X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bassplayer1
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2010

torpedo

Look what happened to day while testing a torpedo! The back of it became loose due to bad glueing or I over did it with the gas! The fun starts at 2.00

Look what happened today, while doing some testing, when the back of the torpedo for some reason became loose!!! I wonder if that occured while loaded in the...
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Glad it was not in your hand or stuck in your sub! The actual explosion was pretty interesting, but the sounds your camera picked up are cool.

Originally posted by bassplayer1
    Look what happened to day while testing a torpedo! The back of it became loose due to bad glueing or I over did it with the gas! The fun starts at 2.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wATuGQI2_IY
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

Yannis,

That happened to me also a time ago, only it was during charging, the back-end plugged itself into the wall of the shop, the simple solution was, to make some pins inside the back-end for securing and use waterproof 2K glue.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Yikes! That horse trough gave us such a wonderful reverb!

That's why I cast my weapons from a single substrate. The different expansion rates of your different materials (aluminum body, resin ends, let's say) causes cracking at the sub-assembly unions. You bang up the body with liquefied gas. Discharge some of the gas. Big, sudden temperature change, the different materials shrink/expand. And ... Boom!

You can't play that bass with one hand, pal!

What happened to you is the reason I designed my gas-powered torpedo system so that the charged weapon can not be hand-held -- it must be charged and contained within the launcher till time of launch.

David

Click image for larger version

Name:	077.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	81026Click image for larger version

Name:	108.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	81027Click image for larger version

Name:	119.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	81028Click image for larger version

Name:	123.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	81029Click image for larger version

Name:	124.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	81030
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bassplayer1
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by trout
          Glad it was not in your hand or stuck in your sub! The actual explosion was pretty interesting, but the sounds your camera picked up are cool.

Thanks my friend! Exactly the same thoughts went through my mind!

Comment

• bassplayer1
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by MFR1964
            Yannis,

That happened to me also a time ago, only it was during charging, the back-end plugged itself into the wall of the shop, the simple solution was, to make some pins inside the back-end for securing and use waterproof 2K glue.

Manfred.

Thanks for the tip Manfred ! I'll do that for sure!

Comment

• bassplayer1
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              Yikes! That horse trough gave us such a wonderful reverb!

That's why I cast my weapons from a single substrate. The different expansion rates of your different materials (aluminum body, resin ends, let's say) causes cracking at the sub-assembly unions. You bang up the body with liquefied gas. Discharge some of the gas. Big, sudden temperature change, the different materials shrink/expand. And ... Boom!

You can't play that bass with one hand, pal!

What happened to you is the reason I designed my gas-powered torpedo system so that the charged weapon can not be hand-held -- it must be charged and contained within the launcher till time of launch.

David

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20092[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20093[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20094[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20095[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20096[/ATTACH]

You're so right David as usual !!! To be honest I never thought about the different materials and the way they behave! Stupid me!!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hey, we all learn these things one way or another.

Any day you can flip off the lights with a full set of digits, it's been a good day!

This is the stuff Material Engineers are made of, my friend.

David

Click image for larger version

Name:	wile_e_coyote.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	81040
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

I know that was a fail, but sheeze what a scale like torpedo explosion and noise!

Yannis - main thing is you're ok.

Good thing the Torpedo nanny's over here haven't seen the video - they'd put 2 and 2 together and get 75.4 as per usual.

Lesson here - buy David's product - have over 400 shots fired with no dramas.

J
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                  Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Warpatroller
                    Lieutenant
                    • Dec 2012

I didn't realize some of you guys arm these little torpedoes with live warheads!! That explosion was awesome! Especially the noise it made..

The fact that it was just in your hand a couple seconds before it exploded is scary. Apparently this hobby can be dangerous..

If you could trigger that to happen at the end of the torpedo run..

I can see it now, local news story - "Maniac model boater, fires live torpedo from Chinese made WWII German submarine model. He is being held without bail for destroying an innocent duck and endangering the fish population of a local lake. Passers by were shocked when a loud explosion was suddenly heard over the water and horrified as duck feathers went flying into the air. The incident, and how the apparently unbalanced model boater constructed such a deadly weapon, is currently under local investigation."
                    "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Warpatroller
                      I didn't realize some of you guys arm these little torpedoes with live warheads!! That explosion was awesome! Especially the noise it made..

The fact that it was just in your hand a couple seconds before it exploded is scary. Apparently this hobby can be dangerous..

If you could trigger that to happen at the end of the torpedo run..

I can see it now, local news story - "Maniac model boater, fires live torpedo from Chinese made WWII German submarine model. He is being held without bail for destroying an innocent duck and endangering the fish population of a local lake. Passers by were shocked when a loud explosion was suddenly heard over the water and horrified as duck feathers went flying into the air. The incident, and how the apparently unbalanced model boater constructed such a deadly weapon, is currently under local investigation."
                      That one was not armed. The explosion was gas and an accident - caused by the separation of two different materials in the torpedo body with two different rates of expansion / contraction. The gas is cold and chilled down the torpedo enough to cause different rates of change in the torpedo's body.
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

Yes, that was an accident, but there are some people who do arm them with pyrotechnics. Quite illegal in most states that don't allow class 3 fireworks. Ive seen several scale models with various working weapons. I saw a u tube video of a guy that built a surface ship with missile launchers that fired live rockets. There was an issue with the launch sequence and the salvo wet off still in the launcher. Destroyed the boat. There are some modelers that have actual combat with RC vessels equipped with gas powered automatic loading bb guns. The ships have the resin hulls with sections cut out and clad with thin balsa panels designed to be shot out to sink the vessel. These events are held in ponds and pools where there spectators around the perimeter, that are subject to receiving wild shots. Not that they would use actual bullets for this type of competition, liability wise, but for special effects, for movies etc, where all the proper permits have been acquired to do this sort of thing, there is a limited market for the technology of blowing up stuff in miniature. Quite lucrative for a model builder with the pyro certificate at a place like Industrial Lights and Magic.
                        Last edited by Kazzer; 03-17-2016, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• bassplayer1
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Mar 2010

"ΑΜΦΙΤΡΙΤΗ"'s first torpedo shoot! Everything worked out just fine! Sorry about the quality of the video

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good looking shot! What is the bore at the nozzle throat?

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bassplayer1
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Mar 2010

Thanks David!!! The bore is 1.5mm

Comment

Working...