Name:	DSCN0589.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	99724
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0595.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	99723I've always wanted to RC my little 16in., all metal Holland and when I saw the 1.25" WTC, it looks like it might be possible now...I'm a bit worried that the metal hull might act like a 'Faraday Cage', perhaps run the receiver wire outside? Anyway, the model performs very well with just the clockwork motor and will dive and surface repeatedly or one long dive/surface or just 'surface run', depending on the dive plane setting. I used the drawing by Jim Christley that's on the cover of SCR, issue #16. The model incorporates some Chinese junk toys and a Marx windup mechanism, the rest is brass and solder, lots of solder....I have a couple on the work bench now that are half done, so I'd like to try and convert one to RC. Has a time limit been established for the contest yet?

Joe
    Last edited by Kazzer; 11-07-2010, 09:47 AM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Mike and are are kicking around the close-out date. Later in the year, Novemberish I think.

Wow, what an innovative and unique application of wind-up technology. Yeah, the r/c signal won't punch through all that metal, use the existing jumper wire off the mast as your external antenna and you're off to the races. A very, very unique application of 'junk'.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redlite
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jan 2010

Thanks, David. OK, that's good, late fall will be plenty of time, so no excuses now. A note of interest, the model uses one of the things that the ADF eliminates, i.e., resistance, hence the open hatch and masts, which causes the sub to surface. I have a current build thread on RCG-submarines at the moment, showing the build process and even some old tin subs from around the world. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll place my order for the WTC and some equipment.

Joe

Comment

• redlite
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jan 2010

I received my 1.25" WTC from Caswell and it fits nicely inside the hull. I added brass control horns and clevises to the rudder and dive plane, then soldered the tail unit onto the lower hull.

Name:	DSCN1141.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	58895

Name:	DSCN1140.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	58896
        Last edited by Kazzer; 11-07-2010, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• redlite
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jan 2010

I soldered some brass channel for supports with rubber band hooks. A dual servo box seemed easier than trying to fit both servos in one box. A built in 3:1 reduction from motor to prop would be nice and the only thing I would change in the whole 1.25 in. system from Caswell. It is user friendly and versatile, worth the small investment. Next, a gray paint job and some flotation and she'll be ready for trials.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by redlite; 12-05-2010, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• redlite
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jan 2010

The deck has two screws and one bolt to hold it onto the hull. It takes about two minutes to interchange with the windup hull.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...