X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reddevil
    Commander
    • Jun 2009

A couple of shots

Here you have a couple of short shots from my last patrol. Notice the remarkable way ahead the submarine keeps after stopping the engine in the first one.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by reddevil
    Here you have a couple of short shots from my last patrol. Notice the remarkable way ahead the submarine keeps after stopping the engine in the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le65pU3wuNc
    And it turns pretty good for a modern Soviet boat. My 1/72 ALFA has about a 15-foot radius submerged. Even worse on the surface.

You using a gas type ballast system?

How about some close up shots of the innards of that thing?

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

It uses an Engel piston tank, Dave.

The module is almost identical to Ramesh's, only he used a bigger tank, which caused a few issues at first. Looks like they're all sorted now.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Slick!

Thanks, Andy.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Peter W
          Captain
          • May 2011

Juan,

Watching your videos makes me really glad that I bought the Akula. Looks fantastic on the Water. I am still incredibly jealous and of the pond.

At least I now know what to do with the pink foam stand that gets sent with the kit!

Peter

Comment

• reddevil
            Commander
            • Jun 2009

Yes, it's an ENGEL piston system and the WTC is a copy of Ramesh's one (thank you again for your unvaluable thread about its building). The system was refurbished last winter due to a failure in the BTS, and tested a bladder system with a water pump. Went good, but you had to be very careful not to overfill the bladder. When piston system worked again, reinstalled it an rebalanced the submarine. Dived control improved. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	91663Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010015.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	91664

As you can see, surfaced waterline is a little bit higher than optimal one, but have to say she performs good enough surfaced. Trimming and balancing took it's time but its worth to do so, cause then you´ll have good perform also dived, as HHSNBN always recommend. Also thank you for that lesson. Have to say that witout the information and experiences learned in this forum, this results wouldn,t have been possible, so, to you all, pals.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Nice neat installation. Thanks. Hey, we learn from each other. Lot's of good hands giving good, experience-based advice. No BS.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

The system was refurbished last winter due to a failure in the BTS
                Was it the relays that failed? This seems to be the most common point of failure, and is cheap and easy to fix. I prefer transistorized power switching, which is much more dependable. Engel don't do transistor boards. A chap in Germany makes some nice boards which are proportional via magnetic encoder, but about 75 euro, so not cheap. Another alternative is Pololu who do a feedback controller, this one is very high tech in that it offers full PID tuning, but some might find setting it up a bit daunting.

Comment

• reddevil
                  Commander
                  • Jun 2009

No; have no idea about what failed. I checked and cheked, but no way. Then sent the tank and the BTS to ENGEL; they deeply checked and, surprisingly, told me everything was OK. So I mounted again and now is nicely working. Electronic mysteries.

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

No; have no idea about what failed. I checked and cheked, but no way. Then sent the tank and the BTS to ENGEL; they deeply checked and, surprisingly, told me everything was OK. So I mounted again and now is nicely working. Electronic mysteries.
                    There are no mysteries in electronics, they work, they don't work or they intermittently work/don't work.

I personally like to find something wrong if something fails, especially on something pretty hardcore like a model sub, because sods law says the next time that unit fails, it'll happen when you're down at the bottom of the lake.
                    Last edited by Subculture; 06-27-2014, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Mankster
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Apr 2009

Good to see your boat is still going strong. I found all the little appendages a little fragile, so mine is mainly on display these days but I just gave the WTC a whirl in the bath and it all still works fine, so she can go into active service at short notice.

Comment

• reddevil
                        Commander
                        • Jun 2009

Good to hear that. Yes some of the appendages are very fragile and you have to be very careful about them. What about a wolf pack patrol? BTW, I'm looking for Isaac Peral's submarine plans. Quite difficult to get, but if I can find'em, will try to build a 1,35 LOA operational replica. Stay tunned.

Comment

• vital.spark
                          Commander
                          • May 2010

Hello Juan Carlos,

I to am interested in Isaac Pearl's work after seeing the 2 replica's in Barcelona. Have you contacted the Barcelona Maitime Museum on plans?

I wish that I had known of you when I was in Madrid several years back. It took me 3 days to get my visit to the Madrid Maritime Museum completed. First day, I found out that they colse at 3:30, second day they had a Columbus Day function and closed at 1:00 (Museum is located in the Naval Headquarters Building). Nothing is translated into English!!!! Finally we found a guide who spole limited English. The saving grace was an American student in Madrid who was there showing his parents around!

Both Museums, Madrid and Barcelona are 1st Class and should not be missed!

Regards,

Myron

Comment

• reddevil
                            Commander
                            • Jun 2009

Hope there's another chance. Yeap; regret to recognize that our foreing languages level is quite low. Regarding to Peral's submarine, I tried with Naval Museum at Madrid; they said they have no plans about. BArcelona's Museum is "maritime", so they don't have plans either. I'm trying now with Cartagena's naval architects school, as they have done a replica. I've started my holidays today, and are near Cartagena, so I'll insist on it also at Cartagena's Naval Museum. Will tell you about the results.

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Have you tried getting in touch with Pedro Gomez? He seems to be very knowledgeable on early Spanish submarines and may be able to assist.

Comment

Working...