X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

electrical plumbing

sounds like an oxymoron, but its what is done to wiring that has to be sheilded from the elements. In this case, wire connections and water. I picked up the idea of running wire thru tubing, from the Navy's Flightline refueler trucks. Cant have bare wire anywhere basiclly because of possible sparks and fuel in the proximity. We had to run wire thru a non ferrous conduit, so at the time copper was the answer so all the wires for all the lights on the tanker trailers were individually routed thru copper lines and brass fittings. Rather expensive endevor to comply with the NATOPS instructions, for the entire fleet of trucks, By the 80s they switched from the liquid conveyance copper tubing to the new vinal air lines for compressed air brakes and such. Either way, it a great way to run wire thru a watertite bulkhead from space to space ect. I was looking at the connection on this unit Click image for larger version

Name:	connection.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	103189 and altho I put that blue rtv goop on the back my switches on the dash that are on the fishing boat, On my motorcycles I used copper to match the oil lines for asthetics. On the subs however I plan on using The vinal hi pressure air lines and ferril fittings system used on trucks air brakes. Hi pressure is not the reasom as there is none but the lines are flexable and easily routed where the copper has to be pre bent and fitted for the spacific application. Looks prity, shiney or platina but the vinal is what I,ll use. Cheaper and just as efficent. rhis is an example of the copperset up with the bulkhead and a fitting tapped into itClick image for larger version

Name:	Copper ferril.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	103190Click image for larger version

Name:	vinal air.jpg
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	103191 typical vinal line with brass ferril connector. You can use the waterline for the refrigerator ice machine repair kit which is a large enough diameter to put more than one wire through for power lines ect. They are inexpensive.
    Last edited by Von Hilde; 11-07-2014, 08:23 AM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Bill Hodgkin simply ran clear polyurethane hose between WTC's. The bulkheads were outfitted with a tight fit brass tube, and the flexible hose was made fast with a ti-ti. Works like a charm and you can see if there are any leaks within the conduit.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      Bill Hodgkin simply ran clear polyurethane hose between WTC's. The bulkheads were outfitted with a tight fit brass tube, and the flexible hose was made fast with a ti-ti. Works like a charm and you can see if there are any leaks within the conduit.

M
      It's a good job I keep abreast of HWSNBN! Ti-ti? He means zip tie folks. Goodness knows where he got ti-ti from! You can tell what's on his mind all the time! Good grief! :-)
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

fu-fu, if you know what I mean!
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          fu-fu, if you know what I mean!
          .._. .._ or, dit dit dah dit - dit dit dah zip ties are so 60s. use a brass or polly material hose nipple and rubber cement, with surgical tubing. Rubber cement is waterproof and easy to peal off after use, if you have to brake the seal for any reason. Rubber cement is a great invention and a must have in my mess. Great for transferrig 3-D detail in lost wax process molds. Similar process using brush on liquid silicone, like Rebound. Or temporarry gluing stuff together for mock up or other situations where you can take the project apart and clean off the glue without much effort.
          Last edited by Von Hilde; 11-08-2014, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Working...