Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
    As I've said before, I have NO intention of turning one of my hobbies into a business. No fun in that!
    I'm weird but Not that crazy! :DLOL:D

We're suggesting that people like Futaba need to change their ways. ;)
    How would that effect your business to a great extent?
    Wouldn't change a thing on this end, Rick. But, it would help open up the flood-gates to those Wal-Mart morons who would eventually crowd us away from the shore, just as they have done at the flight-line.

I like it the way it is now, just a small elite, playing with their toy submarines.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Waste of time trying to compete with the Far East when it comes to volume electronic products. Added to that, a lot of it has already been done.

A lot of these ideas have been integrated into the 2.4GHZ sets, unfortunately none of this seems to have been ported over to the older bands. Sooner or later the large R/C companies will drop the older surface and air frequencies as the market for them diminishes to almost zero. Already a look in my local hobby store can't unearth a set for sale that isn't 2.4GHZ. It's really quite amazing how quickly it's swept away the older stuff.

When the day comes that you can no longer get a receiver or new TX from Futaba/JR/Sanwa et al, there may be an opportunity for a smaller outfit to exploit a niche market.

Comment

• toppack
        Rear Admiral
        • Nov 2008

it would help open up the flood-gates to those Wal-Mart morons who would eventually crowd us away from the shore
        Okay, I think I understand what you're saying but it's difficult for me to see how the development of a new improved RC system would do that?:confused:
        Since RC systems sales is dominated by Off-shore based companies already. It could be thought of as a World market since Futaba is sold world-wide, and has become the standard to compare other systems to.
        Last edited by toppack; 03-16-2009, 05:06 PM.
        Rick L.
        --------------------------------------------
        * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
        Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• toppack
          Rear Admiral
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
          . Sooner or later the large R/C companies will drop the older surface and air frequencies as the market for them diminishes to almost zero.
          Yes, That has worried me also. That's why I bought up a lot the older receivers and servos, to match my Trusty ol' Xmitter. :)
          Rick L.
          --------------------------------------------
          * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
          Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
            Waste of time trying to compete with the Far East when it comes to volume electronic products. Added to that, a lot of it has already been done.

A lot of these ideas have been integrated into the 2.4GHZ sets, unfortunately none of this seems to have been ported over to the older bands. Sooner or later the large R/C companies will drop the older surface and air frequencies as the market for them diminishes to almost zero. Already a look in my local hobby store can't unearth a set for sale that isn't 2.4GHZ. It's really quite amazing how quickly it's swept away the older stuff.

When the day comes that you can no longer get a receiver or new TX from Futaba/JR/Sanwa et al, there may be an opportunity for a smaller outfit to exploit a niche market.

Now, that is an astute observation. I too am amazed at how (so it seems) quickly the transition has been to market exclusively multiplexed, high-frequency r/c gear. And the smart man today, who does offer the 75mHz (or 27mHz) later, will likely make a tidy profit for himself.

This is not lost on Mr. Caswell, I'm sure.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
              Vice Admiral
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
              WOW! John! I'm going to borrow bits of that and put it in my article on ballast systems! Excellent description of the problem, in my opinion! I'll drink to THAT!
              Guys a facinating thread - even though it is some way now from dynamic and static diving.

Mike pt 5 re DD relates to signal loss.
              The use of an ESC in DD with an onboard fail safe that cuts the motor is good in that if you are submerged only by dynamic forces you should upon having the momentum halted come back up. If you are deep enough to not require the dynamic force to hold you under, killing the motor is still good as it means the boat won't continue under propulsion on a course into the deep. i.e. It might be easier to retrieve.

Rigging the planes up on a fail safe has limited effect in that planes require some momentum. With the motor off, the boat will still have some momentum for a little while, but there is no guarantee that this is enough to act with the planes to get you to a depth where the boats positive displacement can pop you back to the surface.

In short a ballast tank emptied at depth is the only reasonable way I believe to deal with this issue.

J
              Last edited by Slats; 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM.
              John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
              Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

You guys must be diving pretty deep. I've known dynamic divers to get into difficulty, usually as a result of getting caught in weeds, which tends to happen with very quick boats like Delphins- the boat's nimbleness outwits the ability of the pilot/commander, or because the pressure hull is poorly designed.

The Robbe boat is a well designed bit of kit though, with a rigid cylindrical pressure vessel, which makes me wonder if the problem was something electrical rather than mechanical.

I wouldn't run a boat in a big lake without some form of location buoy or a pinger. The latter, with the use of a hydrophone almost guarantees the recovery of your pride and joy.

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Andy they don't intend to go deep - but the guys who have them and lost them needed either:
                  (A) so much speed that the lost control of the boat and it unintentionally went deeper
                  OR
                  (B) lost signal and had no ballast tank to blow
                  OR (C) ballasted the thing too low in the water to overcome the speed problem that loss in shallow water was also an issue.

J
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                  Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

Working...