X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davjacva
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Nov 2022

Putting Two Tons of Crapola In A One Ton Crapola Bag

I saw Bob's video showing the correction for the y-connector in order to save space that was incredibly awesome. For some of you, I may show you something that goes a bit further. I had a problem as I was converting the Full-Option Tamiya Leopard tank from it's plastic hull with known problems, to a fully metal hull that not only corrects all the problems, but adds a lot of weight and strength to a flimsy plastic hull with some really beefed upped motors, and fully metal track. The sucker weighs over 20pds now and really looks like a tank when it's moving. I failed to mention a big problem with this conversion. The stock system has a twin-motor set, BUT one of the motors is for steering and the other is for drive. This is all controlled by the specific DMD for the vehicle that provides accurate sound and functions recorded at Krauss-Mafei of the real Leopard 2A6. The new system is a split system with one motor/ gearbox for the right, and another for the left. This absolutely wont work, so I got with a buddy of mine (Willy @ CUSTOMRCMODELS) and we spent an afternoon mixing and matching. With the stock model, the DMD, battery, etc go into the turret. In order to get all the functions/ operations to work, I needed a separate DMD from an older tank that has a split system and tie both systems into a single receiver. After a few hours and y-connectors we got it to work, but it all wouldn't fit. Willy does just about everything RC...even some subs, and he told me to braid every wire. I was used to that partially, as RC tanks create a lot of RF interference, and you really need to braid a lot of the wiring in order to cancel out the induced fields on the wiring. Now, he told me to braid the y-connectors and that it will all fit. Believe me, I was a skeptic, but it worked. I took all the y-connectors apart and braided them and they all fit and had some room to spare. Additionally, you should tag which wire is what, as afterward when troubleshooting is needed you won't be able to make out which is which. So here's the photos of the completed turret, the new full-metal hull, and the old stock hull. The WTC's in subs are a similar compact unit, not sure if they would benefit from it, or that they have the degree of RF issues that tanks have.
    Attached Files
Working...