X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Aristocraft FM Reciever replacement

I have an old two channel pistol grip radio. 75MHZ ch. 90. Its made by Aristocraft. Will your Sombra labs reciever bind and work with this radio? Also I take it it will work on 72 MHZ as well. Ive got a lot of recievers that dont seem to be real good at rejecting interference. Your reciever seems to be real good at operating in hostile environments ie: motor brush noise, some suspended solids in water. If suitable Ill need 4 or 5 of them.
    Last edited by greenman407; 05-16-2012, 09:20 AM.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

I've got about fifteen operational boats in my fleet, Mike. All but two have either the Sombra Labs SL-6 or SL-8 receiver. Take that for what it's worth!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

I figured. Ive got a lot of boats and cars that run on AM. I dont suppose that they would work on that.

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

AM- urrgh!

Anything above surface I run on 2.4ghz. I converted my FC16 to 2.4ghz with a Corona conversion kit- piece of cake and the receivers are inexpensive and interference free. Don't have to worry about clashing frequencies either.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

I just ordered 2 SL-8 recievers from Caswell. We will do it a little at a time. This afternoon Im going to pick up a pistol grip 2 channel 2.4 GHZ radio from my hobby shop for my OFNA Ultra Worlds GT 1/8 Scale gas car. The Aristocraft radio was letting me down. To lose control at 50+ MPH is not good. The SL-8s are going into a electric powered Cabin Cruiser(Graupner Portifino) and my project boat "Aquacraft Twin Outboard thats listed under "Race Boats" on the forum.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

I purchased a Spectrum 2.4GHZ pistol grip radio on Friday night. Went to install it and found that the 15 yr. old Futaba servos ends on the servos in my car would not plug into the reciever. I am not talking about the little tang found on the side of some plugs, Im talking about the physical size of the plugs. It seems that at some point they decided to make the plugs a little bit smaller on the modern stuff. So with Dremel in hand I slimed down the plugs so that they would engage the reciever. Initially I returned to the Hobby store with the radio and they sold me some new plug ends. So I poped out the old wire terminal ends and then found that they would not plug into the new ends. Thats why I had to slim down the old ones to make them fit. Its also of interest to note that the old radio was a Airtronics, so the wires were switched for polarity within the plugs on the servos years ago and I had forgotten about that.. Good thing I was checking for proper polarity.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ah ... the infamous original Airtronics 'polarity switch': a corporate decision so disgusting and lurid (and purposefully flying in the face of accepted industry standard) that the concept was once included as a 'trap' gag in the original Cube movie, but was pulled out -- it was found that test audiences would faint away or puke in their popcorn the moment the word, 'Airtronics' was mentioned -- forcing the Producer's to go with the more benign cheese-slicer and acid-in-face gags.

Sounds like you have servos with the old 'G' connector at the end of their leads. The new one, used today (introduced about two decades ago, for Christ's sake, Mark!) is called the 'J' connector.

Stop being such a cheap SOB and get new gear, Mark!

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

LOL.

If it ain't broke.....

Airtronics kit is known as Sanwa here in the UK. We used to have a home grown company called Fleet, and they used to stick dogmatically to their own servo wiring standard, right up until the bitter end.

Comment

• Anuci
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  Ah ... the infamous original Airtronics 'polarity switch': a corporate decision so disgusting and lurid (and purposefully flying in the face of accepted industry standard) that the concept was once included as a 'trap' gag in the original Cube movie, but was pulled out -- it was found that test audiences would faint away or puke in their popcorn the moment the word, 'Airtronics' was mentioned -- forcing the Producer's to go with the more benign cheese-slicer and acid-in-face gags.

Sounds like you have servos with the old 'G' connector at the end of their leads. The new one, used today (introduced about two decades ago, for Christ's sake, Mark!) is called the 'J' connector.

Stop being such a cheap SOB and get new gear, Mark!

David
                  No No! Mark is far from cheap, Dave. He simply marches to the beat of a different drum, as they say.
                  Actually he spends money like a drunken sailer, he is convinced the world will be ending soon, so what the hey! lol

What can I say, some may even say he lives dangerously, like those who live directly beneath the approach runway to Naval Air training facilities.

Alligator Al,
                  Last edited by Anuci; 05-21-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Touche, Al.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Im sure HWSNBN is trying to rattle my cage. I cannot see throwing away over a hundred dollars in perfectly operating servos just because the plug is different. Besides, my trim job worked perfectly. SO THERE!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Just buy those servo leads from Mike, and graft those onto the ends of your servo wires and you're good to go. You can solder .... can't you?!

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

solder?............Whats that?............

Comment

• Aug 2008

yikes!..........
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I HAVE DECIDED!!! Because of the problems that Ive had running in the waters at Oscar Scherer Im going to remove the Polk recievers from both the Oscar and Seaview and replace them with Sombras. Ill use the Polks in above water craft. The Sombras have demonstrated their superiority. It only makes sense to use the best on your underwater craft so that the inky black waters dont swallow them up.

Comment

Working...