Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

The British WWI X-1 Turrett Submarine

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

high bow K class with turrets , cool, that would be a nightmare to ballast
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• herrmill
      Commander
      • Dec 2008

Didn't have much of an illustrious career like many of those other eccentric subs the Brits built. At least the Admiralty could be blame the Germans for this one since it was a copy of the proposed U-cruisers that never made it off the slipway. From the sounds of the following quote, I would presume it didn't have space for a proper wardroom with overstuffed chairs & walnut paneling.

By 1930 her commanding officer reported "internal arrangements not very satisfactory because of overcrowding with auxiliary machinery, accommodation is cramped, ventilation poor and the ship suffers from humidity, diving arrangements good."

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

I read that diesels were problem-children from the start.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

But don't you think it looks really good as a model? I love those gun turrets.
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Interesting looking beast. Probably about as hydrodynamic as a house brick once dived.

I think the X1 was the last gasp by the those in the RN who felt that submarines should operate in ways similar to the surface fleet, e.g. Big guns blazing or high speeds (surfaced anyway). The disastrous K and M classes, were the first attempts.

All subsequent classes were smaller and adapted better for their role as stealthy weapons of war. Perhaps the powers that be finally started listening to the submariners, having drowned more of our own men than the enemy.

Comment

Working...