X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kim Sleep
    Commander
    • Nov 2013

SQUARE HOLES!!!...Oh My!

Ok, many subs have a myriad of small square holes...is there a faster/easier way to create them, other than filing them out????...seems like a nightmare scenario. in a sub such as a Skipjack.
    A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Laser-cut, water jet-cut, milling machine, magic. Other than that .... GET TO WORK with the dill, file, and sanding tools!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0148 (2).JPG
Views:	174
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	110186

Name:	DSCN0153 (2).JPG
Views:	160
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	110187

Name:	DSCN0149.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	110188

Name:	DSCN0172.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	110189

Name:	DSCN0003 (2).JPG
Views:	131
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	110190

Name:	DSCN0008 (2).JPG
Views:	132
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	110191

Name:	DSCN0046 (2).JPG
Views:	139
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	110192

Name:	DSCN0047 (2).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	110193

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2009

There is a much easier way... Pay someone else

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Rick Teskey
        There is a much easier way... Pay someone else
        Good Idea Rick...................except there was no one available to pay. So, on with the necessary business. On my Oscar there seemed to be a hundred holes at least. And it wasnt a matter of drilling and filing out the square hole. These holes had to have a recess to enable glueing in a brass insert so that it would come out flush. Now THAT was a Pain. http://forum.sub-driver.com/forum/bu...ontinued/page2
        Last edited by greenman407; 09-20-2015, 12:06 PM. Reason: Add link
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Kim Sleep
          Commander
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by greenman407
          Good Idea Rick...................except there was no one available to pay. So, on with the necessary business. On my Oscar there seemed to be a hundred holes at least. And it wasnt a matter of drilling and filing out the square hole. These holes had to have a recess to enable glueing in a brass insert so that it would come out flush. Now THAT was a Pain. http://forum.sub-driver.com/forum/bu...ontinued/page2
          Rick, a beautiful piece of work with those inserts.

I actually plan to team up with a Al Kaeda group to kidnap Mr. Merriman, and force him to do my bidding....Canadian Terrorists are just too nice.

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jul 2012

I am feeling the pain, just finished with the holes on my skipjack. still require final fine sanding. what fun is it having someone else do the work more satisfaction doing it yourself..
            US Submarine Force: Making the Navy worthwhile since 1900

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

Missed one Dave, Plotter cut, rubber Frisket/sandblast. Local sign shop will cut them. all you have to have is a compressor, and a nozle. Real easy, all of them if you have the equipment. However, Like you say "It aint a cheap hobby" If money is the easy way for non hackers, "Ill be your Huckelberry" 12 bucks a square hole 1mm, All other sizes round or square oval ect, and ammount, price on request. Just send it to me, pay shipping both ways. Or, buy a complete boat RTR from one of a half dozen or so people here willing to sell or build whatever for a price. Doing it by yourself is all the fun, doing it for someone else is FUN and rewarding with a Cha Ching! $ound tagged on to boot.
              Last edited by Von Hilde; 09-21-2015, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
                Missed one Dave, Plotter cut, rubber Frisket/sandblast. Local sign shop will cut them. all you have to have is a compressor, and a nozle. Real easy, all of them if you have the equipment. However, Like you say "It aint a cheap hobby" If money is the easy way for non hackers, "Ill be your Huckelberry" 12 bucks a square hole 1mm, All other sizes round or square oval ect, and ammount, price on request. Just send it to me, pay shipping both ways. Or, buy a complete boat RTR from one of a half dozen or so people here willing to sell or build whatever for a price. Doing it by yourself is all the fun, doing it for someone else is FUN and rewarding with a Cha Ching! $ound tagged on to boot.
                It stops being fun at 3AM, and the studio want's it by 6AM. And it ain't done yet! And the det-cord and pyro guy won't arrive till late afternoon.

Yeah. Fun.

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

It stops being fun at 3AM, and the studio want's it by 6AM. And it ain't done yet! And the det-cord and pyro guy won't arrive till late afternoon.

Yeah. Fun.

M
                  Yup, Just finished a paying order to go on the noon truck at 11:30. Had to get up at zero three to finish. Sleep? Who needs it. Cuban coffee, and a root beer, kickstart, good to go. May be on time, but not early. Short fuze, no fun, Confucious say. Timing is everything, said John Camron Swazey.
                  Last edited by Von Hilde; 09-21-2015, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Kim Sleep

Rick, a beautiful piece of work with those inserts.

I actually plan to team up with a Al Kaeda group to kidnap Mr. Merriman, and force him to do my bidding....Canadian Terrorists are just too nice.
                    Hey Kim, my name is Mark, not Rick and I hear you on the Kidnap thing. Al-Quida wont go near that house, the cat sleeps all day so that it can stand full alert at night, and I hear that Dave sleeps with a 12 Gauge.
                    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yup, Just finished a paying order to go on the noon truck at 11:30. Had to get up at zero three to finish. Sleep? Who needs it. Cuban coffee, and a root beer, kickstart, good to go. May be on time, but not early. Short fuze, no fun, Confucious say. Timing is everything, said John Camron Swazey.

Wasn't Swazey the guy-with-the-tie who had a chimp on set?

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        Wasn't Swazey the guy-with-the-tie who had a chimp on set?M
                        the guy that put the timex on the outboard motor prop stuck in the barrel of water. Back then he would do it live on the news show. One night they cranked the motor reved it up, and the watch flew off out on the floor with a busted band and water drops all over, He said "Takes a licking and still ticking" showed the second hand still moving. J Fred Muggs was the monkeys name

Comment

• Aug 2008

the guy that put the timex on the outboard motor prop stuck in the barrel of water. Back then he would do it live on the news show. One night they cranked the motor reved it up, and the watch flew off out on the floor with a busted band and water drops all over, He said "Takes a licking and still ticking" showed the second hand still moving. J Fred Muggs was the monkeys name

Oh, that's right -- the one who looked like Skelitor. Garoway was the guy with the monkey.

Damn! .... we're OLD!

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

We're older than dirt. Ancient. I've noticed that Father Time has dumped a can of whupazz on my face every time I walk by the mirror. Been battling the flu for a week, no let up till this morning. Have to ease on back to thr routeen, too easy to relaps. Singing in the same microphone as who knows how many people from all over the country has there blood borne pathagines, crawling all over it. I generally bring my own mic or at least a wind sock to slip over one. Disinfectant spray is always a nice thing to carry around now days. Don't drink out the garden hose anymore either.

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                              Commander
                              • Nov 2013

You old guyz are nuts...NUTS I TELLS YA!!

Comment

Working...