X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DELTA1DSV
    Ensign
    • Jan 2010

The Turtle 1776

This is my on going project, I was reading the book, and got carried away, I just had to build one, The body is made out of a 12" Dia copper float, and the conning tower is a 4 inch dia copper can the motors are
    2 x 650 , (no gearing here ) !!! you may cry, but what a beast, its been a real treat to play around with this idea, its like a kiddy in a sweety shop !!!
    I promise I will finish her off to submerege etc, but I am very bussy, keeping the wolf away from my front door !!! I'm working on the Bob Martin's Nautilus, but I thought you may like to see the Turtle after all it is the
    first Submarine in the world.So I thought I would enter it into your competition. Thanks for all your support, what a great community.
    Last edited by DELTA1DSV; 01-28-2010, 05:40 AM. Reason: text over lapping the video
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

For some reason your text is over-lapped by the video. Would you edit your post and move the two away so I can read your text.

And when are you going to ballast that thing down and submerge it?

Now ... THIS is innovative stuff! Well done, sir.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DELTA1DSV
      Ensign
      • Jan 2010

Thanks for your comments, I have re edited the text, it a real beast , the Turtle holds 13 Ltrs of water, about 30 LBS in weight, so its quite a challenge , to get it to submerege ( I'm working on that one) !!! because the prop is on the front , the rudder does not work at all !!! because there no water force to push againt it. so ( I don't how Daid Bushnell made the original one work !!!, thinking of making a gimal prop to work the prop from side to side in order to navigate it round the pond. I'm very bussy working, and other projects but I do promise to finisher her off and will add a flag too!! plus the bomb !!!.

Comment

• Aug 2008

You keep the speed down and the rudder will work. This was man-powered, so probably could only do 2-3 knots in the water (notice I did not say, 'over-ground' as this boat operated in concert with the New York tides and currents). Slow enough where hull produced turbulence did not completely blanket out the rudder. Also, the rudder was used a lot in the sculling mode; used as an oar to rotate the boat about its vertical axis as the vessel stood still in the water.

The rudder will work if you go slow.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DELTA1DSV
          Ensign
          • Jan 2010

Thanks, its real nice to hear from you, your so experienced, thanks, I'll try real slow, !!! In the video the directional control was using the the forward and reverse motion to direct the Turtle, !!!

It was great fun and a real crowd puller !!!
          I am planning to complete this model in may , so I would be pleased to hear your advise on " How to submerge " !!! I was thinking on the lines that as there is so much water displacement weight hear, that a free flood room may work best,and to be dramatic using a gas ballast tank, how ever there's not much room in side for a WTC, because of round shape, I think I could get a way with a 3 dia WTC say 6 long, and keep the 6/v lead acid battery in the wet , My rudder servo is made water tight is is direct mounted on the out side , !!!! the old motors for the props are also in the wet " I'll change for a slow 240.
          any advise is welcome or ideas,

Thanks for your support with this fantastic project, I do take my hat off to DB for inventing the Submarine in 1776,
          Last edited by DELTA1DSV; 01-29-2010, 06:16 AM. Reason: extra information

Comment

• RonP-UK
            Lieutenant
            • Feb 2010

Sorry to upset you but the worlds first recorded submarine was in 1578 made by William Bourne and chronocles of the day suggest that King James took a ride in it along the Thames although that seems unlikly.
            A few years later Simon Day demonstrated his first submarine in the Thames and said that if someone would finance him he would demonstrate the extent of his genius. Sadly for him someone did and when he
            submerged his boat in 50 fathoms of water the watching crowd waited with baited breath---------they are still waiting-----------however he did go into the record books as the worlds longest dive

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DELTA1DSV
              Thanks, its real nice to hear from you, your so experienced, thanks, I'll try real slow, !!! In the video the directional control was using the the forward and reverse motion to direct the Turtle, !!! it was great fun and a real crowd puller !!!
              I am planning to complete this model in may , so I would be pleased to hear your advise on " How to submerge " !!! I was thinking on the lines that as there is so much water displacement weight hear, that a free flood room may work best,and to be dramatic using a gas ballast tank, how ever there's not mush room in side for a WTC, because of round shape ,I think I could get a way with a 3 dia WTC say 6 long, and keep the 6/v lead acid battery in the wet , My rudder servo is made water tight is is direct mounted on the out side , !!!! the old moters for the props are also in the wet " I'll change for a slow 240.
              any advise is welcome or ideas,

Thanks for your support with this fantastic project, I do take my hat off to DB for inventing the Submarine in 1776,
              When you finally ballast that model down to the correct surface-trim waterline, you'll find that you only need about 2-4 ounces of floodible volume in the ballast tank. Why not make the ballast system a large diameter (horse/animal) syringe? It would be sealed on both the plunger wet and dry sides, so when pulled in, the wet side would fill with outside water, the dry side would compress the air within. Some servo/geared motor would move the piston arm. You work out the details.

