Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Click image for larger version  Name:	61A0F7E2-654E-400E-9515-9F21D2BF9EBE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	143811Click image for larger version  Name:	FC9CC371-3406-413C-9460-AE7893E8695F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	68.1 KB ID:	143810 Starting work finally on the launch tubes

Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 09-24-2020, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Nice! .......................
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Yes, I cannot say it better than what David just said.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Thanks guys! I appreciate your feedback

Been wanting to get to the launcher build stage. Had to get the torps running good first before moving on to the next step.

The build parameters Im trying to work within for this next step is to use a single channel to send a momentary signal to fire each of the four bow tubes and the single aft tube individually with a momentary press of a button. This will require opening each bow door just before launching each tube and then closing each bow door immediately after. Thankfully the aft will just need to launch without the need for opening and closing doors.

I think I have worked out a way to make all this happen using the gas style launch module available from Nautilus Drydock’s and a rough idea for the mechanisms needed but I will find out the hard way soon!
          Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 09-26-2020, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

Test from last week trying out the basic part of the Pneumatic launcher with the latest version of the torpedo.

Nick

Comment

• Akula54
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
              Test from last week trying out the basic part of the Pneumatic launcher with the latest version of the torpedo.

Nick

https://youtu.be/4s5bf7wqJQE
              The fish tried to swallow the frog !!!
              Amazing job, it's really exciting

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks guys! I appreciate your feedback

Been wanting to get to the launcher build stage. Had to get the torps running good first before moving on to the next step.

The build parameters Im trying to work within for this next step is to use a single channel to send a momentary signal to fire each of the four bow tubes and the single aft tube individually with a momentary press of a button. This will require opening each bow door just before launching each tube and then closing each bow door immediately after. Thankfully the aft will just need to launch without the need for opening and closing doors.

I think I have worked out a way to make all this happen using the gas style launch module available from Nautilus Drydock’s and a rough idea for the mechanisms needed but I will find out the hard way soon!
                Have you considered some sort of electrical/mechanical/pneumatic sequencer? A circuit driven sequencer, escapement or gas distribution valve to select and actuate the tubes?

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

your "fish" attaching your "fish" cracks me up!
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

Thanks guys, I think you can hear me cussing the fish out when they grab it. Feed them beforehand but they’re still *******s!

The next step is working out the launcher for each tube using a momentary signal to open the doors, confirm open doors, launch, confirm complete launch and then close each tube before the next tube launch cycle.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                      Captain
                      • Feb 2019

Quite a few have tried and come close ...but not as close as you have!- I'd say you're there. Although, I would reserve a torpedo or two and put a treble hook off the tail cone and an eye for some 5-10 LB test mono...

Good luck with the sequencing logic-that should be interesting!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Have you considered some sort of electrical/mechanical/pneumatic sequencer? A circuit driven sequencer, escapement or gas distribution valve to select and actuate the tubes?

Holy crap you are a mad man and an absolute genius!!!

I hope you have your own private museum at your place with each one of these finely crafted mechanical gems on display to marvel at.

Seriously very nice work and designs!

The mechanical sequencing equipment you designed and built is impressive.

The TCP module in a few of your photos is the unit I got from Bob at Nautilus. I was thinking of using that as the brains behind the sequencing. The rest will need to be mechanical. Are those solenoid valves in your photos still available? Have not run across those in my past searches. The solenoid valves I was thinking of using were these from Clippard :

...one of the must trusted names in the design and manufacture of miniature fluid control solutions

The valves in your photos would be interesting to look at if still available.

This is what I have worked out so far for the type VIIC forward
                        launcher.

The rough plan for operation I’m envisioning is as follows. The TCP module sends a signal to the solenoid valve for a specific launch tube. The pressurized air is sent to the pneumatic cylinder on that tube. The cylinder has linkage connected to that tube’s outer torpedo shutter. After the first .150” of cylinder travel, the shutter door will be completely open. The remaining travel of the cylinder shaft will then at some point depress a poppet or schradder valve that will send a burst of air to the rear of the torpedo tube causing the piston inside the tube to push the torpedo out. Once the momentary burst of air is shut off, a dump valve will open allowing the spring loaded pneumatic cylinder to return travel and close the shutter door.

