Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 598602G
    Captain
    • Jan 2017

Dave when I talk to Don I will have him put you on the list for a Golf. He should be able to make some kits quick as I am sending him 3 complete sails and 3 complete resin sets with the molds. All he will have to do is lay up 3 hulls. George I don't eat salads. Lettuce here in CA causes cancer didn't you know that? LOL

Comment

• 598602G
      Captain
      • Jan 2017

This Golf is sold to Bob Eissler. Bob I hope you have room on your mantle to fit the Golf next to the Delta

Comment

• Albion
        Captain
        • Dec 2008

The side view drawings don't do it justice, the Victor looks so much more brutish than the Akula.

The he side by side photos of the Charlie and golf also show how big the golf is, it looked a bit cartoonish with the big sail, but next to another vessel you can see how much presence it has
        Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• 598602G
          Captain
          • Jan 2017

Look what the post office chic showed up today with as well as a bunch of WWII IJN warship plans. IJN I-68. Renamed I-168. You think the Japanese ripped off the Germans for that one?

Comment

• bwi 971
            Captain
            • Jan 2015

Were do you get all this stuff Tim? I like your out of the box taste of subs.....I'm starting to hate you.

Grtz,
            Bart
            Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• 598602G
              Captain
              • Jan 2017

I have been finding killer plans on feebay. Also have gotten some real good plans from Don.

Comment

• type7
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Apr 2009

Hi Dave,
                I have Tim's Golf II hull. Can I buy one of your 3 motor bulkheads? How much are you asking for it? Is it for a 3" or 3.5" sub-driver? Also Tim said you might be willing to sell the pieces for a snoop mast?
                My email address is: schutzen2@gmail.com if you would like to reach me that way.
                Thanks,
                Bob Eissler

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by type7
                  Hi Dave,
                  I have Tim's Golf II hull. Can I buy one of your 3 motor bulkheads? How much are you asking for it? Is it for a 3" or 3.5" sub-driver? Also Tim said you might be willing to sell the pieces for a snoop mast?
                  My email address is: schutzen2@gmail.com if you would like to reach me that way.
                  Thanks,
                  Bob Eissler
                  Thanks for asking, Bob. I sell exclusively through Nautilus Drydocks. Contact Bob Martin.

Yes, I have plenty of the three-motor bulkheads. Do you want a complete SD (static type) for the 1/72 FOXTROT or do you just want the assembled and tested motor-bulkhead?

Caution: Though the GULF was of similar hull form to the FOXTROT, I would imagine that the sail would displace about three-times the water as the FOXTROT sail (assuming same gauge lay-up). Rick Polumbo, originator of the sail and hull GRP parts for the FOXTROT, laid up aircraft gauge GRP parts thine ... and I mean 'thin' with a capital T.

Further, I don't know how thick the GULF hull and sail parts are, so I can't work out the above waterline displacement, i.e. I don't know how much floodable volume to work into a SD for that boat.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2017

Dave the Golf hull thickness is about the same as my other boats. Around .090 thick. Used epoxy resin so it is a little porky. Whole sail is free flooding. Maybe Bob could weigh the boat and see if that helps you out.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by 598602G
                      Dave the Golf hull thickness is about the same as my other boats. Around .090 thick. Used epoxy resin so it is a little porky. Whole sail is free flooding. Maybe Bob could weigh the boat and see if that helps you out.
                      Good idea, the specific gravity of GRP is a bit over 1. Does the hull separate at the waterline -- that would be perfect. If that's the case, weigh the upper hull and sail and I can take it from there. I would fudge-factor in another 15% to the ballast tank, just to be sure (better too much ballast water, then too little).

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2017

Upper deck separates a few inches above the waterline. Was only way to do it. Should be able to stuff a 3.5" WTC in it with no problem id need be.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by 598602G
                          Upper deck separates a few inches above the waterline. Was only way to do it. Should be able to stuff a 3.5" WTC in it with no problem id need be.
                          OK, Tim. I assume you have a hull and sail there. Would you weight the upper hull and sail for me (and estimate what the percentage of below-waterline structure is to total upper hull structure). With that dope I can estimate the amount of ballast water needed to drag this sucker down into the deep-blue-sea.

It's going to be a 2.5" cylinder, as that's what the 3-motor bulkhead is designed for.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• type7
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Apr 2009

It will be just the 3 motor bulkhead I think. Surprised you got that to fit in a 2.5" cyl. I am using a easy driver in the Delta and pass thru wires to a separate dive cylinder for diving. Think I will have to do that here too, Tim's glass is pretty thick so I am not sure there will be enough vol. in a 2.5" cyl. to make it work right. Could make a bulkhead that steps to a 3" cyl. Will weigh the sub tonite.

Comment

• 598602G
                              Captain
                              • Jan 2017

Dave, Bob has the only Golf boat that I made from my molds. Bob needs to weigh the boat. I have the Golf molds here all boxed up and ready to ship to Don just so you guys know. I am sending 3 completed sails and 3 complete appendage resin sets with the molds so the only thing Don has to do is make 3 hulls to make 3 kits.

Comment

• type7
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Apr 2009

Measured the Golf II. Total hull weigt is 68.4 oz. The removable upper center section with conning tower is 14.1 oz. My best guess is that this weight needs to be doubled to calculate the water needed for displacement, or 28.2 oz of water minimum. I calculate a 2.5" water cylinder would need to be 9.9" long or about the same as the Gato sub-driver. A 3" cylinder needs to be 6.9" long. This might be minimal and a little extra volume would not hurt

Comment

Working...