X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kanoni
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Dec 2010

rocket fuel torpedoes ?

Anybody tried solid rocket fuel for propelling torpedoes ? I have an idea how this could work based on a recipe of a slow burning rocket fuel . I have tested the system by it self and works fine but i would like to hear your opinions before i will instal it on board . Thank you .
    give me a spot to put a lever and i will move the earth
  • Rpmtech1
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Dec 2009

I did some tests firing Estes rockets underwater. Was just like a big fart really... What do you have thats slow burn?

Comment

• kanoni
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Dec 2010

I created a rocket inside a rocket and i use a recipe that have : (formula deleted to discourage idiots etc) - two pipes the center one filled just enough to expel the rocket from the tube and bring it to the surface and then the outer charge for the full power . When you make the propellant you can bury the ignitor in it and make it like that water proof . My only concern is the heat to the plastic doors and outer shell of the sub and if it will push it down . How did your rocket perform ? did melt anything ? Let me know because i tested mine outside the sub (only the tubes and ignition system )and i would like to know if it safe to put it in . Thank you for responding
      Last edited by Kazzer; 01-09-2011, 02:18 PM. Reason: potentially dangerous idea

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Not recommended. Chemical based, self-oxidizing gas sources are not suitable for use by non-professionals aboard their r/c model submarines.

I'm considered (in some circles) as an un-safe, careless, wild-man in the shop and on the field. But even I refuse to put solid or liquid rocket motors aboard my vehicles.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rpmtech1
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Dec 2009

It was stupid, thats why I abandoned it. One reason is what David stated above. You do need to remember AT ALL TIMES that a rocket fuel inside a sealed container = bomb. If your small exhaust orifice required for a slow burn motor clogs while burning = bomb. Thats why the old Jetex motors had springs holding the chamber together, to allow it to vent and not blow. Also water and fuel dont mix, so its always a problem. Another is the nasty brown scum firing leaves on the surface of the pool. All those together =not worth it.

The way to do it is how Dave did it, with gas.

If you are playing around with it for giggles, use your head and be careful!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rpmtech1
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Dec 2009

Those boosters dropping away was cool

Comment

• kanoni
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Dec 2010

Thank you guys . I know what i am doing with those things as they are part of what i study and part of my work in greater scales than that . i just wanted to know if it would be out of scale or if someone tried it in the past . I am well familiar with comercial used propelants and i know that there are way to powerfull to be used in these apllications . I use my reciepe simply as means to produce gas to propel the rockets . Thank you for cutting off the reciepe because you are right , there are idiots out there that they might try it without proper safety . I will try it in the summer and i will post the out come off it . I am pushing for make it as real as possible .

Comment

• Albion
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2008

Good idea to delete the recipe. When i was at high school we used to make bombs out of ?!?!?!?!? (you know what) and sugar, one kid from the year below pestered us for the recipe , so eventually we told him to get him out of our hair. He blew the side off his dads shed, he was lucky he only came away with his hair scortched off.

Dave have you ordered your safe as houses piller drill to vertical wood lathe conversion kit yet, we dont want you getting hurt
                  Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Aug 2008

Kanoni,

I do appreciate you input, and want to see what you come up with. Sounds like your solid motor is a dual-grain type, i.e. a motor containing either two different chemistries or two different physical arrangements of material designed to give two distinct types of thrust curves. Do I have that right?

Albion: I'm now working on converting an old NAZI surplus guillotine into a hedge-trimmer. Film at Eleven. Shop safety is my middle name.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• kanoni
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Dec 2010

That is right Merriman . same material different arrangements and different nozzle diameter , as i said i am using the propeland for a eazy gas source as this is a way that i am more familiar with as wierd this might sounds . thank you again i will keep you guys posted .

Comment

• RonP-UK
                        Lieutenant
                        • Feb 2010

I messed about with chemical motors many years ago when first trying to get a simple,reliable and cheap system for a model submarine. The potential for harm is large to say the least and although I would not say it cant be done, I would say it probably aint worth the time,cost and trouble. A gas system is cheap to make (or buy) and simple to refuel and reuse and above all SAFE.

Comment

Working...