X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

SL-8 Incompatability

My last post refered to problems interfacing with the Caswell/Mcleod ADF(older version). Now I find out that it doesnt work with the Subtek Subsafe 2 failsafe. What can be done? There are a lot of Subtek failsafes out there. If nothing can be done can you tell us which failsafes will work with the Sombra?
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • sombra
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Apr 2009

The purpose of a receiver is to receive Tx signals and drive servos. The SL-8 does that. If an add-on hardware doesn't work, then it is not an issue of the receiver but rather the device connected to it.

I'm not familiar with Subtek Failsafe device. If you know how it works and what it expects on its inputs I maybe able to tell you what is causing the issue and if it is fixable or not. Also, I'm not sure if you're aware that the SL-8 has built-in user-configurable per-channel failsafe, you can refer to the user-guide to get more info.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Yes, Thats the type of info that I was looking for. The shadow programmer is needed to program in the failsafe modes. Its only $15. Thats less than a failsafe and it covers all the channels, not just one. Good!............................ I say this without malice, but it needs to be said. For good customer service you should find out more about the products people are using with your reciever and warn people on your website of these issues and not let the end user find out the hard way. You are the spokes person for your company and you have been given by Caswell your own forum catagory " Sombra labs technical support "on a website that sells exclusively model sub componants. You should know of these products and there applications so that you can help your customers! Rant over!:biggrin: Thanks for your help.

Comment

• sombra
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Apr 2009

I understand what you're saying... however, it is impossible to test each and every product to make sure it works with our receivers (just look at the stuff coming out of Asia), especially if the functionality already exists!.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Good point about the Asia stuff, however I think that you should want to know and do your own research if its reported to you that there exists a problem with your reciever not working with a CaswellADF or a Subtek failsafe( both used in large quantities in the states). To maintain brand loyalty I would think that you would want to do some form of an investigation instead of saying " im not familiar with a Subtek subsafe 2". Make some kind of effort. Also it might interest you that these issues do not exist with the Polk 8 channel recievers, I know, I have two of them. Thats not to say that the Polk is better than the Sombra, its just that they are a leading competeter. Kind Regards
          Last edited by greenman407; 06-21-2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

I just wanted to report that the sl-8 is working perfectly. I purchased the shadow programer and it worked well also. Now I have a good working failsafe. Thanks

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
              Good point about the Asia stuff, however I think that you should want to know and do your own research if its reported to you that there exists a problem with your reciever not working with a CaswellADF or a Subtek failsafe( both used in large quantities in the states). To maintain brand loyalty I would think that you would want to do some form of an investigation instead of saying " im not familiar with a Subtek subsafe 2". Make some kind of effort. Also it might interest you that these issues do not exist with the Polk 8 channel recievers, I know, I have two of them. Thats not to say that the Polk is better than the Sombra, its just that they are a leading competeter. Kind Regards
              Mark,

You're being unreasonable here. You want a manufacturer to invest his time and treasure buying and testing the entire range of devices that may, or may not be hooked up in concert with his own proprietary stuff. Unreasonable.

The manufacturer of a Receiver has only three things he must do to insure his product fulfills its intended function:

1. Make it selective
              2. Make it sensitive
              3. Make it conform to the industry standard modes of modulation -- the RF side and the encoded servo pulses (the output channels of the receiver, however many there are).

Other than that his work, the Receiver designer, is done!

Our Sombra guy has delivered on all counts, Mark. He's producing an excellent product!

There is absolutely no need for our Sombra guy -- or any other Receiver designer/manufacturer -- to know the operational response of the Subtek subsafe 2, or any other Device gizmo out there.

It's the job of the Device makers to build a front end that can read the pulse width from the receiver, not the other way around, Mark.

IT'S THE JOB of the device engineer's -- the guys who build the servo, fail-safe, ESC, electronic switch, angle-keeper, Lipo-Guard, depth-keeper, ADF, or multiplexer -- to make their product capable of reading the receiver channel pulse width. There's an industry standard of receiver channel output. If a Device can't read that pulse, measure its width, and operate as intended, then the problem is with the Device designer/part vendor/manufacturer, not the Receiver designer.

(As you later found out, and later reported in this thread ... and by the way, thank you for the follow-through, Mark, classy ... there was nothing wrong with the Sombra receiver).

Your reading assignment tonight: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/17709619/RC-Receiver

You people!

David,
              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 07-07-2010, 07:12 PM.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

It all seems reasonable. However from a manufacturers point of view( not to be argumentative) if I heard that one of my recievers was having a problem dealing with a add on system that was quite numerous in application(Subtek or Caswell products)Then I would want to know about it, not blow it off. Thats why when you purchase computer software or video games , the manufacturer will tell you what the system reqs. are( how much Ram capacity, how much hard drive space) and any incompatabiltys known to exist, such as software for IBM will not work on Macintosh systems. No its not absolutely necessary but I would.:biggrin:

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                  It all seems reasonable. However from a manufacturers point of view( not to be argumentative) if I heard that one of my recievers was having a problem dealing with a add on system that was quite numerous in application(Subtek or Caswell products)Then I would want to know about it, not blow it off. Thats why when you purchase computer software or video games , the manufacturer will tell you what the system reqs. are( how much Ram capacity, how much hard drive space) and any incompatabiltys known to exist, such as software for IBM will not work on Macintosh systems. No its not absolutely necessary but I would.:biggrin:

Mark,

Fair enough. We differ as to the extent a receiver designer-manufactures responsibility is to insuring that another manufacturers device(s) hooked up to the back-end of his receiver are compatible with it or not.

I'm a designer-manufacturer of kits, r/c conversion kits, and WTC/SubDriver's. With the SubDriver's I know there is a specific point where my responsibility for the sold SD starts and stops; I have no responsibility nor obligation to insure the customer can successfully integrate the SD with its on-board sub-systems and his r/c submarine hull -- other than providing an adequate set of instructions. The job of outfitting the SD and fitting it into the hull are the responsibility of the customer, not me.

Let me lay this analogy on you, Mark:

A screw manufacturer produces a 6-32 bolt. Is he obligated to buy every manufacturers 6-32 nut and test fit each different nut to his bolt, in order to assure compatibility between the two items?

No! He's not.

As long as the screw manufacturer cuts the bolt threads to the industry standard, his bolts and the nut manufacturers (who observe the same industry standard) nuts will fit; there is no need for specific item integration qualification.

You suggested that Sombra Labs perform a receiver-to-device integration qualification as a condition of sale. Unreasonable, and uncalled for.

The Prosecution rests, your Honor.

Don't make me come over there!...

David,
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

The good thing is that it works well and fits in a compact place. Since I have started using Polk and Sombra products I no longer have radio issues. Double thumbs up!

Comment

• Aug 2008

That's been my experience too, Mark.

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...