X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snow1992
    Banned
    • Aug 2013

Advertising deleted

Last edited by Kazzer; 08-30-2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• SSBN659
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

In this post I show a photo using my laser level to check alignment of the rudder and stern planes. The laser level has been very helpful in this and other important alignment tasks such as establishing and maintaining a centerline on the hull as the work progresses. I’ve marked the centerline with a Sharpie and sometimes have driven in finishing nails along the line to maintain it. The nails can be removed and the holes filled as the project nears completion.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2958.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	82915Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2967.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	82916Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2978.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	82917

Installing the linkages for the rudder and stern planes can drive you up the wall, especially on the Soviet boats with the long stern taper. One way around this at first seemed a bit drastic, but it worked. I cut out a hull section and made ready to install the linkage as shown in the photo below. Once the linkage was connected it was easy to epoxy the bottom hull piece in place.

Name:	IMG_3015.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	82918Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3018.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	82919

There’s more to come later.

SSBN659

Comment

• SSBN659
        Commander
        • Feb 2009

I’m jumping ahead here for a moment to show what the linkage looks like after several runs. I wouldn’t have been able to get it all in there if I hadn’t cut out the hull section.

Name:	IMG_3220.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	82970
        Although the boat ran fine for awhile, I found some seal leaks on the 3” WTC (now Sub-Driver) so I set it aside and haven’t worked on it for a few years.

Now, on to painting. I experimented with blue tape to mask areas that would end up white after painting the hull black or dark grey.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3283.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	82968Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3286.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	82969

It took a couple of times before I got what I wanted.

Name:	IMG_3290.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	82971Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3293.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	82972Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3377_2.jpg
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	82973Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3390.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	82974

Building this boat was a real challenge because it was my first attempt at a scratch build RC model. If I were to do this boat again, which I’m not, I would try to build the contra-rotating props that I’ve seen in several pictures of the Victor III. That would be an even bigger challenge. Right now I'm doing a major overhaul of the Alfa you see in the last photo. Perhaps more on that later this Fall.

SSBN659

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

What can I do to help you with that WTC?

dmeriman@aol.com
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSBN659
            Commander
            • Feb 2009

David, Thanks very much for offer but I've already replaced the seals.

I purchased the 3" WTC in 2005. Since then it has run my Permit and my Victor giving me several hours of enjoyment. I've even used the motor end in my own cylinder to drive my Alfa as a dynamic diver. You helped me several times over the years when I need a part or advice with never any questions asked and now 8 years later you are still there ready to help when needed.

Folks, I know of no better customer service!

Thanks again.

SSBN659

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Hey Will, I looked again at your thread from the Model Competition where you constucted a Forty one for freedom boat. Nice job. Where I am going with this is that your Victor is partially in a picture from that thread. That post was started on 4-28-2010 so youve had the victor for a while. Thanks for sharing all this with us.Click image for larger version

Name:	DustCollector.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	82997
              IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• SSBN659
                Commander
                • Feb 2009

You have sharp eyes, or good memory, or maybe both Mark. Yes, it's been along time. I looked back through some files and found I had started collecting pictures of the Victors back in 2004. It was 2006 when I started the model.

SSBN659

Comment

• Anuci
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2008

You are most likely a true modeler by the look of your work as presented, SSBN659. Scratch building is most definitely a skill not all are in the position to tackle, for one reason or another. One can certainly appreciate the skill level you have displayed here with your Victor class, taking it from nothing to the finished product as you have is most impressive. Your patience, and dedication to complete what you had started some time ago has certainly paid off. I had wondered if you have had the opportunity to sail the sub since completion, and curious of its performance, but non the less an excellent build. Good luck, in the Builders competition.

Al,

Comment

• SSBN659
                    Commander
                    • Feb 2009

Al, Thank you for your very kind comments. The Victor was my first attempt at fiberglass and although I made a lot of mistakes I knew could overcome them if I worked at it. I also wanted to share what I had learned from some really good modelers to show that even a novice like me could do it. And yes, I got a lot of runs out of Victor at our neighborhood pool. A funny thing happened at an early run. A young girl and her dad watching me run the boat at one point said "Why is it sitting on the bottom Mr. Rogers?" How do you answer a question like that? Unfortunately we moved when I retired and no longer have access to the swim club so Victor sits on a shelf in my shop.

Thanks again Al,

"Will" Rogers
                    SSBN659

Comment

• SSBN659
                      Commander
                      • Feb 2009

With all the discussion about post war Soviet subs including the Victor I went back into history and brought up this build. This was a one off build that I later sold as downsized my fleet. Sure would be nice to see a new thread on building a Victor III.

"Will Rogers"
                      SSBN659

Comment

• Aug 2008

I remember this WIP! Great job. And a first-effort too. And where can Bart and me purchase a copy of that drawing you showed in your most recent post to this thread?

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSBN659
                          Commander
                          • Feb 2009

Tried to send you a pm but your inbox must be too full. Please send me your mailing address.

"Will Rogers"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SSBN659
                            Tried to send you a pm but your inbox must be too full. Please send me your mailing address.

"Will Rogers"
                            David D Merriman lll
                            835 Holly Hedge Ave.
                            Virginia Beach, VA 23452
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSBN659
                              Commander
                              • Feb 2009

Thanks. I'll send you a tube of drawings in the next day or so.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SSBN659
                                Thanks. I'll send you a tube of drawings in the next day or so.
                                Excellent, sir. Much appreciated. I'll make my copies, get things in phase with Bart and we're off to the races, and return your originals. Much appreciated, Will.
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...