I think my viper 10 blew up

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kazzer
    replied
    I'd like to see what Mtronics has to say about this. Do they want to look at these units? Lets find out.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by robert lipsett
    so are you telling me I have to buy a new piece of garbage esc that might blow up. that there is no warranty replacement on this thing?

No. Honestly, Robert, no warranty on the ESC's. They are subject to this sort of thing. I too suffer the occasional ESC failure, and the only thing for it is to replace the unit.

David,

Leave a comment:

• robert lipsett
    replied
    there is no warranty replacement on this thing?
    Last edited by robert lipsett; 05-14-2010, 10:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    now what do I do?
    Plug in a new ESC. Seriously.

David,

Leave a comment:

• robert lipsett
    replied
    now what do I do?

Leave a comment:

replied
    RIP, ESC

David,

Leave a comment:

• robert lipsett
    replied
    motors work great off the battery. rx battery plugged into the reciver makes everything work fine. The leds on the esc would not light up when it first died and now since it is not connected at all it will never light up again. I tried connecting power straight back into it and got no leds

Leave a comment:

• Kazzer
    replied
    Originally posted by Merriman
    Good job, Mike. Between your posts and mine we just chased away the last of our prospective customers.

Oh ... and you forgot to mention to the guys: the cylinders, in a cost savings effort suggested by you, are now fabricated from gelatin. And all power cabling is now bare wire aluminum conductor, not that expensive insulated stuff.

David,
    I seem to recall you posted the following about one of my posts that was somewhat similar to this.

No one likes a smart-ass!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Good job, Mike. Between your posts and mine we just chased away the last of our prospective customers.

Oh ... and you forgot to mention to the guys: the cylinders, in a cost savings effort suggested by you, are now fabricated from gelatin. And all power cabling is now bare wire aluminum conductor, not that expensive insulated stuff.

David,

Leave a comment:

• Kazzer
    replied
    Originally posted by Merriman
    Robert,

A very similar thing happened to Mr. Caswell -- he managed to blow up his Viper-10 ESC in a like arrangement. Very unsettling to say the least. Hope we don't have a systematic problem here.

(Mike is my resident 'Angel Of Death' -- I send new product to him, if he can't screw it up in four-hours, then I know I have a bullet-proof product that can be release to the general public with good assurance it won't fail).

David,
    I was going to write my standard reply to this sort of retort from The Wizard, but then my wife told me I couldn't use that particular phrase here.

Oh! Yes, and I also managed to break that really flimsy Snort manifold on top of my sub-driver. The little brass tube had about 1/96" or resin around it. **** poor design - not idiot proof! Umm What did I say? Err I mean - not well designed - even for the discerning modeler.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I bought a 3.5 dual motor sub driver and a viper sub 10 controller. I am in the process of putting all the equipment together. I connected all the electronics together except for running the wires from the controller to the two motors. I used a dean connector from my 11. 1 lipo and made sure I had proper polarity. the controller led flashed and supplied power to my reciver and servos which worked properly. my snort pump which is connected directly to the battery was functioning properly. I un plugged the battery then connected the two wires from the controller too the two wires from the motors. I then plugged the battery back in and the controller did nothing no flashes no power for the bec. I then unplugged the battery and cut the motor wires. I replugged in the battery and the system is still dead. What should I do now and what should me meter read across the two motors to prove that they are good or bad. Did my motors blow up the controller?
    Robert,

A very similar thing happened to Mr. Caswell -- he managed to blow up his Viper-10 ESC in a like arrangement. Very unsettling to say the least. Hope we don't have a systematic problem here.

(Mike is my resident 'Angel Of Death' -- I send new product to him, if he can't screw it up in four-hours, then I know I have a bullet-proof product that can be release to the general public with good assurance it won't fail).

My first guess is that there is a short somewhere in the wiring between the motors and the output of the ESC -- check for that.

Did you forget to re-plug the three-wire lead from the ESC into the receiver channel-3 port?

A continuity check of the motors is a waste of time, you'll only read one set of pole windings at a time. Best just to hook up the battery straight to the motors and see if they run (after checking your motor wiring clean of any shorts) -- do not do this with the ESC hooked up, you'll kill the ESC for sure.

But, it sounds like your ESC has lost the magic smoke. Hook up a 4.5 (receiver) battery to a receiver port to insure all the devices still work (take the ESC plug out of the receiver for this test -- better yet, cut its input wires).

We'll walk you through this. Get back to me after performing the above.

David,

Leave a comment:

• robert lipsett
    started a topic I think my viper 10 blew up

I think my viper 10 blew up

I bought a 3.5 dual motor sub driver and a viper sub 10 controller. I am in the process of putting all the equipment together. I connected all the electronics together except for running the wires from the controller to the two motors. I used a dean connector from my 11. 1 lipo and made sure I had proper polarity. the controller led flashed and supplied power to my reciver and servos which worked properly. my snort pump which is connected directly to the battery was functioning properly. I un plugged the battery then connected the two wires from the controller too the two wires from the motors. I then plugged the battery back in and the controller did nothing no flashes no power for the bec. I then unplugged the battery and cut the motor wires. I replugged in the battery and the system is still dead. What should I do now and what should me meter read across the two motors to prove that they are good or bad. Did my motors blow up the controller?
Working...