X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Boattrainman
    Commander
    • Mar 2016

I agree.

I very rarely comment on other threads, I don't have the time to be honest, with my own build log and trying to scratch build a WTC.

But as a fan of styrene and it's unlimited modelling potential, it's great to see what you are doing, plus your detailed knowledge of the subject is enlightening.

Top work!

The Boattrainman
    ''We're after men, and I wish to God I was with them........!''

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

Thanks folks for the nice feedback.....keeps me going :D

Comment

• DrSchmidt
        Captain
        • Apr 2014

O.k. the 3D-printed pats for the vent valve actuator and the respective hatch arrived.Basically it was a thread rod-driven knee joint.

The valve was driven by a hand wheel in the control room. Outboard transmissions drove the thread road. Those will be added later. Looks quite good installed:

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Simply put, incredible. I am so enjoying the details you are adding. You are a ROCK STAR sir!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

Wrapping up the bow section. I began adding the ribbing on the inner sides of the hull. Also the front torpedo storage container is installed (I added some mounts).

Also added some supports to the platform of the vent valve actuator of ballast tank 5. And it got its drive shaft.

The bow buoyancy tank will also get a 3D-printed vent valve. It was operated from the bow torpedo compartment by a handwheel that actuated an angular wheel gearbox.

I reproduced the gearbox using brass and resin:

Gearbox glued into place, PE handwheel installed and painted.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
              Captain
              • Apr 2014

The 3D-printed vent valve for the bow buoyancy tank arrived and is installed. Flimsy little thing.....

Also the drive shafts for the actuation of this valve are done.

The hull got the internal ribbing. Slim ones for the wet part, and thick ones for the interior of the pressure hull.

I also started working on the next room and found a first problem. The battery arrangement is wrong. To fix this, I had to cut the battery cells about 4 mm short - now they are correct. To add the missing cells, I'll make a silicone mould and cast the needed cells in resin.
              Last edited by DrSchmidt; 03-25-2017, 03:10 AM.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                Captain
                • Apr 2014

Working on the officers room which alo holds the sonar room, a toilet, and the radio room. It's pretty straight forward, but it requires allot of painting wood panels.

A side wall of the sonar room with the GHG console:

And tons of tiny boxes with allot of knobs and indicators. Ideal for training a steady hand....

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

Beautiful work!

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2014

Thanks. Tedious though.....

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2014

Continuing with the build of the officers' room. The beds, the sonar, and the radio room are assembled.

Under room for the crew is the forward battery room, the ammo storage, waste and fresh water tanks and all that surrounded by the forward oil bunker. The battery setup in the kit is wrong and incomplete. I shortened the battery cells and cast additional ones from resin for the back rows of cells. Then tedious painting......

I also made the battery service sled from brass wire and styrene sheet.

I also changed allot with respect to the structure of the battery room. The ceiling got two rail for the service sled. The back wall is the inner wall of the oil bunker, that surrounds the battery room. The rectangular structure in the lower left is the waste water tank.

And I'm quite pleased with the look of the assembled piece:

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2014

Test fitting of the second section....looks good! But still allot to do. I designed some cool ammo boxes for the ammo bunker. The things in the kit don't hold up to the standard of the rest of the model. The ceiling of the officers rooms has to be painted and the LEDs installed. So enough to do before I can start with the control room.

Comment

• bianco64squalo
                          Ensign
                          • Apr 2017

Hi Dr, I'm Filippo from Padova, Italy.
                          I found this site this morning, and I visited immediatly your topic, because also I have the Trumpeter's 1/48 model, in my opinio a fantastic model, regarding the interiors and the possibilities of supeerdetailing them, a little less fantastic regarding the hull, that, despite the great availability of studies and articles, repeats the same Revell's error ( errors on flooding holes patterns, anchor position, etc...).
                          I'll follow your thread as a shadow, and I'll open my personal building thread as soon as possible in this site.
                          Now a question for you: I noticed that, despite your fantastic work of scrachtbuild missing particulars and structures, you missed to modify the ( orrible ) windlass piece, really, really coarse....
                          I'm looking to find some sources ( photos or drawings ) to rebuild this item in the correct shape....
                          And now, congratulations for your fantastic work !!!!
                          I'll make treasure of your superdetailing work, although I am also more exigent of you for particulars: the forward torpedo tubes have thousands of particulars to add at the kit supplies: don't you intend to add them at the model ? A small example of my accuracy:
                          Cheers.
                          Filippo

Comment

• bianco64squalo
                            Ensign
                            • Apr 2017

Hi Dr.
                            I have now completed the reading of your thread, and I'm fascionated by your U-Boat's structures and fittings knowledge, that allow to you to scratchbuild many beautiful items....simply incredible !!!
                            I'll copy all your improvements...
                            Can you please tell us where you found the necessary drawings or photos that allow your superdetailing work ?
                            5 stars work, indeed....

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2014

Hi Filippo,

I found all info online. But especially wih the torpedo tubes and the anchor winch, there is little information to make thing any better than they are in the kit.. Also, the front of the pressure tight hull is inacurate. So one has to play with the dimensions to get things somewhat right. And there are limits to what I'm willing to do. One could, e.g. add allot of tubes in the torpedo room.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2014

This time only one pic...the work of the last two weeks: The wall of the central control room. Quite some work as there are so many details to paint and weather.

Comment

Working...