X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vital.spark
    Commander
    • May 2010

Revell Gato retract mechanism

David, I’ve finished with the building of my Revell Gato andshe is now ready to paint. There is onething I’ve yet to do and that is to secure the dive plane retract mechanisminto place. The planes are connected andit seems that the mounting wants to move up and down and tilt a bit when both planesare moved together up and down. I’m abit reluctant to CA it into place until I’ve got the set up correct? What would be your advice on how to position themechanism prior to CAing?
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by vital.spark
    David, I’ve finished with the building of my Revell Gato andshe is now ready to paint. There is onething I’ve yet to do and that is to secure the dive plane retract mechanisminto place. The planes are connected andit seems that the mounting wants to move up and down and tilt a bit when both planesare moved together up and down. I’m abit reluctant to CA it into place until I’ve got the set up correct? What would be your advice on how to position themechanism prior to CAing?

Get the retract mechanism in there where you get unbinding and full travel of the planes from retracted to deployed. Compress the hull with some sort of clamping device (rubber bands are what I use) so that the two halves of the bow compress onto the outboard edges of the retract mechanism foundation plate. Tack glue it in place with some CA (So, that if you got it wrong, you can still break it free without too much death and destruction). After the glue cures a bit, test for correct operation. If all is well, finish gluing the thing in place. If not, break the bond and try again.

We will never speak of this again!

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...