X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hicksy
    Ensign
    • Oct 2017

snorkels

I am building the German V11 sub. My question is this,. Can I buy or make a snorkel setup where I can utilize the front scope as an air intake?
    I have the one that that goes under the deck but I would like to be able to intake air at scope depth. Tom
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Why? If (and this is an assumption on my part) you're rigged to operate the ballast sub-system in the SAS mode. you already have the ability to commence the blow at or well below 'periscope depth'.

Sure, you can turn a scope tube into a snorkel. Go for it if that blows up your skirt.

Here's the right way to do it:

[/URL]

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
      Captain
      • Jan 2015

Do you use rubber or silicone as valve seat material David? (I know it's written as rubber on the pictures, just wondering)

grtz,
      Bart
      Last edited by bwi 971; 12-12-2017, 04:36 PM.
      Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
      "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971
        Do you use rubber or silicone as valve seat material David? (I know it's written as rubber on the pictures, just wondering)

grtz,
        Bart
        It's the same RTV silicon rubber I use to make resin casting tools. Specifically it's BJB's TC-5050. I cast a thin sheet of the rubber, then use a circular cutter to produce the round discs that are then glued (more RTV) to the moving element of the snorkel head-valve mechanism.

Notice that there are two types of snorkel head-valve mechanisms. The 'horizontal' type is for broad, but low of height sails (pre nuclear submarine designs). The 'vertical' type is for skinny, tall sails (modern submarine designs). As we sell SD's for specific type submarines, we provide the appropriate type snorkel mechanism that accompanies the SD.

I also employ a rubber element in the safety float-valve -- part of the SAS ballast sub-system.

David
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 12-12-2017, 06:18 PM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• reddevil
          Commander
          • Jun 2009

A doubt: If you begin to blow the tank before the snorkel head is open, Doesn't it tend to create vaccum inside the tank? And doesn't that vaccum mantain the valve closed against the snorkel?

Comment

• reddevil
            Commander
            • Jun 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010012.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	124334
            ANd if you use a large periscope like the one on port side of my sub, or even larger (you can see a video at in You Tube AKULA II SEA TRIALS)

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

Yes, it creates a vacuum, but the opening is only just over 1/8". The vacuum is pulling against such a small surface area (aided by a significant mechanical advantage in the arm) that the float has no problem breaking the seal.

Bob

Comment

• bwi 971
                Captain
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

It's the same RTV silicon rubber I use to make resin casting tools. Specifically it's BJB's TC-5050. I cast a thin sheet of the rubber, then use a circular cutter to produce the round discs that are then glued (more RTV) to the moving element of the snorkel head-valve mechanism.

Notice that there are two types of snorkel head-valve mechanisms. The 'horizontal' type is for broad, but low of height sails (pre nuclear submarine designs). The 'vertical' type is for skinny, tall sails (modern submarine designs). As we sell SD's for specific type submarines, we provide the appropriate type snorkel mechanism that accompanies the SD.

David
                Thks....damn every time you post pictures here......you beam me back to school.

Grtz,
                Bart

"Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971

Thks....damn every time you post pictures here......you beam me back to school.

Grtz,
                  Bart

When ever I get a compliment from you, Scott, Andreas, William, Dan, and a few others -- guys of demonstrated skill -- it makes me tingly all over. (Good luck scrubbing that imagery from your brain!).

I now secure from kiss-ass mode.

Just passing on what the Greats taught me directly, through magazine articles, club get-togethers, regattas, and seminars. I stand on their shoulders and its my obligation to pass this good stuff on as well.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

Hey. We've just made gay marriage legal over here.... so if you guys would like to get just a BIT closer... you could...ah.... Oh, never mind.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                      Hey. We've just made gay marriage legal over here.... so if you guys would like to get just a BIT closer... you could...ah.... Oh, never mind.
                      ... and the thread takes a very disturbing turn!

(I leave the keyboard for a moment to scrub my brain with Drano).

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Wow, "Sam, never mind what they say here, just cover your eyes until we return to our regular programmed show" I think it is safe to look now......
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bwi 971
                          Captain
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

When ever I get a compliment from you, Scott, Andreas, William, Dan, and a few others -- guys of demonstrated skill -- it makes me tingly all over. (Good luck scrubbing that imagery from your brain!).

I now secure from kiss-ass mode.

Just passing on what the Greats taught me directly, through magazine articles, club get-togethers, regattas, and seminars. I stand on their shoulders and its my obligation to pass this good stuff on as well.
                          Disclaimer
                          Before continuing reading……. For those who throw up easily take the advice from Tom to heart, cover your eyes or take precautions……place some kind of bucked beside you within hand reach.

I’m going to expose myself here but I’m at an age that I don’t care what others think of me.

I consider life as climbing a mountain, there are different way to get at the top if I’m allowed to reach it, but the scenery is good, so hell I’m enjoying the climb for most of the time.

Along my climb I meet a lot of people, they all influence me, good or bad. But if I really dig to the core here, there are only a few encounters that change my life drastically, those people are or were not aware of it until I told them. I was lucky to meet 6 and I’m 47 years.

And you are one of them David.

Does that come with adoration, hell no, most of them I don’t really know they just had an enormous impact of my life.

So your statement “Just passing on what the Greats taught” does not go up for some people…..It goes beyond that.

Grtz,
                          Bart
                          "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• reddevil
                            Commander
                            • Jun 2009

I already read the topic about SAS system and got all the doubts solved. Thanks.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Bart, I agree and understand. I consider a true David a friend.
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...