• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

ADF2 not responding to changes in attitude

Kevin,
    I went to hunt down the locking blow/vent issue (which would disappear if I cycled the receiver power) and re-ran the setup. Well now it stopped making any adjustments to correct the changes in depth. It will respond to the power loss to the receiver and blow the tank. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Peace,
    Tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • KevinMc
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

Hi Tom,

It sounds suspiciously like the setup didn't configure correctly, but let's take that one step at a time. Can you answer the following:

1. What flash pattern do you see when you power on your receiver bus?
    2. What receiver are you using this with? Which transmitter, and is it fully "on" before the receiver is powered on? (Most transmitters have a delay while the computer comes up before transmission of the signal begins.)
    3. What version of software is in this ADF2? (Indicated on the back side in the white block - it should read either ADF2a or ADF2b.)
    4. Does the green LED come on if you hold the ADF2 at the zero bubble position you set? Does the green LED go out when you're not on the zero-bubble attitude?
    Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
    KMc Designs

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by KevinMc
      Hi Tom,

It sounds suspiciously like the setup didn't configure correctly, but let's take that one step at a time. Can you answer the following:

1. What flash pattern do you see when you power on your receiver bus?
      2. What receiver are you using this with? Which transmitter, and is it fully "on" before the receiver is powered on? (Most transmitters have a delay while the computer comes up before transmission of the signal begins.)
      3. What version of software is in this ADF2? (Indicated on the back side in the white block - it should read either ADF2a or ADF2b.)
      4. Does the green LED come on if you hold the ADF2 at the zero bubble position you set? Does the green LED go out when you're not on the zero-bubble attitude?
      Hi Kevin,

1. orange, green, green, red, green
      2. WFLY 8Ch and Sombra Labs - Yes fully on.
      3. ADF2b
      4. Green light comes on, but it does not go out when not on zero bubble. It remains solid.

Thank you Kevin for your help on this!
      Last edited by trout; 05-29-2012, 05:31 PM.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• KevinMc
        Commander
        • Feb 2009

Hi Tom,

OK, so the flashes confirm that the pitch sensor is working and both the ballast and pitch commands are being received from your rx. First hurdle down.

I'm suspicious of an incorrect setup, but I'll have a look through the code to see if there's anything I can find that might cause this behavour. In the mean time, please try going through the setup steps one more time and see if that clears it.
        KMc Designs

Comment

• alad61
          Commander
          • Jan 2012

Good thread guys... It has helped me iron out my adf glitches and I wasn't aware of the bootup time on the didgital tx units. Tom just a thought regarding the rx unit. Have you swapped it out to another as a test? The adf on my seaview was showing all the right lights but no response unless I unplugged & replugged the ballast servo lead. I've now set up & installed a new rx, so far all my bench tests are positive...
          Cheers,
          Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
          But to dream is a reality

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Kevin, thank you, after dinner I will run through the setup again and see if there is any changes.

Alec, thank you, I will test the unplugging the ballast with mine and see if that works for me. Unfortunately I do not have another setup.

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Sorry for the delay.... went swimming after dinner.
              Sat down and reconnected everything, ran through the setup
              press button while powering up receiver (transmitter was on and ready to use- not going through setup)
              blinks 2 green flashes - set neutral pitch and press button until solid green
              blinks 3 flashes - set planes to full rise, press button until solid green
              blinks 4 flashes - set bow pointing up and press button until solid green
              now flashes 2 red - set to blow and press button until solid green
              now flashes 3 red - set to blow or planes to rise and press green button until solid green
              it sets up and light goes to solid green. move off zero bubble and it still will remain solid green with no plane activity
              Turn off TX and after a brief moment the ballast servo will go to blow and then the planes will set to rise.
              Turn radio back on, plane still will not move and light remains green.

So that about completes what I have done, oh, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the lipo guard and then the aft rudder, no change.

Comment

• KevinMc
                Commander
                • Feb 2009

Hi Tom,

Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you on this - I'm stumped. I'll have to get my hands on this to sort it out. I'll send you a PM and we'll get this resolved.
                KMc Designs

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

It is all good. I have been working with SMD LED 1.8mm x .7mm - dang small to solder. It took 4 LEDs to get one good one that I didn't drop or break! Then frustrated with mounting them to the sides. Oh well - O.K. We can work it out. PM received.

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

I am such an idiot. I demanded Kevin fly down and fix this ADF2. So, we met tonight at a wonderful coffee shop and I was waiting for this genius to concede to the error. He proceeded to review the procedure of setting it up and then I was shown the error of my ways...... Here we are with my head hung low - somehow the night seemed so hot.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Genius_and_idiot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	67643
                    nothing wrong with the ADF2......
                    When the instructions during setup asks you to set the rise on your planes, set it using the aft planes (the planes controlled by the ADF2) and not the bow planes. Why I got this wrong can only be explained as (refer to first line in this post).......
                    Thank you Kevin for your help and fantastic conversation! And Kevin, I will not upgrade your ticket to first class.
                    Last edited by trout; 06-06-2012, 02:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

Oh! The shame of it all, eh Trouty?

What must be really annoying is that damned smug look on that Canadian's face!
                      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

LOL. Perfect picture. Confident expert to the left. Totally defeated end-user to the right -- on suicide-watch at the moment.

And for what it's worth, Tom: I've been at the wrong end of dumb-ass more times than I want to admit.

And look at Kevin: That Smug, over-confident ass! Who the hell does he think he is, anyway?! *** Canadian's!

Make the SubRegatta this year, Tom. You'll have a ball. Hang out with the guys at the Canadian end of the tent -- very high talent density there.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

Yes, it reminds me of the old adage (with a minor adjustment)

The customer is 'seldom' right!

(BTW - did he really fly down to see you?)
                          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• KevinMc
                            Commander
                            • Feb 2009

Kevin really did fly down to Vegas, but the actual reason is "work-related training". (No seriously! I know, I can't say it with a straight face either.) While I was here though I figured I'd look Tom up and try to get to the bottom of this puzzle and I'm really glad I did. As it turned out it was a minor setup issue but it's resulted in a significant effect for the end user. I'll be running an update to the ADF2 future manuals as a consequence to more clearly explain what's needed for the setup routine.
                            KMc Designs

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by KevinMc
                              Kevin really did fly down to Vegas, but the actual reason is "work-related training". (No seriously! I know, I can't say it with a straight face either.) While I was here though I figured I'd look Tom up and try to get to the bottom of this puzzle and I'm really glad I did. As it turned out it was a minor setup issue but it's resulted in a significant effect for the end user. I'll be running an update to the ADF2 future manuals as a consequence to more clearly explain what's needed for the setup routine.
                              Now THAT's service!

Hey, Kevin ... I need the yeard cut.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...