X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Hints for the competition.

If you've not entered our competition before, you might like to check out last years entries. They'll give you an idea of the type of entry that received the best prizes.

see Last Years Winners
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • Scarecrow7087
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Aug 2008

Colour me dumb but I want to be absolutely sure. This comp is not just for Subs but will include "Targets" ( surface ships) as well?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

That's right. We very much appreciate good kit-assembly and model building here. Though the emphasis here is r/c submarines ... duh! ... if you have some exceptionally fine work to present to our Judge (guess who!), then it will be considered.

Please me ... or suffer my wrath!

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Time frame for entries?
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
          Time frame for entries?
          Up to 30 minutes before we close the competition. - About November. But points will be scored for a good amount of posts over a period of time, our readers want to see what's going on.

Comment

• roedj
            Captain
            • Sep 2008

Mike & David,

In one of the threads it was hinted at or suggested that only original, previously unpublished work would be accepted. I take it from the rules, or rather lack thereof, that this idea is not a rule. Please confirm.

Perhaps if you publish ALL of the rules in one place it may end some confusion (mainly in my head).

Thanks again for this wonderful competition,

Dan
            Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
              Mike & David,

In one of the threads it was hinted at or suggested that only original, previously unpublished work would be accepted. I take it from the rules, or rather lack thereof, that this idea is not a rule. Please confirm.

Perhaps if you publish ALL of the rules in one place it may end some confusion (mainly in my head).

Thanks again for this wonderful competition,

Dan
              As long as you haven't published it on our forum before in the previous competition, then its good!

As for rules, we'd rather make them up as we go along, that way we can give everyone more grief and pillory more victims - er- I mean competitors!

OK! Guys! Lets GO! Post something!!!!!!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

And it's never too soon to suck up to the head judge with money, sexual favors (oh wait, wrong gender competitors here, never mind), compliments, deep bowing, and rose petals thrown in my path.

... OR SUFFER MY WRATH!
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2008

3 weeks to my hull, then i can start :)
                  Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• oztruck
                    Commander
                    • May 2010

Here we go, looks like I will be the first to have a go.

When Lindberg announced the release of there two 1/72 scale subs I thought all of my Christmas's had come at once. Being an Australian and borne in Sydney just after the war I have always had a special interest in the Jap subs that raided Sydney harbor. So I just had to have a model of the sub that carried the 2 man mini subs that managed to beat the harbor defenses and fire two torpedo's sinking one ship. After much waiting and a lot of disappointment in what was actually being released I placed an order with Mike at Caswell and sat back waiting for it to arrive. What found in the transport box was akin to finding out there is no Santa. That as we all know now looked good on paper but was a big let down in real life. Apart from the model itself I was also having trouble finding any good information on ANY IJN sub but after a lot of digging I found enough to get started.

This is what I had to work with

Comment

• Aug 2008

Oh, goodie! I so love Horror stories. The more lurid, the better. Do continue, Oztruck!

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• oztruck
                        Commander
                        • May 2010

Many thanks for the encouragement Mr M.
                        The plastic kit that Lindberg produced is a bit of a challenge, seems like they BLENDED 3 or 4 IJN subs together and then added what they thought would be COOL on there new model. Makes one wonder what they have in there water cooler. I soon realized that there was no way with my very limited skills to turn this thing into a C1 class sub like I wanted to. What can a man do?. Being Australian and having "GIVE IT A GO" drummed into me from an early age I started to look at what other possibilities this heap of junk could be turned into. At first, information on any IJN was hard to come by but after a lot of looking and asking I started to build a good reference base on what I might be able to build. The info came in very slow to start with but after a while the quality and quantity started to build to a point where I could at last make a decision on what type of boat I could turn this heap of plastic into.
                        The boat that was going to be the easiest to convert the Lindberg thing into was a IJN B1 class, But the big question was which one?

Last edited by oztruck; 03-20-2011, 10:38 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Rpmtech1
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Dec 2009

They have crack in their water cooler. Its too bad they butchered that model, it would have been nice to have some jap stuff available. I look forward to see what you can do with that thing.

Comment

• oztruck
                            Commander
                            • May 2010

I have found a B1 that I think would be a good boat to model, It is the B1 type I-25 and its Skipper was Lieutenant Commander Meiji Tagami.
                            http://subart.net/tagami.htm It seems like he was at every big event from Pearl Harbor, Sydney, Melbourne, Pacific islands and even bombed the good old USA mainland. http://www.combinedfleet.com/I-25.htm He and the boat didn't make it to the end but few did.

So with the prototype found to base the build on, a good history of its movements all that is left is to find some photos of the I-25 and start working on getting the Lindberg thing to look the way I want it to. Let the games begin.

Comment

• oztruck
                              Commander
                              • May 2010

Here is some of the information I am using as a guide for this build. Looks like it is going to be a fun build.

NOW where did I put my dermal?

Comment

Working...