some utility. Were the shots with the camera fixed on the boat using the enclosure, or something else?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                        I'm glad it's found some utility. Were the shots with the camera fixed on the boat using the enclosure, or something else?
                        I used your camera enclosure for all towed or on-model shots. The perfect little item. You must go commercial with that thing!

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

That is such a beautiful boat. Seems to handle well too.

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

When I built those little pods, action cams were still a fairly expensive item, and choice was fairly limited. So making a case for the (relatively) inexpensive 808 made economic sense, and it also has some advantage with regard to good hydrodynamics being of streamlined form. Fast forward to present day and action cams are cheap as they come, and many are already waterproof or come bundled with watertight cases. Not streamlined, but not hard to make them so with some creative use of plasticard etc.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Well done video sir, the sub is nice as well!
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                                Well done video sir, the sub is nice as well!
                                Thanks, Tom. Maneuverability and speed was on a par with the 1/96 SKIPJACK.

Now to finish the work on Scott's little ALBACORE. It's such a joy to be working with pro's again.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...