X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DMTNT
    Commander
    • Jun 2018

Evercoat

Dumb question, but for those who know... are 412, 415, and 416 all basically the same material? Thanks.
    Dead men tell no tales...
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Pretty much. The difference between the formulas present no great variance in properties of the hardened product.

Just some applications of the polyester automotive type fillers. Note that it not only fills gaps and recontours form, it also is used to create specific structures

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
      Commander
      • Jun 2018

I've had so/so luck with Bondo, but that was forever ago. I'd like to give Evercoat Metal Glaze a try. Milliput did a splendid job filling in the cavernous gaps between the pieces of hull that I joined to lengthen Seawolf into Jimmy Carter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	127563

Appreciate the pics, as always, Mr. M.

Thanks!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DMTNT; 09-13-2018, 04:28 PM. Reason: Added Photo

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMTNT
        I've had so/so luck with Bondo, but that was forever ago. I'd like to give Evercoat Metal Glaze a try. Milliput did a splendid job filling in the cavernous gaps between the pieces of hull that I joined to lengthen Seawolf into Jimmy Carter.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0097.jpg Views:	3 Size:	36.1 KB ID:	127563
        Appreciate the pics, as always, Mr. M.
        Thanks!
        No sweat.

Milliput is a two-part epoxy filler -- more stable than polyester auto putty, but hard to get these days and expensive as hell. Bondo is fine. It's all about surface preparation.
        Tip: if the model will be exposed to water (duh!) you coat the finished filler with thin formula CA to seal the porous filler and strengthen the substrate.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Just as a side not. I too disliked Bondo from my experience years ago, but this past summer, I could not find Evercoat in town so I purchased Bondo Professional Gold. It worked real nice. Close to Evercoat. Good enough that the cost difference makes me say I like it.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• DMTNT
            Commander
            • Jun 2018

It stinks like solvent, able to sand in no time and blends perfectly smooth. This stuff is great!

The only major downside I can see is you've got to plan your moves carefully because you've only got about 5 minutes before it starts to set up. Great recommendation though, thanks guys!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMTNT
              It stinks like solvent, able to sand in no time and blends perfectly smooth. This stuff is great!

The only major downside I can see is you've got to plan your moves carefully because you've only got about 5 minutes before it starts to set up. Great recommendation though, thanks guys!
              And after you have the filler ground down to where you want it, coat its surface (extending about 1/4" into the surrounding substrate) with thin formula CA to seal and strengthen the filler.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...