X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plastic66
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2009

Need help setting up a Sombra SL-8

I purchased a Sombra SL-8 for my Seaview. I pluged it into my ESC on ch 3 and the other servos in their respectful chanels. I did get some chatter on the servos. So I then installed my original Wfly receiver in. No chatter, no problem.

With nothing else to do I swaped receivers agian, and now can not get the Sombra SL-8 to work. I have two of these receivers. My sub prodjects so far are: Seaview, Kiol and Gato. All SD are big enouf for the standard WFly.

I here good things about the Sombra SL-8's and would like to get them to work for future r/c subs.

When I first pluged the Sombra in I did nothing to it, not even bind it, and it worked. Can I get detailed instructions how to set up the Sombra's to work.

Thank you
    Last edited by plastic66; 06-24-2009, 07:40 AM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by plastic66
    I purchased a Sombra SL-8 for my Seaview. I pluged it into my ESC on ch 3 and the other servos in their respectful chanels. I did get some chatter on the servos. So I then installed my original Wfly receiver in. No chatter, no problem.

With nothing else to do I swaped receivers agian, and now can not get the Sombra SL-8 to work. I have two of these receivers. My sub prodjects so far are: Seaview, Kiol and Gato. All SD are big enouf for the standard WFly.

I here good things about the Sombra SL-8's and would like to get them to work for future r/c subs.

When I first pluged the Sombra in I did nothing to it, not even bind it, and it worked. Can I get detailed instructions how to set up the Sombra's to work.

Thank you
    Re-assign your Sombra receiver to your specific transmitter, and do it this way:

With only one servo plugged in to channel-1, install the shorting plug into the channel-8 port. Turn on the transmitter. apply power to the receiver (battery plug to any un-used port) and wait for the rudder to respond to transmitter commands. That's the proper way to assign the receiver to the transmitter.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• plastic66
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jun 2009

Ok Dave,

I turn on my transmiter, throttle at mid stick, plug in one servo lead(one servo from the three on the SD) into ch 1, plug the binder into ch 8. I then take my ESC which is powered by the battery and plug it into ch 3. I then turn on the on/off switch on from the ESC .

I get red/green blinking then no light. My motors go mid speed and no stick controll for ch 1 and no control at the ESC.

I am not sure by what you mean to plug the battery to the receiver. I am assuming the plug from the ESC is the battery plug. Because I attatched the red/black wire from the ESC to the long wire that came with the SD to the 7.4 battery.
      Last edited by plastic66; 06-24-2009, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ok Dave,

I turn on my transmiter, throttle at mid stick, plug in one servo lead(one servo from the three on the SD) into ch 1, plug the binder into ch 8. I then take my ESC which is powered by the battery and plug it into ch 3. I then turn on the on/off switch on from the ESC .

I get red/green blinking then no light. My motors go mid speed and no stick controll for ch 1 and no control at the ESC.

I am not sure by what you mean to plug the battery to the receiver. I am assuming the plug from the ESC is the battery plug. Because I attatched the red/black wire from the ESC to the long wire that came with the SD to the 7.4 battery.

Using the ESC as the power-source to the receiver during receiver re-assignment is fine. Were you, or were you not successful in getting the receiver re-assigned to the frequency of your transmitter?

Tell me, Damit!

Anyway, assuming you got the receiver re-assigned OK, your problem now is that you somehow lost the ESC transmitter stick end-point settings -- you need to re-set the ESC. Here's how you do that:

Turn on the transmitter, position the throttle stick to neutral. Turn on the ESC switch and quickly, before the red and green ESC lights stop their alternating flashing, push the 'set' button on the ESC and hold it. While still holding the ESC set button down, slowly cycle the transmitter throttle stick all the way up, then all the way down, then bring the stick back to neutral. Release the ESC set button -- you have now set the ESC for normal operation (you need never do this again). Check for proper motor response to transmitter throttle stick position.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• plastic66
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jun 2009

I do not think I was able to get the frequency to the tx. Reason: I had no servo control with the ESC pluged in.

I will try to set the ESC per instructions. I will give it a go agian and report back captian.

Stick with me here...
          Last edited by plastic66; 06-24-2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• plastic66
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jun 2009

I have good news and bad news: Good first, I have all 4 sevros operating. Bad news, I reprogramed the ESC and now the ESC stops at just below mid stick, say 2-3 clicks below neatural. I then have controll of the ESC but does not stop at mid stick.

Comment

• plastic66
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jun 2009

Final report on re-setting of the ESC/ re-assignment of Sombra SL-8 for the Seaview SD.

I GOT IT! All servos/ ESC operate as they should :)

I was premature on pressing the reset button on the ESC, I needed to wait till it flashed red/green then press. I was pressing the reset button right away. It works now. I do not follow orders too well at times, sir.

You helped and a I appreciate it.

Dave, thank you so much.

Shawn
              Last edited by plastic66; 06-24-2009, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Final report on re-setting of the ESC/ re-assignment of Sombra SL-8 for the Seaview SD.

I GOT IT! All servos/ ESC operate as they should :)

I was premature on pressing the reset button on the ESC, I needed to wait till it flashed red/green then press. I was pressing the reset button right away. It works now. I do not follow orders too well at times, sir.

You helped and a I appreciate it.

Dave, thank you so much.

Shawn
                ... and let that be a lesson to you, young man!

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...