X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

1/8th scale ALVIN research sub

In an effort to get off my butt and finally document my builds here, I wanted to begin where January 1st saw me... halfway through the buildup of a wonderful FX Models ALVIN research sub.

I actually found reference materials to be very lacking in terms of photos, and to make things even more challenging, ALVIN has undergone a host of changes over the years. Fortunately, I was approached by a gentleman by the name of Tom Ryder who not only built an FX ALVIN, but make it fully functional and donated it to the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution for display there. Using his help and photos, my customer elected to mirror his buildup and the iteration of the ALVIN that Tom elected to model.

The kit itself is really just two main pieces, the lower hull and the upper hull. There are also inserts for the viewports, a large, resin propeller, a dive platform and a chunk of pipe for the prop shroud. Almost everything else needs to be scratch-built.

The viewport inserts need to be inserted into cutouts you need to make in the upper and lower hull, glued in place and fiberglassed for strength. Likewise, the dive platform needs to be glassed onto the upper hull section along with the rear cap. Getting the inserts to line up is a challenge, as they are actually part of both the upper and lower hull, with the hull split running through the lower section of the side ports.

Detail pieces such as the tow hooks, sonar, current meter, rudder, floodlights, etc. were all modeled in 3D and printed on my home printer.

Most challenging to me was getting the paint finish acceptable. For whatever reason, this gave me more grief than I care to dwell on. Let's just say that I now vehemently hate gloss paint and leave it at that.

What you see below is the result of about 30 hours of work. This basically puts the hull at the "done" stage and I can move onto the creation of the watertight container and ballast system for the boat, which I will touch on here when I get a bit further down that path.

For now, I hope you enjoy what you see here. It's been a challenging build, but a welcomed departure from the normal subs that I typically build up.
  • SSN SonarTech
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2012

Wow! Nice
    US Submarine Force: Making the Navy worthwhile since 1900

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Bob, tell me you have a full set of lights installed. The Mad Scientist (Tim Senecal) in Colorado has an Alvin and when he turns on the lights it looks so real/cool. He did convert his to 433MHz and brushless I believe (always leaving room for correction).
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Absolutely! A full suite of LED lights are aboard, including a functional strobe!

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Tom, what was the purpose of converting to 433mhz?
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Why not? With the scarcity of 75MHz and future looking bleak, Tim did some ground breaking on the Open Source 433 MHz arena. In the U.S. you will need to have a HAM license (there are some disagreements about that due to the minimum watts used), but a tech level one is fine. With 433MHz, he can receive feedback on certain statuses, like AMPs used, temperature, RPM, Battery remaining/status, direction, depth, and I do not know what else he has made work. He has found the strength and range is as good as 75MHz.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Interesting, can you find out more about it and post it? Like where can we buy the radios?
              IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Mark, your wish is my command, here is the link: https://www.subpirates.com/showthrea...here-to-get-it
                Under the Technology section is other things Tim is doing.
                Here is the wonderfully illuminated Alvin.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Mark, your wish is my command, here is the link: https://www.subpirates.com/showthrea...here-to-get-it
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Tim_Senecal_Alvin_01.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	118585 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tim_Senecal_Alvin_01.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	118588

Comment

Working...