X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

A couple of videos from last weekends Summer Dive-in

These videos were shot by Chris Netherway, at the Summer Dive-in, on the Sunday, when it rained. If you look carefully you can just make out the rain drops hitting the surface of the pool. It's like 'sub city' in some of these clips, because we were all huddled underneath a gazebo keeping (or at least trying to) dry, the subs were mostly operating in the same quarter of the pool- a bit of paint swapping going on!

• Pablo
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jul 2010

The sub in the 2d video seems to be an early XX century french sub (Grondin, Alose, Thon, Bonite ...)
    Any information about this model ?
    I love all these old subs before WW1
    My personnal website : http://www.loubet-modelisme.com

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Hi Pablo,

This is modelled on the Grondin. It's scratchbuilt in GRP by Chris Netherway. He builds his own radio equipment too- his transmitter looks like something designed for the military!

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Some more videos. The first of these was shot with one of the little 808 keyfob cameras. Notice the improved picture quality (and this isn't the HD model) over the other three films shot with an ATC3K.

Comment

• oztruck
          Commander
          • May 2010

Very good. The camera sub runs VERY well. I am impressed.

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

I love the tow behind camera gives a great view. gonna have to come up with something a little less obvious.
            Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

You could have a crack with some transparent fishing line and the two cord method that Mike mentioned in another thread about this. I've made some of these little casings up in GRP, which are a custom fit for the 808 keyfob cams. Add some fixed control surfaces to the rear and a hook or two, and you're good to go.

Just waiting for the perishing o-rings to turn up so I can try one out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	a4012254-198-eyepod.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	62610

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                You could have a crack with some transparent fishing line and the two cord method that Mike mentioned in another thread about this. I've made some of these little casings up in GRP, which are a custom fit for the 808 keyfob cams. Add some fixed control surfaces to the rear and a hook or two, and you're good to go.

Just waiting for the perishing o-rings to turn up so I can try one out!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8046[/ATTACH]
                I know its bigger and clunkier but ive got a Go Pro, complete with flat lens so it can focus UW. Its fairly neutral, so i think with the correct harness and some form of fins to stabilise and ballast, it could work. the footage is v nice

your o rings have perished already :)
                Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

The Go pro is a good bit of kit (HD version ££££!) and as you say a good bit chunker especially with the waterproof box they supply- shaped like a house brick. How inconsiderate of them not to consider us model submariners! One of our Dive-in regulars uses one with his Engel Typhoon. With such a big boat it doesn't seem to affect the handling at all, but with your boats I think you'd notice it a bit more. However you could make a housing from PVC/acrylic/lexan pipe like Chris Netherways, his housing was completely machined from plastic, I think he used PVC or possibly Delrin for the tail with brass fins. He uses a Flycamone2 which is quite a big bit of kit when compared with the 808 cams, which are about as small as you get.

Comment

• Albion
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                    The Go pro is a good bit of kit (HD version ££££!) and as you say a good bit chunker especially with the waterproof box they supply- shaped like a house brick. How inconsiderate of them not to consider us model submariners! One of our Dive-in regulars uses one with his Engel Typhoon. With such a big boat it doesn't seem to affect the handling at all, but with your boats I think you'd notice it a bit more. However you could make a housing from PVC/acrylic/lexan pipe like Chris Netherways, his housing was completely machined from plastic, I think he used PVC or possibly Delrin for the tail with brass fins. He uses a Flycamone2 which is quite a big bit of kit when compared with the 808 cams, which are about as small as you get.
                    My Koryu is a pretty stable lump, i don't see it having a problem with that on top. It was the typhoon one first got me interested in them. Plus i can take it diving. might be the biggest thing on a model sub but its the smallest dive video around

Looking at photos can see what a nice finned pipe they have here, roughly whats the OD on that ?

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Erm, not sure exactly on the diameter. I would say with my guessometer, about 60-70mm. The 808 eyepod enclosure is 38mm.

Andy

Comment

Working...