Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

Continuing with the sergeants quarters which holds the aft battery deck too. Behind the bunks is the kitchen and some storage space.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

Photobucket changed their terms and now don't support 3rd party hosting for free users anymore. I guess, I'm not the only one affected. Nevertheless, all pics can be found here:

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

You could also post pictures to the forum. That way they live on even if a hosting company does something like this.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
          Captain
          • Apr 2014

I post on multiple forums. So having the pics in a single place is somewhat more comfortable.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

What a treat looking through your photobucket folders! Most instructive. Very good stuff, sir.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
              Captain
              • Apr 2014

Thanks. I thought you know my other static cutaway subs.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                Captain
                • Apr 2014

O.K. here we go again. Haven't been lazy building, just lazy documenting it. So here is the almost finished petty officer section with kitchen and storage on the crew level, and the aft battery room below. The crew quarters are built without changes, but the battery compartment had to be reworked substantially, as it was completely wrong as delivered with the kit. Actually Trumpeter is repeating the CMK mistakes. Makes one wonder......

For the battery deck I did the same as for the front one. Shorten the battery cells, make a silicon mould, cast them in resin, and the make new ones. Then do the proper arrangement, not the tilted one. Encase everything in styrene, as the batteries are surrounded by u-shaped oil-tank. Took a while, but now I'm pleased with the outcome.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2014

Working on the Diesel engine compartment. The diesel itself is a masterpiece. Over 100 parts, including PE parts. Very nice, but nothing for folks with unsteady hands or bad eyesight. The rest is bizz as usual. As it is a engine room, I went a bit more heavy with the filters and washes. Should be nice.....

Comment

• bianco64squalo
                    Ensign
                    • Apr 2017

Hi Dr,
                    fantastic work !!!! As you said, ( your ) diesel engine is a real masterpiece.....maybe the best item in Trumpeter's kit....
                    I'm working on my model too, but I prefer go slower, adding particulars and superdetailing the model...
                    Cheers.
                    Filippo

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2014

More detail work on the diesel engine. Aging and weathering with different filters and washes. Time consuming.....Attached the six tiny PE hand wheels for the cylinder check and the bigger red wheels as well. Getting there.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        Welcome to my underwater realm!
                        • Aug 2009

Holy cow, that's gorgeous!

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2014

First coarse assembly of the diesel engine compartment. Looks quite good. Again, the part below the floor has to be altered quite substantially to actually make sense. But that's doable.....

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2014

Getting close to the finsih line with the diesel engine compartment:

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2014

O.K., haven't been lazy building, but shooting pics. So here's an update of the almost completed last section, the stern compartment with the electric motors and the stern torpedo tube. Unfortunately Trumpeter got kinda lazy with this section, so I already reconfigured the lower back (white styrene) where the stern trim tank was located. The pressure hull had a triangular gap with respect to the floor. I filled this gap. The complete lower part of the pressure hull is missing. I'll have to scratch build this as well.......so even if it looks quite complete, still quite a way to go....

Comment

• bianco64squalo
                                Ensign
                                • Apr 2017

Fantastic !!!!!!

Comment

Working...