There is a few small problems I can for see with this design and I have a couple other design ideas too. Please let me know what you guys think!
                        Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 09-30-2020, 08:18 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                          Quite a few have tried and come close ...but not as close as you have!- I'd say you're there. Although, I would reserve a torpedo or two and put a treble hook off the tail cone and an eye for some 5-10 LB test mono...

Good luck with the sequencing logic-that should be interesting!
                          Thanks Bob!!! I like your thinking with the treble hook!!! If I make extras when the time comes, I’ll probably be asking for your mailing address

Comment

• Aug 2008

Holy crap you are a mad man and an absolute genius!!!

I hope you have your own private museum at your place with each one of these finely crafted mechanical gems on display to marvel at.

Seriously very nice work and designs!

The mechanical sequencing equipment you designed and built is impressive.

The TCP module in a few of your photos is the unit I got from Bob at Nautilus. I was thinking of using that as the brains behind the sequencing. The rest will need to be mechanical. Are those solenoid valves in your photos still available? Have not run across those in my past searches. The solenoid valves I was thinking of using were these from Clippard :

...one of the must trusted names in the design and manufacture of miniature fluid control solutions

The valves in your photos would be interesting to look at if still available...
                            The little Clippard units are neat looking. Been a while since I flipped through their catalog.

The ones I was using were developmental units sent to me by Mr. Caswell, who kept source and technical speck's up his sleeve. Preparatory stuff. Only thing I knew about them was that they are expensive, worked fine with hydrocarbons, and only needed five-volts to actuate. Not available to me. Sorry.

You are too kind. You too have a very good set of hands, sir.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

David, After some searching I found the company that makes the miniature solenoid valves that you used in your meticulous crafted torpedo launchers that used this tech. Thank you again for taking the time to share the amazing work you’ve accomplished. I can see the fruits of the many hours you’ve spent developing these mechanisms.

Link to the solenoids:
                              Miniature, self-priming low and high-pressure positive displacement pumps that serve a variety of industries from oil & gas to medical diagnostics.

I like these over the Clippard 7mm and 8mm miniature solenoid valves I was looking at earlier and considering using. They’re available in a voltage already compatible with the TCP unit for starters. No need to boost the voltage signal to use the Clippard units.

Ordered a few to test them out. Look forward to getting them in a week or so. Will still need to work out the designs for the pneumatic cylinders, linkages and launch valves with the basic desired functionality logic I posted earlier. The years I spent developing and producing miniature engines has got my brain working over time thinking of all the mechanical valve possibilities to make the logic work. Fun!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2020

Click image for larger version  Name:	BFFA8E89-42B3-4944-BDB2-FDA9501DF3AD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	144088

Small update. Didn’t like how I had the torpedo shutter door linkage set up earlier so I redesigned it. The first design go around was a compromise. The real boats torpedo tubes muzzles did not have perpendicular squared off tube ends. Although the tubes ran mostly collinear with the keel, the tube end faces were angled inward towards the keel. This is how this boat’s tubes are designed. The real boats (typeVII) had their muzzle doors linked to their outer shutters. This is how I wanted to set up this boat originally but I’m working with a Arkmodels kit that was originally designed for their launcher unit that was never released. The kit’s torpedo shutters already has a tab in molded into place on the shutter doors.

The new design is also a compromise but functions like the real boat’s muzzle doors and shutters. I’ve designed half muzzle doors to work with the tabs molded into the kit’s shutter doors. Needed to to this for operational clearance purposes. The parts in the attached photo that are blue represent the kit’s molded features. Such as bulkheads and shutter door tabs.

Focusing on the door mechanisms for now until the rest of the bits show up to continue designing the rest of the mechanical stuff.

Comment

Working...