• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

ADF - a suggestion for a future model

Kevin,

I have installed one of your ADF's in a sub and it works just fine - no complaints about its functionality.

However, when I first installed it, the rear dive planes moved the "wrong" way. I didn't have the room to switch the arm on the servo and it was a real PITA to turn the ADF around but I finally got it to work.

Maybe for a future product you could provide a means to switch the sense of the ADF - it sure would've made my life a lot easier.

Thanks for your time and excellent products,

Dan

P.S. I'm thinking of mounting an ADF transversely in a surface ship and use the output to control roll by shifting weights although I haven't worked out all the bugs yet (in my mind).
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj

P.S. I'm thinking of mounting an ADF transversely in a surface ship and use the output to control roll by shifting weights although I haven't worked out all the bugs yet (in my mind).
    Hey Dan I have successfully employed active stabilisers on targets using a simple sub leveller (not the ADF) a much earlier one. Try something like this via two servos one either side of the ship and opposite setups and hooking in a Y harness to both servos. The system I employed was totally autonomous - only need a 5 volt pwr supply to work. The stabiliser fins work like a planes aerilons. As for weights try the stabilisers first - they are by far the easiest engineering solution using sub leveler type technology.

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• roedj
      Captain
      • Sep 2008

John,

Interesting. Are the stabilizers "scale" or oversize to work better?

(Am I hijacking my own thread?):D

Dan
      Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

John,

Interesting. Are the stabilizers "scale" or oversize to work better?

(Am I hijacking my own thread?):D

Dan
        Slightly overscale in 1/72
        In the main I don't bother with this feature any more - its far better to build a target that is rock steady stable. If you can get a hold of the April 2009 Edition of "Model Boats" magazine. My HMS Ardent is on the cover and featured inside - this shows how to build top weight that is ultralight and strong at the same time. Yes thread is hijacked - sorry Kevin - Dan happy to take more questions etc over in the Target area.
        J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• KevinMc
          Commander
          • Feb 2009

Maybe for a future product you could provide a means to switch the sense of the ADF - it sure would've made my life a lot easier.
          Hi Dan,

Sorry for having taken a while to acknowledge this post, but thank you for the suggestion. I'll see what I can weasel in on the next one!
          Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
          KMc Designs

Comment

Working...