X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rpmtech1
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Dec 2009

Assigning radio channels to where?

A question that I often get asked, is how I set up my radio channels on a sub.
    Here is what i do with a 6 channel radio. The 8 and more channel radio's give you more freedom, so we'll leave those alone here.

We can start with channel 1 and 2. These would be the aileron and elevator on an airplane, and mostly the right stick on transmitters. I use the aileron (ch1) for the rudder, and the elevator(ch2) for the rear diveplanes. This makes for a natural feeling control of a submarine underwater, just like an airplane.

Now channel 3, the left ratchet stick. If my model has bowplanes, I put them on the ratcheted throttle stick (ch3). As we know (and you should) the bowplanes control depth, the stern control the pitch angle of the boat. So the ratcheted function coupled with a properly trimmed boat work well together for setting your depth.

For the throttle, I use a rotary knob for motor(s) forward and reverse, usually channel 6 on most radios. For ballast dive/surface functions I use the rudder stick (ch4)

The real test is what your thumbs and fingers feel more naturally wanting to do in when you control your boat and think of a command you want it to perform. Me being an airplane guy too, I find the above a natural control feel.

Lets hear your preferences
    Last edited by Rpmtech1; 04-03-2011, 08:51 PM.
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Hey Rick,
    thanks for sharing that, and particularly your use of the rotary knob channel on a 6 ch setup for throttle. I haven't tried that yet, but I'll give that ago.
    Best
    J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

being left handed mines all about face, i use the left stick for left right up down. the right stick has throttle on the ratcheted movement. dependant on ballast type the right stick left/ right is used to blow ballast. But my piston tank sub has a proportional ballast tank, so i use the rotary. might try switching the rotary around
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Ive been using Rpmtech1s suggested configuration for several years now and it works so well that I dont even have to think about it when I operate, it just naturally feels right. When my Polk radio came in the mail I had them put ratchet control on both right and left stick so that I could find the sweet spot and not worry about the stick going back to nuetral.
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• GRANTRIDDELL
          Ensign
          • Jul 2012

I'm using an old Hitec prism 7 radio and I use the right hand stick for throttle and rudder and the left stick for rear planes. I've modified channel 7 from a rotory control to a centre return, 3 way toggle switch to control my snorkel air pump ballast system. Push the switch forward and it floods the tank.release and it's in a nuetral position. Pull the switch backwards and it starts the pump to blow the tank. I'm using a spool valve of my own design on the ballast tank controlled by a servo. Iv'e found this works well for me as I can't accidentally operate the ballast system while controlling the planes.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Good job Grant! Whatever works best for you. Gotta keep those functions straight in your head, not mine.
            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

Working...