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by RonP-UK
                Sorry to upset you but the worlds first recorded submarine was in 1578 made by William Bourne and chronocles of the day suggest that King James took a ride in it along the Thames although that seems unlikly.
                Where did you read that?
                My references state that Bourne outlined principles, but it was the Dutchman Cornelius Van Drebbel- in the court of James I, that put the ideas into practice, and demonstrated three different submarines over a period of time in the 17th century.
                Bourne died in 1582, 21 years before James I became King of England.

Comment

• DELTA1DSV
                  Ensign
                  • Jan 2010

I think your your getting a little hot under the collar !!!, perhaps I should have said that " The Turtle" was the first "operational" at war Submarine in the world with a bomb, !!! and the first to be used in a military operation !!!!!, I get your drift, be really is so important, !!!

Comment

• DELTA1DSV
                    Ensign
                    • Jan 2010

Thanks David,

Thats a great idea !!! and its a kin to the original way of operation, "what a great mind you have for ideas, " truely "EXCELLENT", and I can do that no problem. !!! my servos work under water too !!!

Comment

• RonP-UK
                      Lieutenant
                      • Feb 2010

One of the prolems of being an old fart is that sometimes you rely on a memory that is 30years old or more, I know that James was not on the throne in 1578 but it never crossed my mind until you brought it up so I dusted off my acient books and re-looked the whole thing up again and here is the confusing answer.
                      You are correct in that you say that Bourne's boat was never built but the idea was there and was perhaps sound. In "Submarines, the history and evolution of underwater fighting vessels" (Anthony Preston 1975) and "Undersea Warfare"(Richard Humble 1981) Bournes boat was 1578 and Van Drebbel some 40 years later and HE was supposed to have taken James 1 (1556 -1625) on a trip from Wesminster to Greenwich (about 15 miles) at a depth of 12-15 Feet) as it was man powered it seems unlikely.
                      A dutchman named DeSonne built a submersable in 1653 to have a go at the Brits (everyone wants to have a go at the Brits) and an Italian (Borelli) also built a sub in 1747 although I have little information on that one. I cant find my refference books on Simon Day but I think that was around 1650 ish. Whatever-- your claim that Bushnell was the inventor of the submarine is a bit off the mark, however it was the first sub to attack a warship (Brits again--see what I mean)and given a decent Black and Decker
                      he might even have succeeded. You have to admire these guys, it took over 300 years for a submarine to look practical yet they kept on trying. Just as a byline I would suggest that in fact the worlds first practical and what I would call a submarine
                      was probably H.L.Hunley.
                      Keep up the good work and I will look forward to seeing your Turtle as and when its finished.
                      Regards
                      RonP

Comment

• DELTA1DSV
                        Ensign
                        • Jan 2010

Hi Ron P and thanks for the history lesson, (you must be a retired historian). Its nice to get the facts sorted out, when the Turtle is finished I shall put an extra flag on her to remember you!!!

Comment

• DELTA1DSV
                          Ensign
                          • Jan 2010

Turtle 1776

Hi, well I am now back working on the Turtle, changed the drive prop motor to a 3 to 1 reduction gear box running off a 380 motor at 12 volts, the internal is now a complete "free flood room) to save my poor old back, !!! with the top 1/4 polly styrene (for pop up boyency) I've decided to use a pump ,in order to pump water into a bag inside the WTC , to pressurise the chamber to control the positive to negitive boyency, to control the dive., adding a little lead ballast to the bottom of the float , as a keel weight. ,IDEA !!! using a wheelley bin as my test tank,!!!!
                          (oh yer, the pumps reverse too).!!!
                          The rudder is attached working off my water tight servo, which is a direct mount on the outside of the hull. the verticle motor is still a 600 motor, but I have made an other gear box running off a 350 motor which I may change over , (under tests in the tank) to see how it performs, using to resurface,!!!

Comment

• DELTA1DSV
                            Ensign
                            • Jan 2010

Well as promised , this is the idea on how the WTC will work in the Turtle, Left and right independent pumps to dive and resurface centre WTC for electronics
                            hope you like this ,!!!!

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Your link doesn't seem to be working, I don't see any pictures.
                              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...