X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vital.spark
    Commander
    • May 2010

Mini Pump Problem

Hell Kevin, I just did the initial set up in My Revell VIIC which uses Wfly-06, SL-8 receiver, your ADF, Lipro Guard and Mini Pump Controller. After the set up everything works OK but the MPC. When I turn on the Mini Pump it runs only 1 second and then stops. When I turn the pump off and then on again it runs 1 second again and stops. This is repeated each time the switch is turned on and off. Any thoughts on what is wrong?
  • KevinMc
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

Hi Vital,

That's an interesting one - can you try putting the MPC on channel 6 (the one with the dial) and see if you can get it to turn on and off in a controllable way.
    Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
    KMc Designs

Comment

• vital.spark
      Commander
      • May 2010

Hello Kevin,

It does work on the rotary (dial) switch.

regards,

Myron

Comment

• KevinMc
        Commander
        • Feb 2009

Hi Myron,

That's helpful, and suggests that the problem is that the command on the switched channel is going "too far" from center for the MPC. (Does your MPC say MPC1a or MPC1b in the white "SW:" box? I'm assuming you've got MPC1b, but please confirm for me.) When you turn the dial to the extreme end does the MPC turn back off again?
        KMc Designs

Comment

• vital.spark
          Commander
          • May 2010

Hello Kevin,

I have an MPC1b and the pump does not cut off at the extreame end using the dial. It runs only from the mid point clockwise but not on mid point anti clockwise. When the mpc is hooked up to channel 5(normal channel) I find that when switched on it runs for the 1 second burst and when I switch it off I get another short burst. It could be the switch goes past the contact on point and onthe way back it touches the contact again? I tried to find a mid point where it stayed on but couldn't though.

Regards,

Myron

Comment

• KevinMc
            Commander
            • Feb 2009

Hi Myron,

I'm thinking either your radio is a little different from the one I set up the MPC software with or you've got a bum switch. Let's figure out which it is first, then we'll figure out what to do about it. What would be really helpful is if you had a servo driver/pulse reader that would indicate the pulse width of the switched channel when it's at it's in the "on" position. If you do, or have access to one please let me know. Otherwise we'll can use a servo as a piece of test equipment by following the procedure I've outlined below - It's a bit tedious, but one way or the other we'll get it sorted out.

Servo Debug Test
            Plug your servo into channel 6, and center the dial. Put the longest arm you have on the servo and set it up so that it's coming out the side of the servo with the Tx dial centered. (We're going to use the servo arm like a "needle" on an analog meter.) Now turn the dial to the ON side if the MPC were plugged in and take note of the exact position of the arm. Now move the servo over to channel 5 on your receiver and put the gear switch in the ON position for the pump. (Flip it back and forth a couple of times to make sure the servo moves smartly between the two positions - this will rule out a bad switch.) Take note of the new position of the arm in the ON position. I expect it to be a little further away from the center position than it was when you had it plugged in to channel 6 - please try to measure how much it's moved from where it was in channel 6 to where it is in channel 5. (It may be no more than a mm or so, so it may be difficult to tell.) Also, I need to know how long your servo arm is from the center of the hold-down screw to the point you're measuring from, and the brand/model of servo you're using. This will help me to figure out how much the position is different bewteen the two channels.

If you get stuck on any of this let me know.
            KMc Designs

Comment

• vital.spark
              Commander
              • May 2010

Hello Kevin,

I used a DYS Micro Servo from Caswell for the test.

Arm Length=14.78mm
              Channel#6=12.8 mm (half of dial movement)
              Channel#5=27mm (off to on)
              On channel #6 when the switch was on, the arm moved 7.5 past from the point where it stoped on channel #5 using the dial at full on.

Regards,

Myron

There seems to be no problem with the switch

Comment

• KevinMc
                Commander
                • Feb 2009

Hi Myron,

I agree you've got no problem with the switch. (This was a long shot, but worth ruling out.) Thanks for gathering that data, that's very useful. I suspect that something has changed since I wrote the MPC software and that your switch is commanding a position that's just outside its ON range. (That's why it goes ON for a second then switches OFF again.) I can tweak the software to open up the range a little more, but I'll have to reprogramme your MPC. Give me a day or so to correlate the data you gathered to some hard numbers here. I'll be back!
                KMc Designs

Comment

• vital.spark
                  Commander
                  • May 2010

Hello Kevin,

The Transmitter I use here in Christchurch is 72 MHZ and is the WFLY FT06-C. This is the legal frequancy for boat use in New Zealand. The FT06-C can be used for both Helicopter and Airplane. If you have a copy of the user manual for the 06-A, the 06-C functions are also included. I have it switched for Airplane. There ar 2 pots which can be adjusted in Helicopter mode for pitch trim lenght and pitch zero trim, but have noted that in Airplane mode the 2 pots are of no use!

Regards,

Myron

Comment

• Kazzer
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by vital.spark
                    Hello Kevin,

The Transmitter I use here in Christchurch is 72 MHZ and is the WFLY FT06-C. This is the legal frequancy for boat use in New Zealand. The FT06-C can be used for both Helicopter and Airplane. If you have a copy of the user manual for the 06-A, the 06-C functions are also included. I have it switched for Airplane. There ar 2 pots which can be adjusted in Helicopter mode for pitch trim lenght and pitch zero trim, but have noted that in Airplane mode the 2 pots are of no use!

Regards,

Myron
                    Your experience with this radio would be useful if explained on our Wfly section.

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• KevinMc
                      Commander
                      • Feb 2009

Hi Myron,

Thanks for those details - every little bit helps! I'm somewhat familiar with the FT06-C, and as you pointed out it is covered by the generic FT06 manual that comes with the FT06-A (which I'm very familiar with). I'll double check tonight, but as best as I can recall the FT06-C in airplane mode behaves exactly like a FT06-A.
                      KMc Designs

Comment

• KevinMc
                        Commander
                        • Feb 2009

I'm pleased to report that this problem has been resolved with revised software. Thanks for your patience Myron!
                        KMc Designs

Comment

• vital.spark
                          Commander
                          • May 2010

Hello Kevin,

I want to thank you again and would like to inform all members how lucky we are to have you as a member and supplier. I must also say the same of David Merriman who with out his help I would have blown up the 2 subs I've completed in the last 8 months.

Regards,

Myron

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            • Aug 2008

Myron,

Do you know how rare are guys like you who actually build and finish this ****!? ....

Thank you!

Glad to help.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...