Views:	1
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	65639

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan210[1].jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	65638
    this is the first time we tryed the boat it was 1993 and the man in the picture is an old friend that likes to go swimming with it lolScuba Diving until he got his finger court in one of the vents and i almost drowned him as i was draging him to the bottem of charnwood waters lol what i would of said to his misses i dont know

Name:	scanne10[1].jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	65640

Comment

• Anuci
      Banned
      • Aug 2008

Hello John,

I'm affraid we don't get any younger with the passing of time, maybe with the help of your son and some weight lifters that you may know, it may then be possible to get that baby wet once again, lol, if for nothing more than to conduct some surface maneuvers with that hi-tech monster of yours.
      Naturally taking some video of the event along with still pics would certainly make it all that much more enjoyable as well as memorable, as I for one am looking forward to her sea trials :pop
      Btw, those torpedos are the icing on the cake, beautiful workmanship.

Regards,
      Al
      Last edited by Anuci; 12-17-2011, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• john robinson
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jan 2011

HI Al
        Yes you are wright we do not get any younger with the passing of time, i have always stayed away from putting torpedo's in to sub as i could see my self getting in to trouble lol. I have got a load of video's of the sub on VHS video tape in pal format have tried to convert to put on you tube but don't seem to be having much luck, hopefully when i take sub out next year like you said won't to take videos of sub in action. Sub is fully working now it works better now than it did 20 years ago, have been switching sub on in the garage to see how it behaves in this cold weather to see if the electronics behaves it self and it all seems to be working fine. Seem to have got quite a few people that won't to see the sub when i take it out down Charnwood waters where i live, when i first finished the sub and tried it the local radio ham club came down and also about 300 people turned up and then the local TV station Central TV and they started to video it what a day that was. The worst part about it was one of the guys who was helping to get the sub out of the water decided to pick the front end up out of the water and turn the sub around with the rudder on the bottom of the lake and broke it i was not best pleased as it even bent the shaft on the rudder as well .
        Thanks for the interest John

Comment

• john robinson
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jan 2011

hi guys this is an autopilot what will be going in to the sub if you noticed a garmin unit plugged into it the pcb. you can set waypoints with the garmin unit so the submarine will follow the preset pattern of the waypoints that you set i am still working on this tho

Name:	19122011317.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	65677

Comment

• Anuci
            Banned
            • Aug 2008

John,

Are you out to set a record for the most technologically advanced model submarine in its class? :biggrin: don't get me wrong, its all good.

As nice of a model it is, waypoints!. Out of curiosity, how long of a journey are you planning on making once the sub is set to sea that is?.

Using a GPS to set a predesignated course seems innovating, but somewhat takes the fun out of driving the boat were my thoughts. : (

However, sure sounds like another interesting feature to have built into your model. Good luck with that.

Al,
            Last edited by Anuci; 12-20-2011, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

You can always switch it off.

Comment

• john robinson
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jan 2011

one of the other things you will be able to do is send data back from the sub through radio link and would link up to laptop or PC with the soft ware that i have got you would be able to bring up on screen of the laptop the lake or what ever water you was on and all the data would be displayed on the screen where the sub is in the water doing its thing, plus would leave trail on the screen telling you the route which it has come from and where it is going. Its a good job i have got big battery's in the sub to run all this
                John
                Last edited by john robinson; 12-20-2011, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• john robinson
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Jan 2011

HI AL
                  Have always been interested in electronics and i like to have a challenge. GPS unit will also work with compass unit inside of sub the compass will keep sub on course when under water compass unit will also send back heading on video picture coming back from sub. I don't know about it being the most technologically advanced model submarine but i didn't think i would ever go back to submarines again but i must admit i have found that i have enjoyed rebuilding it even as though it is a pain in the neck some times, trouble is Al there is so much electronics in it now just the sub standing still pulls 2.5AMPS because of all the electronics but the sub does have one big battery to supply current .
                  I suppose i could enter the sub into a steering contest set all way points in to GPS unit and let the sub do its thing i don't think it will go down very well lol
                  Thanks very much for interest Al All the best John in the UK

Comment

• Anuci
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2008

I just may need to schedule a trip to the UK when the day comes that you launch big birtha, John.
                    I agree, having an ongoing read of the subs location can certainly make it all the better. Some of the waters I had sailed in were as black as oil, and loosing track of the boat even momentarily can be quite eerie.

Regards,
                    Al,

Comment

• john robinson
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Jan 2011

HI AL
                      Fine on you wonting to see the sub go when i take it out on sea trials again, as you seem to be interested in the sub if you like i can send you a DVD of the sub from 1993 was done in VHS format in pal i think the format in USA is NTSC video but i might be wrong, but what i can do is burn a disc DVD so you can watch it on your PC. I think i have got a DVD some where that will work on your PC can you send me a PM message so i know what your address is and i will send it to you if you are interested
                      All the best John in UK

Comment

• Anuci
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2008

PM Sent, John

Comment

• john robinson
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Jan 2011

HI AL
                          Sent you email hope you get it ok

Comment

• john robinson
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Jan 2011

more pictures of the boat and also a write up of the 1993 model engineer exhibition

Name:	SUB WATER 1.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	65762

Name:	SUB WATER 2.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	65763

Name:	1.jpg