X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sunworksco
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Apr 2009

Lipo Savers

I'm using a www.thunderpowerrc.com 7.2 battery pack in my sailboat and was wondering what kind of battery cut-off I need ?
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by sunworksco
    I'm using a www.thunderpowerrc.com 7.2 battery pack in my sailboat and was wondering what kind of battery cut-off I need ?
    The LipoGuard will read a 2-cell battery just fine, right out of the package. Now, the question is: on a sailboat, you only have the rudder and winch servos, and the LipoGuard works by either shutting down the propulsion motor or shutting off the signal to the ballast system servo, activating the fail-safe device, surfacing the submarine. These devices that the LipoGuard would deactivate are not present in a sail-boat.

However, for your use, there are four LED's on the circuit-board, and you can use those as a visual indication as to the voltage state of your pack -- just about the only way to use the LipoGuard in a sail-boat, me thinks. Put a clear window in your deck hatch so you can see the LED's and you're in business.

In the below photo you can make out the green LED's in this LipoGuard within a submarine SubDriver. Very bright.

David,
    Attached Files
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

Beat to the punch! But David's spot on with his answer, and his observation about using just using the LiPo Guard's voltage monitor function in your application.
      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• sunworksco
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Apr 2009

Lipo

Maybe I could find a lighted digital voltage readout.
        My sailboat has a clear access hatch on the deck.
        Here is an image.
        Last edited by sunworksco; 07-25-2009, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Nuke Power
          Banned
          • Dec 2008

These are pretty cool for surface craft and airplanes.

Comment

Working...