• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 639mpa
    Lieutenant
    • Nov 2010

ADF2 Zero Bubble Calibration

Hi
    I got a new Viper Sub 10 from Caswell. Hooked it up and everything works fine! I have a 2.5" SubDriver With ESC, ADF2, LiPo Guard, Snort, Sombra 8 receiver and a Tracker III.
    All are connected properly(checked by an officer like Rig for Dive). Setup mode performed step by step.
    All the systems work: Fairwater Planes, Rudder, Stern Planes, Snort and Ballast Vent/Blow, Speed(ahead & astern).
    I performed the zero Bubble Calibration ( press and hold set button 1/2 second). It says that the green LED will flash quickly for 2 sec. What I get is Green Solid while the red flashes quickly. I have done setup and zero bubble at least 5 times. Am I missing something or is there a problem with my ADF2? After each calibration I then move the ADF2 at different angles but get no servo movement. I turned off the tx and got a full blow from the failsafe
    Thanks
  • KevinMc
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

Hi Bob,

Other than the lack of servo movement what you describe is correct - Zero bubble cal is a solid green with a quickly flashing red. (The manual needs to be updated.) After you've completed the zero bubble cal when you pitch the equipment tray up and down do you see the green LED come back on at your programmed zero bubble angle? When the ADF2 first starts up it automatically drives the planes to a neutral setting - have you observed this? If you drive the planes directly from your receiver does the servo behave as expected?
    Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
    KMc Designs

Comment

• 639mpa
      Lieutenant
      • Nov 2010

The stern planes work when not connected thru the ADF2. They also work when connected. However,after I set it up and set zero bubble the planes do not move as I move the ADF2 from zero angle to full 90 degrees or any position in between.I ordered another from caswell and see what happens. If it works then its the first ADF2 if it doesn't then it's a sub/radio/me problem. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

Comment

• KevinMc
        Commander
        • Feb 2009

Hi Bob,

Well while your new one is in transit let's see if we can't get a few things figured out about the one you have...

When you first turn on the receiver (with the ADF2 connected, transmitter already turned on) the ADF2 will flash its LEDs to tell you a little about its health and what signals it's seeing. The first thing you should see is both the red and green LEDs come on, this is the power on self test in action. Next there's a sequence of green and red "blinks", this is the received signal analysis. (Since you're using the failsafe and it's working I expect this to be either Green-Green-Red or Green-Red-Green.) Please tell me what you're seeing here.

Once the initialization is complete does the zero-bubble LED turn off when you pitch the equipment tray off zero-bubble? Does the zero-bubble LED turn on/blink when you return the tray to the "zero bubble" attitude? Answers to these will tell me a little about how your ADF2 is setup. Thanks,
        KMc Designs

Comment

• 639mpa
          Lieutenant
          • Nov 2010

ADF2

Hi
          When I power up the LED goes green then red followed by a blink pattern of green green red followed bu a solid green. On zero bubble it is on and when I pitch the tray off zero it still stays solid green and the planes do not move. The planes and blow/vent sticks control their respective functions.
          Thanks, Bob

Comment

• KevinMc
            Commander
            • Feb 2009

Hi Bob,

Thanks for checking - this is good information. The green-gree-red blink pattern confirms that the ADF2 is reading both command signals properly. I'm puzzled by the power-on test results which you've described as the LED goes green then red - the programming drives the LEDs either with Red + Green (power on test = pass) or Red only (power on test = fail). The code isn't set up to give "green then red".

The fact that the green LED never turns off after the initialization is also a good clue as to what's going on. I managed to replicate this behaviour by improperly setting the full-rise command during the setup procedure, it's possible that you've inadvertently done the same thing? Please go through the Pitch Control Setup procedure again, being very careful that during the full-rise command section you set the pitch stick to command full rise and hold it there while pushing the setup button. (If you disconnect the ballast control lead from your receiver before doing this it will save you from having to re-programme the ballast failsafe settings.)

Please let me know if this helps.
            KMc Designs

Comment

• 639mpa
              Lieutenant
              • Nov 2010

Stern Planes are on channel 6 which is a knob not a stick. I set it on zero with the pointer at 12 O'clock. The next step I turn to full rise and then push the setup button. After that do I return to zero before going on to program ballast fail safe? Are we getting close to identifying the problem. It seems we are homing in ot.
              Bob

Comment

• KevinMc
                Commander
                • Feb 2009

Hi Bob,

I certainly hope we're homing in on it, although I admit I'm still not sure if it's a setup issue or a bad unit. Let's go over what you've posted step by step.

Originally posted by 639mpa
                Stern Planes are on channel 6 which is a knob not a stick. I set it on zero with the pointer at 12 O'clock.
                That's OK, the ADF will work with a dial too. Your first button press happens here, right? (Not including the initial press to get into setup mode.)
                Originally posted by 639mpa
                The next step I turn to full rise and then push the setup button. After that do I return to zero before going on to program ballast fail safe?
                Yes. Set dial to full rise, push button (second time). Return dial to 12 o'clock, point bow at ceiling, push button (third time). If you've got your ballast lead disconnected from the Rx the ADF should immediately drop out ot setup mode here.

Just to be absolutely certain there's nothing "funny" going on I've replicated your exact setup here (Tracker III/Sombra/ADF2 w/ ballast lead on ch4 and pitch lead on ch6) and I've confirmed that everything should be working just fine. (Actually I could have skipped this step since this is the exact setup I used in my KILO for a long time but I want to be thorough.)

Can you have another careful look at the Power-On Self Test result? This can be observed more easily if you turn on the Rx with the Tx off because only the POST will cause the LEDs to flash. It should be either Red + Green or Red only, then nothing.

Also, do you recall if you tried the ADF2 before configuring it for your particular setup? (It ships with a generic setup already programmed in so you can set it up on the bench and watch it work.) Did it mis-behave like this right out of the box (so to speak) or did this only start after you ran the setup routine?

Thanks for your patience, we'll get there!
                KMc Designs

Comment

• 639mpa
                  Lieutenant
                  • Nov 2010

Hi,
                  I received the NEW ADF2 from Caswell today. Installed and went thru setup and clibration with zero bubble and everythng worked perfectly. Now this is go. I'll send the other one back for warranty tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.
                  Bob

Comment

• KevinMc
                    Commander
                    • Feb 2009

ADF2 arrived today, problem found. The power on self test was actually failing - red only on startup, not red + green. This is indicative of a sensor problem. As it turns out there was a bad solder joint on the board. I'll have it on it's way back to you tomorrow.
                    KMc Designs

Comment

Working...