Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

1/96 THRESHER/PERMIT kit in pre-production

I'm completing the tooling for a soon to be released kit. A new manufacturer commissioned me to do the masters and tools a while back. The eventual kits will feature GRP hull; resin sail and appendages; white metal propeller, yokes, and detail items; acid-etched MBTV's, MSW grates, flood-drain grates, painting stencils (hull numbers, hull name, draft markings); and dry-transfer markings.

The tools are done, and as I write this I'm popping out parts for two models. The primary function of those two models will be to check fit, and to work out assembly methodology and chronology -- steps that will be presented to the eventual customers in the form of a DVD, and website (under construction) PDF.

I've been working on this thing, off and on, for over ten years. The reason my customer and me have been quite about this is that -- unlike other American (so called) submarine kit manufacturers -- we refuse to muddy the marketplace with un-kept promises of, 'soon to be released' product. Products that never sees the light of day... Homey don't play that game!

We're soon to make these available. But. No promises. No money 'up-front', no big-ass announcements. Just a tease. And here it is:

David
    Who is John Galt?
  • reddevil
    Commander
    • Jun 2009

Simply awesome, sir.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by reddevil
      Simply awesome, sir.
      So will be the retail price-tag. Brace yourselves!

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
        Vice Admiral
        • Mar 2013

You're a dark horse. Remind me never to get into a poker game with you.

Comment

• secrtwpn
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Feb 2012

..................I'll start saving my pennies

Comment

• Aug 2008

Just pulled the first set of GRP parts. Came out perfect. Ready for production work.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

That is a Christmas gift! Merry Christmas!
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bwi 971
                Captain
                • Jan 2015

Nice work........any reason that the fwd Z-cut will be so far towards the middle of the sub?

Not the mention the spherical end-constrains?

Did you realy integrated the hatching iwo the sail into the mouldings.......that is slick sir.

Grtz,
                Bart
                Last edited by bwi 971; 12-26-2017, 05:55 AM.
                Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971
                  Nice work........any reason that the fwd Z-cut will be so far towards the middle of the sub?

Not the mention the spherical end-constrains?

Did you realy integrated the hatching iwo the sail into the mouldings.......that is slick sir.

Grtz,
                  Bart
                  Thank you, Bart. I did this with our first kit, the 1/96 SKIPJACK too. The idea is to make as much of the hull ridged as to forestall any radial warping of the structure. It's an easy matter to make up the hull halves by sliding the open face of the upper hull over the extending SD attached to the lower hull -- the Z-cut does not get in the way.

By 'spherical end-constrains' I assume you mean the quarter-spheres that fair the ends of the three hull masters. They permit overlap of the glass during GRP lay-up without bunching and wrinkling.

Not clear what you mean by 'hatches' in the sail. I assume you mean the foundation that aligns and holds the removable masts and scopes? If so, yes, that foundation is molded in with the resin sail proper. I try to introduce as much scale and practical structure into a part as possible. By the way, Dave Manley is a Master at that kind of work -- when Kevin and I evaluated his masters and tools after the Caswell buy, we were amazed at the engineering he put into his submarine kits. Manley took us back to school!

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2015

thks David....those quarter-spheres that's gona be a real help when I make hulls in the future.

I'm sorry for this hatching thing I don't know the right word for it, looks like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-26 14_05_30-hatching - Google zoeken.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	124442

I see it on the upper hull were you will make the opening for the sail.

Name:	2017-12-26 14_13_15-1_96 THRESHER_PERMIT kit in pre-production - The Sub-drivers Forum.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	124443

Grtz,
                    bart
                    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971
                      thks David....those quarter-spheres that's gona be a real help when I make hulls in the future.

I'm sorry for this hatching thing I don't know the right word for it, looks like this

Name:	2017-12-26 14_05_30-hatching - Google zoeken.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	124442

I see it on the upper hull were you will make the opening for the sail.

Name:	2017-12-26 14_13_15-1_96 THRESHER_PERMIT kit in pre-production - The Sub-drivers Forum.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	124443

Grtz,
                      bart
                      Ah! 'cross-hatching' an old drafting trick to indicate wall thickness and material to be removed -- applied mostly to orthographic drawings. In todays CAD world idiots have never learned how to draw or read plans.

Yes, this indicates where to open up the top of the sail to afford access to the sail-plane linkage and SAS snorkel. The 'dimples' at the leading and trailing edge of the sail indicate where to punch holes to pass the machine screws that make fast the sail atop the hull.

Like this:

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• reddevil
                        Commander
                        • Jun 2009

Any idea about the final budget we'll requiere for the hull and fittings?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by reddevil
                          Any idea about the final budget we'll requiere for the hull and fittings?
                          Now, this may be wildly off the mark, but here's how I would price it (all retail pricing):

Hull kit 650.00

r/c system and devices 400.00

SAS SubDriver 500.00

You'll drop about 1.5K

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            Now, this may be wildly off the mark, but here's how I would price it (all retail pricing):

Hull kit 650.00

r/c system and devices 400.00

SAS SubDriver 500.00

You'll drop about 1.5K

David
                            And everybody went quiet after that.......you scared them…….you should have priced it 1499.00

Now serious looking closly to the details on the rear rudders, diveplanes and sail you know, when you get your hands on one of these, you will have an eye catcher at the pond

grtz,
                            Bart
                            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Your very kind, Bart (STOP THAT!)

I emphasis that the numbers I gave are mine, not those of the guy who will own this tooling, and produce kits from it, or the eventual retailor(s) -- if he elects to go that route.

The kit price I suggested is very 'iffy' at best.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...