X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reddevil
    Commander
    • Jun 2009

Receiver antenna length

Good day for all at the beginning of a brand new week.
    As I've seen in your SD, you keep receiver antenna coiled inside the SD, connected to a piece of metal that passes through the rear bulkhead of the SD, and twith another piece of antenna atached to the external end of that metal piece. As I'm making an scratch build SD for an AKULA II, I'm going to follow that arrengement fot the receiver antenna, but: What is the length of antenna to be put in the outer part of the SD? I think it's important because somewhere I've read that you can fry part of your electronics if the antenna length is not correct.
    Taking the chance, please, confirm me if the SD for the TRUMPETER SEAWOLF we talked about some weeks ago is shipped, because I've had some problems with mail last days, and some things have been lost.

Regards, Juan C. Jorquera.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by reddevil
    Good day for all at the beginning of a brand new week.
    As I've seen in your SD, you keep receiver antenna coiled inside the SD, connected to a piece of metal that passes through the rear bulkhead of the SD, and twith another piece of antenna atached to the external end of that metal piece. As I'm making an scratch build SD for an AKULA II, I'm going to follow that arrengement fot the receiver antenna, but: What is the length of antenna to be put in the outer part of the SD? I think it's important because somewhere I've read that you can fry part of your electronics if the antenna length is not correct.
    Taking the chance, please, confirm me if the SD for the TRUMPETER SEAWOLF we talked about some weeks ago is shipped, because I've had some problems with mail last days, and some things have been lost.

Regards, Juan C. Jorquera.
    Juan,

Last things first: I boxed up your replacement SD two weeks ago, but I have not had the funds to send it off yet -- will soon have money in hand and your items will be in the mail. Don't panic, I have not sent it yet. Sorry about the delay.

As to the antenna: The total length of the SD antenna must be the same length as the antenna provided on the receiver when you first un-box it. The antenna is a component of a 'tuned circuit'; the front-end of the receiver that discriminates a specific frequency from all the signals (man made and cosmic) forever flying around us in the radio band. It's the length (and to some degree the shape) of the antenna that dictates how well it grabs the specific frequency we wish to select out of the either.

Total SD antenna length is the length of the antenna from the receiver to the dry-side of the antenna lug (the 6-32 or 4-40 threaded rod) plus the length of the external antenna, attached to the wet-side of the antenna lug. SD antenna length = virgin receiver antenna length.

Nothing devastating happens to the receiver if the antenna length is off -- it just reduces the effective range of the receiver.

Hope to get your SD out this week.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• reddevil
      Commander
      • Jun 2009

Thanks again for your unvaluable aid. Please, excuse me for forgetting "the sensible thing". If it's possible to send it by Pay Pal, e - mail me the address to: jcjorquera@mapa.es, and will be done at the moment.

Juan C. Jorquera.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

No. No charge.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• reddevil
          Commander
          • Jun 2009

OH! Thank you very much.