• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plastic66
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2009

Plastic cleaner

Hi Dave,

You use Crystal White as part of your cleaning plastic solution. I can't seem to find it around where I live. What exactly is it, and what is a good subsitiute?
    Thank you
  • plastic66
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2009

I found my answers, I'll keep looking for it :)

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Crystal White is a detergent.

A detergent is - a detergent. I don't care what the brand name is, the chemistry is the same, the detergent molecule latches to the oil molecule and changes it into a soap which dissolves in water.

So, any detergent will do, don't waste your time looking for a brand name.

However, Softscrub goes a stage further and has a mild abrasive mixed into it, as well as a bleach. It will work better than Crystal White.
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• plastic66
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jun 2009

Great, thanks Mike for the info. I'll look for Softscrub at the market.

Comment

• plastic66
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by kazzer
          Crystal White is a detergent.

A detergent is - a detergent. I don't care what the brand name is, the chemistry is the same, the detergent molecule latches to the oil molecule and changes it into a soap which dissolves in water.

So, any detergent will do, don't waste your time looking for a brand name.

However, Softscrub goes a stage further and has a mild abrasive mixed into it, as well as a bleach. It will work better than Crystal White.
          Thanks Mike for the good advice. I FINALLY went out today and bought me some detergent. I washed all my kit parts and am ready to start building.

I promise once I figure how to down load potos on the fourm, I will post my build. I have been documenting my progress evey step of the way.

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by plastic66

I promise once I figure how to down load photos on the forum, I will post my build. I have been documenting my progress every step of the way.

Just edit your profile and add an album there. Then you can upload your photos to our site. Once there, copy the URL of the photo and then click on the yellow icon with the mountain and sun above where you enter text to post here. Then paste the URL in there and it will place the photo withing the text of your post.

Or, you can simply upload the photo by clicking on the paperclip. This will place it below the post. I think you can post 5 at a time like that.
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• sunworksco
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Apr 2009

Cleaner

You can use trisodium phosphate or Cascade dishwashing detergent.If you have a sub small enough to fit into your dishwasher,you can wash your sub with warm water on the upper shelf.No warmer than 115 degrees.Just adjust your water heater thermostat.

Comment

• plastic66
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jun 2009

I have used that TSP in liquid state for undecorated HO shells. TSP works also, I am useing a dishwashing detergent solition for my subs. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...