X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SSBN659
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

Uss blueback ss-581

My name is Bill Rogers. Some call me Will Rogers, but that's another story. I'm retired and live in California. My interest in subs stems from my training as a marine engineer (USMMA '66). Having spent several years at sea aboard merchant ships my eyes were opened when I toured the USS REDFIN in Baltimore many many years ago. It was like walking through a large diameter pipe with machinery packed in everywhere. Not like engine rooms I had worked in. Since that time I've been on several subs both diesel and nukes. Here is my scratch built BLUEBACK.

The real BLUEBACK is on permanent display at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in Portland. I discovered her in '97 while on business there and have visited her several times including while she was on drydock for overhaul in '98. I've photographed her inside and outside, topside and underside. Even managed to get a set of drawings for building the model in 1/96 scale. It took about 2 years to complete and she was displayed at the Maritime Museum in Vallejo, California during the submarine centennial.

The hull is laminated poplar and was turned on a lathe using a template and duplicator. The sail was shaped from plywood and the planes and rudder cast from wood masters. The masts were made from brass and aluminum stock as well as various odds and ends. The snorkel is brass.

The underside of the hull has the seawater intakes and overboards as well as the anchor and ballast flood holes. In addition, the TDU (trash disposal unit) overboard is shown on the port side. Finally the Masker Air System, rather unusual for subs, is also modeled using styrene round stock.

The only part I did not make myself is the prop. This came in a trade with a well known maker of RC hulls in southern California. I gave him a set of drawings and a pictures of the prop on display shoreside at OMSI. He had a prop made to scale for the model.

For the past 10 years the model has been in a display case at work and in my office at home.

Bill Rogers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SSBN659; 10-17-2010, 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling correction
  • SSBN659
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

I forgot to add that an article I wrote about the BLUEBACK overhaul, along with pictures I took, can be found in The Subcommittee Report, Issue 39, December 1999. It even has a picture of me at the periscope taking a bearing on OMSI.

Comment

Working...