Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

I found out that there Is an issue with positive and negative 'Shift' of different FM/ppm systems.
    I found that some receivers detect this automatically, like the Sombra Labs unit.
    I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is 'Shifting', tho. :rolleyes:
    But there again, I don't think that relates to receiver outputs, just matching of receiver to transmitter.

(I've just never felt a burning desire to learn FM systems, since I can still find enough AM components to keep me happy). :D
    Last edited by toppack; 04-29-2009, 06:09 PM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• KevinMc
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Slats
      By the way,
      I have been told by Hobbyco [snip] that we are heading in this country to a point where all new radios bought for subs will have to be Futaba.
      Certainly lack of choice is never a good thing. At least I can say that I believe I understand what's going on with the problem at hand and can say with confidence that it can be dealt with.

He tells me that where he works (hobby store) there is quite a tech savvy guy there who thinks that Hitec / JR radios use a positive pulse through their RXs but Futaba use negative pulses......
      He's confusing pulse with shift. And it's not a positive/negative shift issue as that affects only the radio link between the Tx and Rx, the ADF never sees any of that. All current radio systems generate a positive pulse from the receiver to indicate commanded servo position. The problem is (as indicated above) Futaba has "changed the rules" on how big they make their pulse. It is an issue for current ADFs and this is likely the cause of Jim's woes.

(Disclaimer - Before anyone draws an erroneous conclusion, I don't have anything against Futaba. I've been a Futaba flier for many years and continue to support/use/buy their equipment. KMc - owner: 4NBL, 7FGH, 7UAF, 9ZAP, 14MZ and not looking to change!)

Originally posted by toppack
      I found out that there Is an issue with positive and negative 'Shift' of different FM/ppm systems.
      Rick - I respect your willingness (and desire) to understand what's going on "behind the sticks", but your last three posts don't materially add to this particular discussion. Please take it to the "General" forum and I'll be happy to contribute to it - Yes I can, and will, shed some light to your questions. Promise!

Thanks guys. John, Jim and I will get this sorted out.
      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

A big thankyou for Kevin's tireless efforts to nut out the Futaba compatability issue. Kevin made good on great customer service and rectified the problem.

Throughly recommend the product.

Best

John
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

A big thankyou for Kevin's tireless efforts to nut out the Futaba compatability issue. Kevin made good on great customer service and rectified the problem.

Throughly recommend the product.

Best

John
          And if John will permit me to piggy-back on his statement above.

I too am very pleased that Kevin has contributed his design and manufacturing expertise to our hobby -- what a guy!

Kevin knows electronics; he's a fully qualified, awarded r/c vehicle driver; and he has the practical sense and sensibilities to produce a product that EXACTLY fits the requirements of a specific type r/c vehicle.

God ... I wish he was an American. Ellie and I would adopt him!

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
            Commander
            • Feb 2009

Awwwww shucks... (Now where's that embarassed emoticon?)

Seriously though, I'm just doing what I can to support and improve my products and I appreciate the patience that everyone has shown when little wrinkles come up along the way.
            Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
            KMc Designs

Comment

Working...