Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Protector Sleeve for Sub-drivers

Protecting all those push rods, prop shafts and other goodies poking out of the back of a Sub-driver is a problem not really well addressed.

Until now.

Here's my simple fix.

My example is a 2.5" diameter unit.

Take an empty Kraft Parmesan Cheese container, rinse it out, (unless you like to smell cheesy) remove the label, throw away the lid.

Then simply slip the plastic jar over the end of the Sub-driver. You could also secure it with some tape or Velcro.

There are plenty of plastic jars around, its just a case of finding a brand name container for each different size.Click image for larger version

Name:	OTF462643S.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	102103
    Last edited by Kazzer; 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

I like it -- can't tell you how many times I've bent push-rods when handling a SD. Good idea Mike. I knew there was a reason you lurked on these threads.

David
    Last edited by Kazzer; 12-16-2012, 08:21 PM. Reason: typo
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

You saw it here first! This will sweep the industry. Time to buy shares in Kraft.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Great idea.

I also build for each Subdriver its own wooden boat stand. Rubber liners on the cradle that hold it in place. I have another stand for servicing motor trays etc.
        When they're not in use the Subdrivers are put to bed on these stands, and are encapsulated in a pillow case to keep any dust away.

J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
          Great idea.

I also build for each Subdriver its own wooden boat stand. Rubber liners on the cradle that hold it in place. I have another stand for servicing motor trays etc.
          When they're not in use the Subdrivers are put to bed on these stands, and are encapsulated in a pillow case to keep any dust away.

J
          Do you have any photos of the stands?

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
            Do you have any photos of the stands?
            Yes - here is my Seawolf's Subdriver Stand, note the secondary stand to the right supporting the motor tray whilst I service it.

J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

John,
              Sometimes you do things because you do not know better....... I have learned a better way. Thank you for sharing this tip!
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                John,
                Sometimes you do things because you do not know better....... I have learned a better way. Thank you for sharing this tip!
                Thanks - no problems - pleasure. I'm happy to say that I'm not always right and there is always room for improvement. But to me a simple device like this basic stand is a must for assembling, storing, and maintaining our WTCs.

Mike and David created this forum for the free exchange of ideas. Lets all keep the signal clear and strong.

Best
                John
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

Has anyone else found a plastic jar that has a 3" or 3.5" opening?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Home Depot sells a bottle in the electrical area marketed by "Klein Tools" as Premium Synthetic clear. Its a lubricant to use when pulling wires thru conduit. Just cut the top out of it. Inside it measures 3&1/16".
                    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

Did I say 'plastic'? What sort of blinkered thinking is that!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1605.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	75440

What's wrong with a soup or bean can?

Absolutely nothing as far as I can see. Here's a 3" diameter can I knocked the tag back left from the lid, and then wrapped electricians tape around it twice. It fits the cylinder perfectly and whats more, the tape stops it from sliding off.

I'm a genius! My mother always said I'd amount to something one day, and I think my moment has come. Thanks Mum for sticking by me when others - well - you know!

I'd be inclined to remove the label and spray the can a submarine color, otherwise this will look a bit tacky at the pond, and you'll get those 'environmentalists' wanting to trash the can.

Oh! And don't forget to wash the can out, we don't want flies or bears hanging around. You have enough to worry about!
                      Last edited by Kazzer; 12-31-2012, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Working...