X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H2Ohaze
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2011

Refurbishing a damaged ADF2?

I did something really stupid. I needed to remove some material that was close to the edge of the ADF2. I used a hand drill with a small bit about 1/16" or so, but it punctured the shrink tubing on the ADF2. This resulted in making the diving plane servo go more than full travel downward when receiver is powered. And it just stays there.

I removed the shrink tubing by carefully cutting along edge of ADF2 board. The two outer traces along right side of board near bottom were either shorted or more likely broken by the drill. {imagine orientation so that LED and switch is in upper right corner with components facing you}. There is abrasion on the board; the drill was in the same plane as the board top surface.

I think the two traces go from a surface mounted chip to output wires to receiver. One goes to the failsafe plug for receiver and the other to leveler plug for receiver.

The traces are too small and the surface mounted chip pads are too small for me to run repair wires.

This is my fault, so I think it's fair that I pay for a replacement, and it's already on it's way. But I have another sub application that it would be nice to have the leveler, but I don't need the failsafe. Is it possible for KMC to repair the board for some nominal fee?

Bonus question: Can the second stage on the failsafe (which I believe is about 5 seconds duration?) be lengthened to about 20-30 seconds somehow?
  • KevinMc
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by H2Ohaze
    I did something really stupid. I needed to remove some material that was close to the edge of the ADF2. I used a hand drill with a small bit about 1/16" or so, but it punctured the shrink tubing on the ADF2. This resulted in making the diving plane servo go more than full travel downward when receiver is powered. And it just stays there.

I removed the shrink tubing by carefully cutting along edge of ADF2 board. The two outer traces along right side of board near bottom were either shorted or more likely broken by the drill. {imagine orientation so that LED and switch is in upper right corner with components facing you}. There is abrasion on the board; the drill was in the same plane as the board top surface.

I think the two traces go from a surface mounted chip to output wires to receiver. One goes to the failsafe plug for receiver and the other to leveler plug for receiver.

The traces are too small and the surface mounted chip pads are too small for me to run repair wires.

This is my fault, so I think it's fair that I pay for a replacement, and it's already on it's way. But I have another sub application that it would be nice to have the leveler, but I don't need the failsafe. Is it possible for KMC to repair the board for some nominal fee?

Bonus question: Can the second stage on the failsafe (which I believe is about 5 seconds duration?) be lengthened to about 20-30 seconds somehow?
    To the first question, repair may be possible. I'll PM you an email address, if you could send me some closeup photos that would help alot. As to the second (bonus) question technically almost anything is possible, but what you're asking would require a software change. Why do you need to have the time extended?
    Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
    KMc Designs

Comment

• H2Ohaze
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jul 2011

I got your PM, thank you. I'll send pics in a couple of days. The pics require some setup because I'll have to use my Macro lens with possibly an extension tube to magnify them up...otherwise trace damage can't really be seen. Luckily I'm a photographer and have the right equipment.

Why I need longer time for failsafe: one of my applications doesn't use compressed air but a small pump drawing 1/2 amp. It takes perhaps 20-30 seconds to completely empty tank with pump. It would be nice to then shut off pump during a loss of signal. I have a microswitch guarding the opposite condition of an over-pressurized tank.

Comment

Working...