X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Hi Skimmer - die Skimmer - a great video

Ok I hate smoking and its ill health effects - but this advert video has a great deal of recent relevance for me.

A good torpedo shot and RC sub for 1985!
    Many thanks to Nigel Edmonds over at the Association of Model Subs page for pointing this out.
    Suffice to say it made my day

Director: Peter Levelle. Creative team: Chris Street and John Foster http://www.cdpcelebration.com

If only we could deal with all annoying skimmers like this

Not sure about the rest of you, but a system like this to me is the ultimate way of saying
    "sorry I lack the stamina to go through life pretending you not an idiot."

Enjoy

J
    Last edited by Slats; 06-08-2010, 09:20 AM.
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • Tugrat
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2010

I like it but could someone tell me why the operator does not have a beard, wears a crumpled cap and has a faded white submariners jumper.

Other then that where can I get one of these models with an automatic targeting unit. I have a requirement for one to deal with frequency hogs, those who dont use the frequency board, non financial members, and rivet counters. If possible I also require cruise missle capability to deal with those people who fish whilst we are sailing (we do have exclusive use of the pond ((Council Permit)) and those who feed the birds water/land contrary to the signs.

Comment

• RonP-UK
      Lieutenant
      • Feb 2010

This advertisment was made over twenty years ago, The model is a Darnell "T" class belonging to Roger Serpill (founder of the AMS) and the torpedoes were in fact just blown out of the front half of a spare hull in a fish aquarium using a bycycle pump but the effect was brilliant. The ad won a golden rose award at Montreux.

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

I just love the way he's supposed to be controlling all that with a two channel Futaba Medallion transmitter!

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

I clipped the sub and torpedo shot out of the ad and slowed it up a bit.

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Given that torpedoes have been banned by what was Australia's premier boat club by a nanny state boffin who could barely cut styrene, let alone build something, who incidentally has NEVER seen working torpedoes, this ad hits me where I live.
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
              I just love the way he's supposed to be controlling all that with a two channel Futaba Medallion transmitter!
              What I think is even more interesting is that the boat's design for the ballast system was, according to Darnell's drawings, an old piston from a model steam engine, being powered by a motor, as a compressor inflating a rugby ball bladder. RCABS - if you like- yet claimed by others to be their invention.
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

It's likely that few people in the U.S had even heard of John Darnells models, after all I'd never heard of Dave Merrimans models until the advent of the internet, the only model from overseas that I was aware of were Engel boats, and that was because they were distributed in the Uk by a company called Slec at one time.

The RCAB's system does differ from the Darnell system, in that it uses the miniature pumps that became available about ten years or so ago. Before that, you would have had to make your own if you wanted to fit this type of system in a small boat, as the smallest commercially available items were the little pumps fitted in cheap tyre inflaters. A lot of folk with Darnell boats used these to upgrade the system, as the USE pump was pretty feeble and never really designed for the job it was being asked to do. However the physical size of them rules them out for any boat smaller than say three or four feet.

Here in the UK, water pump ballast sytems are the most popular, piston tank systems are also quite popular, with a few using gas. You'll still find a few boats about with the original Darnell system- there was a T-class at the recent Dive-in with the ubiquitous orange buoyancy bag, but they're increasingly getting rare.

Comment

• RonP-UK
                  Lieutenant
                  • Feb 2010

John Darnell was one of the truly superb modelers that we produce in the UK from time to time, he did a lot of work for Pinewood Studios on the James Bond movies amongst others.
                  I think it would be fair to say that everyone has seen his work in some form or another in the many films produced at that studio. His personal passion was military modeling and I have been fortunate to see some of his own work done for himself. His charge of the Scots Greys built into a coffee table was unbelievable. He was also a big fan of straight running boats and made a model of U47 to run as a surface runner in straight line competition in the late 1960s. The result of his success with this model was a load of requests to produce the hull for sale to the general public and I was one of those that got hold of one of his first hulls. By today's standards it wasn't so good but it was a big (63") U-boat and there was nothing else like it anywhere.This encouraged John to produce his first kit (British "T"class) it used the famous orange bag (made by SHG Marine) and a small steam oscillating engine (made by unit steam ltd)
                  As far as I am aware this was the worlds first fully submersible model submarine kit (early 1970s). From those early beginnings a few of us here in the UK struggled to make an RC submarine a practical model, at the time it was considered impractical by the experts of the day in model boat circles. But the bag idea had been around for a while, I made my first one in about 1965 from bits of junk and a home made steam engine and I wasn't the first by a long way, I think its a case of who invented the wheel. None the less John Darnell can be described as the grandfather of our hobby and his name should not be forgotten. His hulls continue in production by Hobbies By Design and are a fitting testimonial to his work.
                  I have no idea if John Darnell is still with us, I had heard that he passed on a couple of years ago and if so then I hope the water is clean and lump free where he is now.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Just read your over-view of John Darnell, Ron. Thank you so much for that.

We all stand on the shoulders of the Greats that came before us.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...