X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warpatroller
    Lieutenant
    • Dec 2012

Hai and Hecht Film Footage 1965/66

Bundeswehr film of the Hai and Hecht U-boats from 1965 / 1966. Hecht is seen in the opening. Most of the footage is of the Hai, the one that sank in September 1966.
    Hecht was stricken from the Bundesmarine register, two years later, in September 1968. Pretty cool to see some actual movie footage of them!

"Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."
  • zhuravlik
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2011

Beautiful footage indeed! Saved for reference and possibly future use.
    Bronco conversion anyone? Manfred?

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by zhuravlik
      Beautiful footage indeed! Saved for reference and possibly future use.
      Bronco conversion anyone? Manfred?
      It was hard enough to get my XXIII running, i'm more into WW2 stuff, maybe Warpatroller, he has two type XXIII subs, so he can build one WW2 style and the other postwar.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• Warpatroller
        Lieutenant
        • Dec 2012

I am more interested in the WWII XXIIIs also. But, I do like that big, over-sized Balkon hydrophone device under the bow on the Hai. When it was raised from the bottom, U2365 had the original form Balkon. It was enlarged at some point, after it became the Hai. The Hecht probably had the same Balkon modification. I haven’t seen a picture showing the underside of its bow. The Sonar device, on the upper bow, is a separate component and also a postwar mod.

I got two models so that one could be a training boat and the other a front boat. I’ll complete the training boat first, then the front boat second. Might pretend I am Manfred and attempt to put functional torpedoes in the front boat. The front boat will probably get a scratch built original form balkon, instead of the stock new form balkon the model currently depicts. The more I look at the Bronco new form Balkon, the more I see that it is not quite accurate in shape and form. I might end up scratch building two new Balkons.. Of all the XXIII model kit manufacturers, Special Navy (of the Czech Republic), came the closest to capturing the look of the real new form Balkon, with their Resin piece in their 1/72 kit. Even the OTW kit doesn't nail the look properly.

Two more Broncos, at some time in the not near future, could possibly end up being the Hai und Hecht. That all depends on how much grief I go through to get the two I have, completed and in the water. I don't know if I'm crazy enough to try to complete four of them..
        "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

Working...